venting about ob-gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChiaPet312

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm currently on my ob-gyn rotation. i'm unhappy. unhappy. unhappy. i'm trying to look at the bright side of things and tell myself that there are ONLY 4 more weeks to go, but to no avail. i hate waking up at 5 and going in to round. i hate scrubbing in on cases. i hate wearing scrubs. i miss my shoes. and slacks. i hate mean ppl. i hate how competitive residents are with each other. i hate being stressed. i don't know how to suture. i feel stupid. i hate not having time to read. i hate feeling like a ******* when i'm in the OR. i hate holding up a patient's stomach while a c-section is being peformed. i hate sticking a speculum into a vagina only to have it pop right back out into my face cuz the woman has vaginal walls of steel.

okay. i'm done venting. i apologize for all the hating. this was just a rant.

i'm gonna go get a couple of hours of sleep before my freaking call.

Members don't see this ad.

yea OB/GYN does suck for some of the reasons you listed,but like most of third year, it sucks doing it, but good to have done it. it will be over soon, with a schedual so hectic, time goes by pretty fast. Just make sure you find some time to get your reading and assignments done...if you hate it this much, it will realy suck the second time around.

but i did enjoy some of the stuff you listed.... like scrubs, i enjoy wearing PJ's all day.

i'm currently on my ob-gyn rotation. i'm unhappy. unhappy. unhappy. i'm trying to look at the bright side of things and tell myself that there are ONLY 4 more weeks to go, but to no avail. i hate waking up at 5 and going in to round. i hate scrubbing in on cases. i hate wearing scrubs. i miss my shoes. and slacks. i hate mean ppl. i hate how competitive residents are with each other. i hate being stressed. i don't know how to suture. i feel stupid. i hate not having time to read. i hate feeling like a ******* when i'm in the OR. i hate holding up a patient's stomach while a c-section is being peformed. i hate sticking a speculum into a vagina only to have it pop right back out into my face cuz the woman has vaginal walls of steel.

Look at the bright side...you have ruled out a surgical career!

Sorry to hear you arent enjoying it. I think everyone hits a clerkship that they really dont enjoy. Mine was a family med rotation...not the specialty, but the location and company I was working with.

Stick it out...time will go by quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I absolutely hated OB-GYN. I told people that I would rather be dead than be an OB-GYN. The job, the hours, the people. Ugghhhhh... Pure torture.

But then I did General Surgery, and it was possibly the one job in this world that's even ****tier than OB-GYN. During General Surgery, I actually recalled some favorable aspects of OB-GYN: "Boy, the job was real ****, but at least I got to eat breakfast and lunch... And during L&D, I just sat around most of the time, which was pretty cool."

:laugh:

Am I the only person here that had the time of their life on OB/GYN? It was so much fun. Sure, there are gonna be some bad apples as residents on each rotation, but I just don't get why this specialty continues to get a bad reputation. It's kinda sad.

Am I the only person here that had the time of their life on OB/GYN? It was so much fun. Sure, there are gonna be some bad apples as residents on each rotation, but I just don't get why this specialty continues to get a bad reputation. It's kinda sad.

And you will most likely go into OBGYN now.......at least that's the trend I've observed.:oops:

For 95% of med students, especially young men and good-looking women, OB is the worst rotation ever, with evil/condescending/passive aggressive/etc. residents and nurses and scrub techs.........

and then there's the 5% or so of students (more often non-traditionals, but not always) who got a good resident who liked to teach, and worked at a hospital with cordial nurses, etc, and then it's the "miracle of life" and "the best of both worlds, with medicine AND surgery!" These students typically go into OB, with their classmates thinking "WTF?!?"

I'll steal this thread and vent about my current predicament since I'm on OB right now and on call.

So thus far its been a pretty quiet night here. But since some fools on the previous rotation have lost the keys to the student on call rooms (usually 2 for medicine and 1 for ob; at least when i had done medicine here).

Well since then they've done some remodeling of the on call rooms to fix them up some. Now its also a free for all now that the surgeon, tech, whatever on call rooms are in the same area.

And no keys being available (probably confused everyone now).

