Vent...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veilside

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, i'm new to this site. i'm applying to med school right now and today was not a good day for me for some reason. i realized that this is the first time in my life that there is a very possible chance that i might fail. all my life, i was so used to succeeding in everything that i do. even if it was challenging, it was ok b/c i knew that i could do it. but this is a whole new ballgame, and something that i've never felt before, so much anxiety and pressure. ugh...i wish my parents would just leave me alone and let me go into something easy like sanitation...

sorry for the negative tone...

Members don't see this ad.

Failure shmailure.

If you're not doing this for yourself, you may never be happy. Medicine is a tough field, and only those who are committed to it succeed.

I'm sorry, I cannot empathize. Hell, I can't sympathize either. Frankly, I think you're out of your mind. Find another career path so enthusiastic people like me can get into medical school.

Disconcerted,
Sham

Hey, veilside, finding SDN is half the battle of getting in!! :) So cheer up, ignore your parents, get some good advice here, and then do what's right for you. I take it that sanitation comment was a small attempt at a joke. Believe me, you really don't want to do this, unless you really do want to do it! :D But if you do, SDN makes it a lot more fun!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ignore naysayers...it sounds like you need a good day of rest & relaxation with no thought toward med school. Hopefully then you'll be able to see this ordeal in a different light. :)

Relax! It will be okay. Things always look better in the morning. And here on SDN we are all worried about not getting in. But not getting in doesn't make you a failure. There are so many great people on the boards here and some people didn't get in the first time! The process is stressful, but we wouldn't be doing if it we didn't want it so badly! So just enjoy each day and don't let the application process get you down too much. Cheers.

Originally posted by Veilside
ugh...i wish my parents would just leave me alone and let me go into something easy like sanitation...

How can you guys encourage this sort of thought? As the NYU catalogue says, "Physician indifference is a major patient criticism". This fellow needs to find a career that will captivate his interest for years, or else he's bound not to succeed. Parents should NOT be a sole factor in the decision to become a physician.

[steadfast]

Sham

Originally posted by shamthis
How can you guys encourage this sort of thought? As the NYU catalogue says, "Physician indifference is a major patient criticism". This fellow needs to find a career that will captivate his interest for years, or else he's bound not to succeed. Parents should NOT be a sole factor in the decision to become a physician.

[steadfast]

Sham

my parents are NOT the sole factor in my decision to become a physician. trust me, if i didn't want to do this, i would not be letting myself go through this s**thole of a process. SMW is right, the sanitation was just a joke, a bad one i admit.
what i meant about my parents was that they're giving me so much pressure w/o them realizing that they're doing it. they never forced me to go into anything. i hope you get into your med school of choice sham, but don't you ever question my way of life and what i'm trying to accomplish.

Veilside, please accept my apologies. I misunderstood your first post; this is a strenuous process for us all.

Sham

Originally posted by shamthis
Veilside, please accept my apologies. I misunderstood your first post; this is a strenuous process for us all.

Sham

no need to apologize at all. you're probably just as stressed out as i am. and i thought i was the only one going through hell. hey if there's a will, there's a way right?

Hang in there, Veilside. Think of it this way: Just get through this awful process, and God willing, you never have to go through it again. Once you get just one acceptance, this part of the game is over forever. It will happen before you know it.
I understand what you mean about the parents. Mine would never dream of pressuring me intentionally, but to them it is a foregone conclusion that I will have my choice of multiple acceptances, just because I've always done so well in the past. I try to explain to them that this is a different league than everything else I've done, but I guess it's something you have to experience firsthand to understand. Their high expectations put even more pressure on me, while I am simply praying and hoping beyond hope to get just one acceptance. I just try to remind myself that they love me unconditionally, and this is their way of showing their faith in me.

Originally posted by scienceriot
Stay away from threads like "Post yer stats!" and beware people with their MCAT scores incorporated into their usernames (may I present drkevin40).

I propose we started calling him DrKevin36, as his original name could have been. :p :p :p

-RA

Originally posted by scienceriot
it is weird to feel such assuredness from them while I have all the self confidence of a sea cucumber.

Its haaaaaard being the mom! We want to encourage you and instill confidence, yet let you know you have our unconditional love regardless of the outcome.
We have ancient wisdom that tells us that our progeny is without a doubt the best thing that ever happened to planet earth, yet deal with the sea cucumber mentality.
While lurking on SDN we have to see and hear how hard you are on yourselves and each other-all the time knowing that your generation is the saving grace of ours.

That said, get your ass in gear, Scienceriot, and get the Johns Hopkins secondary in! They invited you for a secondary for goodness sake! You think you know more than the adcom? Who died and put you on the admissions committee for Johns Hopkins? And then read the interview feedback for them-prepare, and get ready...I know you're going to be asked for an interview!!!!:D

wow, I have a feeling this is Silvercolla's mom. . . . LOL

May I hire you to motivate me like this too??? :( I am feeling quite lost lately with this whole process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
May I hire you to motivate me like this too???

Tweetie, say the word and I'll motivate you! I've read at least your last 300 posts and actually I do have a thing or two to say to you.

Is "vent" a good place to motivate?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i am rolling... scienceriot, how freaking funny that your mom showed up here (and with the username of "ma!" to boot!) and is posting in this thread.

i think if my mom could figure out a message board (we've got her setup w/hotmail and some online greeting card services, that's all she needs) then she'd be on here too.

i'm still laughing.... it's great. :)

Hi Ma! and welcome to SDN. Your post was hilarious, but it did give me some insight into parents. Now all we need is Slivercholla's mom and SDN will really be rocking!:laugh:

Originally posted by Ma!
Tweetie, say the word and I'll motivate you! I've read at least your last 300 posts and actually I do have a thing or two to say to you.