Basically some bitchy ass women of indian decent (not trying to be predigious or anything) were screaming at me because one of them took every on call room to be a single when 1 room has 4 beds and the other has 2 beds. Usually its if there are 2 women and 1 male, the 2 women share the on call room.

So now I'm on call and dead tired and without a freaking place to sleep. And this is such a run down hospital there is no library worth sleeping or anything place like that.

Best I can do is take a patient room

I concur, OB/GYN sucks.

1) the hours are awful
2) I hated scrubbing into surgery with those biatchy scrub nurses and moody surgeons
and the worst: 3) being in a ghetto hospital with 'unhygenic' patients who havn't taken a shower in 1 + months.

ob/gyn does suck; i hate it too. waking up at 5 was late on my ob/gyn clerkship. i did the math, and the average time i had to be at the hospital during my 8 week rotation was 4:30, so average wake-up time was 3:30. at least you've got that going for you. :thumbup:

Hate it to bits too...
People say that the attendings are the ones who make you hate it, and if you go to a place when you're practicing and the people there are nice, you might eventually like it and make it your specialty...but I really don't see myself doing it..

I am not going into OB (going into IM) and I had a great experience. I worked at a smaller community hospital in Ohio and got to deliver (between the other med student) over 50 babies either observing, under supervision, or as 1st assist. There were no residents because it was a smaller hospital and had only an FP residency; and there was an older OB doc there who would do all kinds of things and was awesome--got to witness a breech birth vaginally and lots of forceps, etc. I actually got more suturing experience there than on my surgery rotation. I guess, reading these other posts, I was lucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I agree it sucked, I learned a ton by doing looking back now.

Mine sucked, and I didn't learn much of anything -- even the pelvic exam I learned better on ED.

Anka

Well, if it's any consolation, you're not alone. ;)

Just in case you haven't seen this cartoon before: http://theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/obgyn1.html
I hope my OB/GYN rotation is like that cartoon :laugh:

Originally Posted by ChiaPet312
...the woman has vaginal walls of steel.
Ordinarily this would be a good thing
I was thinking the same thing.....

got to deliver (between the other med student) over 50 babies either observing, under supervision
That's your idea of a good time? I fully intend to ask my attending or resident "Look, I know as a student I'm probably a huge annoyance and hinderance to your practice, so let's just be honest.....I want to learn what I'm required to, but I don't want to be an undue burden. What's the minimum I have to do to earn a passing grade? Just tell me that and I'll make myself scarce for the rest of the rotation."

got to witness a breech birth vaginally

You haven't seen one until you've had one in the field.....That is my definition of a nightmare call and I hope I NEVER see that again.

I hope my OB/GYN rotation is like that cartoon :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing.....

That's your idea of a good time? I fully intend to ask my attending or resident "Look, I know as a student I'm probably a huge annoyance and hinderance to your practice, so let's just be honest.....I want to learn what I'm required to, but I don't want to be an undue burden. What's the minimum I have to do to earn a passing grade? Just tell me that and I'll make myself scarce for the rest of the rotation."

You haven't seen one until you've had one in the field.....That is my definition of a nightmare call and I hope I NEVER see that again.

I don't think that comment is a good idea for any rotation; but you could try it and see what happens. Just remember that a lot of OBs talk about how terrible their profession is, but don't really want to hear it from some med student who hasn't practiced yet. Grin and bare it. Try to learn enough for boards.

I don't think that comment is a good idea for any rotation; but you could try it and see what happens. Just remember that a lot of OBs talk about how terrible their profession is, but don't really want to hear it from some med student who hasn't practiced yet. Grin and bare it. Try to learn enough for boards.
Oh, it's interesting on an academic level (but then again so is forensic entomology, but that doesn't mean I want to deal with maggots eating a body either).....but I just have no desire to deliver any more kids (at 4 and counting) than I have to.

I thought that's what the patients were supposed to do, not the med students. Don't be offended, I just couldn't resist!

I like this thread.

Actually the attendings on the rotation have been pretty nice, but the residents are just all-PMS, all the time.

Lord am I ever tired of looking at box all day. Ugh. :(

12 days down, 21 to go.