Is "vent" a good place to motivate?

That is adorable! Gosh, yes yes, please motivate me. I have an appointment with my last LOR person and I feel a bit scared....I had to write my own LOR and I don't know if he will agree with all the gloating I feel like I did.

Let me know everything you have to say to me, either here or on PM. I'll try and brave through any constructive criticism.

Thanks much!!
Tweetie

PS: Scienceriot, your mom ROCKS!! I think I'll convince my own mom to browse here. :D I wanna be mommied. :(

Originally posted by hokiedoc
Hi Ma! and welcome to SDN. Your post was hilarious, but it did give me some insight into parents. Now all we need is Slivercholla's mom and SDN will really be rocking!:laugh:

:eek: I popped my head in just to see what this was about and almost fell out of my chair!!!! One mom is enough!!! TRUST ME!!!

You are probably right!!! We just love the stories. Hope everything is going well and good luck handling your mom!

Gosh, yes yes, please motivate me. :(

Tweetie-you sell yourself waaaaay too short! You are a totally capable and acceptable applicant and you SHOULD write yourself a glowing LOR.
Of course, I don't believe you posted your stats on the "post yer stats" thread, but everything else you have written about yourself seems totally in congress with what a med school would be looking for in an ideal applicant. PLUS, you are moving AND getting married! Cut yourself some slack for not having everything together, work like hell to get yourself together.

And Tweetie, if its not medical school for you, you have shown yourself to be an incredibly caring advocate and mediator on this forum. There is something good in store for you-
good luck, sweetie!

:rolleyes:
what can I say?? its a mom thang!

Originally posted by Ma!
Its haaaaaard being the mom! We want to encourage you and instill confidence, yet let you know you have our unconditional love regardless of the outcome.
We have ancient wisdom that tells us that our progeny is without a doubt the best thing that ever happened to planet earth, yet deal with the sea cucumber mentality.
While lurking on SDN we have to see and hear how hard you are on yourselves and each other-all the time knowing that your generation is the saving grace of ours.

That said, get your ass in gear, Scienceriot, and get the Johns Hopkins secondary in! They invited you for a secondary for goodness sake! You think you know more than the adcom? Who died and put you on the admissions committee for Johns Hopkins? And then read the interview feedback for them-prepare, and get ready...I know you're going to be asked for an interview!!!!:D

oh, i just love it! Ma! you are fabulous, and scienceriot....too cute!
Silver....mommies are cute, even when they're crazy :)
i'd like to quote my mom's inspiration to me:

2nd semester sophomore year....chopsuey is dying while taking orgo, physics, neurobio, calc II and an upper level french:

chops: mom, i'm so stressed out! I don't want to do this anymore!!. ...what would you do if i just dropped out of school right now???

momz: (laughing) well, suey, in india, when girls don't want to go to school anymore, they get married....we could do that!

chops: mom, who would want to marry me if i drop out of school and don't do anything with my life?

momz: someone lazy, just like you!

OUCH! but i almost fell over laughing! :laugh: how's that for inspiration?

anyway, where's spidey...i'm surprised he's not dying at the idea of meeting an actual mom since he's crazy about silver's!!!

this thread just made me smile....yay for great venting thread that actually make people feel so much better! :clap:

May I hire you to motivate me like this too??? :( I am feeling quite lost lately with this whole process.

Tweetie,
As your official PM buddy, I have to say...get to work!!! :)
I will be sending a PM soon and I want to hear great things about progress. Meanwhile, i am lagging....
Bounty

Originally posted by SouthernGirl
Mine would never dream of pressuring me intentionally, but to them it is a foregone conclusion that I will have my choice of multiple acceptances, just because I've always done so well in the past.

Wow, this is exactly what my moms is like... When I told her my top choice school and how I'd love to go there but since it is one of the most competitive schools in north america to get in that I prob won't get accepted she just rolled her eyes and said 'You will get in' My mother honestly believes that if I wanted to I could become the first king of earth, eliminate hunger and disease and bring about world peace...

Welcome to SDN Veilside and Ma.

Originally posted by Ma!
Tweetie-you sell yourself waaaaay too short! You are a totally capable and acceptable applicant and you SHOULD write yourself a glowing LOR.
Of course, I don't believe you posted your stats on the "post yer stats" thread, but everything else you have written about yourself seems totally in congress with what a med school would be looking for in an ideal applicant. PLUS, you are moving AND getting married! Cut yourself some slack for not having everything together, work like hell to get yourself together.

And Tweetie, if its not medical school for you, you have shown yourself to be an incredibly caring advocate and mediator on this forum. There is something good in store for you-
good luck, sweetie!

Gosh you are right. I could really work on that esteem thang. I didn't even realize how much I am doing until I saw you list it. LOL. I didn't post my stats because I am not particularly proud of them.

In any case, Bounty, you will be happy to hear that I finished a lot of stuff today and yesterday. I am so tired with all the moving anxiety and marriage plans.....I almost had a nervous breakdown the other day while I was doing my bridal registry. I feel bad for my fiance because often times he becomes like a punching bag for me when I am all riled up because things are not coming together. Anybody else suffering through insomnia this time of the year??? I could use a nap. :(