I absolutely hated OB-GYN. I told people that I would rather be dead than be an OB-GYN. The job, the hours, the people. Ugghhhhh... Pure torture.

But then I did General Surgery, and it was possibly the one job in this world that's even ****tier than OB-GYN. During General Surgery, I actually recalled some favorable aspects of OB-GYN: "Boy, the job was real ****, but at least I got to eat breakfast and lunch... And during L&D, I just sat around most of the time, which was pretty cool."

:laugh:

This has never been more true. I'm on surgery now, and it blows compared to OB/GYN. At least C-sects and TAHs/TVHs don't take 8-12 hours to do like Whipples! However, I must admit that on some of these more dreadful rotations (i.e., OB and Surgery), I've experienced some of the best teaching and learned a ton - even if the people aren't the friendliest things in the world.

Just in case you haven't seen this cartoon before: http://theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/obgyn1.html

LOL. I'm actually doing ob-gyn at this suburban CT hospital *right* now. It's not so bad actually. I'm actually enjoying myself immensely, but no, won't be going into obgyn. I've definitely seen some bitchiness, but it hasn't been directed towards me..at least not yet. I've been able to assist on 2 deliveries so far.

-b

Lord am I ever tired of looking at box all day. Ugh.

Dear God, that's the funniest thing I've ever read on here. I about choked on my turkey.

i recently finished ob-gyn and while i was miserable at the time, i miss it a little!! sooo bizarre i know.

i did learn an incredible amount, i got to catch babies and see tons of vag deliveries, c sections and lots of gyn surgeries.

some of the attendings were horrendous. ive never met such mean people. and the residents were VERY pms-y (how ironic). but if you just accept them for who they are and dont care so much, it makes it alot better.

towards the end my friend (fellow 3rd year) and i would just sneak off to the call room when we needed a break and just vent. nobody noticed we were gone. nobody cared. when we realized that, it became a lot better

the only thing good about ob/gyn was the "space booties" that the attendings wore on deliveries.

Copy_of_obgyn_panel_07__Small_.jpg

(and i didn't even get to don them. :( :laugh: )

My attendings never wore these; maybe liked gina juice? (JK)

I made it through all of third year, got 2 weeks into my OB rotation and had to start Prozac. I am not even lying. Lord knows I went into it with a good attitude but something about the residents on L&D just rubbed me the wrong way.

delivery blows. residents and attending suck. no one recruits. who wat to send their entire life dealing with pregnancy and vagina anyway. no wonder everyone is so pissed . . .

I got my one catch and was donezo - I'd take naps so long in the call room, I actually got tired of taking naps. "Hard to find on call . . ." HA! They didnt know the half of it.

The Napoleon Dynamite moon boots were the only plus - I wore those sumsabitges everywhere

Hey, I'm on an OB rotation now. It's not too bad. I don't like OB that much but the OB-Gyn residents here are pretty cool.

The one advantage is that when my wife asks me how my day went, I can say, "I'm bushed."

I liked OB/Gyn. Just took the shelf this morning. Some of my classmates hated it and the main difference for them were the residents they worked with and the site they did it at. The only thing I disliked was Gyn/Onc and that was mainly because it was rather sad, the attendings were great but the patients just depressed me.

OBGYN is by far the worst 3rd has to offer. Sucks in every way. Those who "miss" it afterwards seriously have stockholm syndrome. No feedback, no recruiting. Residents didn't know we were there the whole time. Found negative things to say on evals, that were either untrue or very likely never brought up in their mind except when they put pen to paper.
However, I agree with the space booties, very cool.

OBGYN is by far the worst 3rd has to offer. Sucks in every way. Those who "miss" it afterwards seriously have stockholm syndrome.

:laugh: Y'know, I've always kinda thought the same thing. Good call! :laugh:

OBGYN is by far the worst 3rd has to offer. Sucks in every way. Those who "miss" it afterwards seriously have stockholm syndrome. No feedback, no recruiting. Residents didn't know we were there the whole time. Found negative things to say on evals, that were either untrue or very likely never brought up in their mind except when they put pen to paper.

After my rotation, the residents went around asking about me and my classmates who wrote negative evals of them. Apparently they had gone to the trouble to match up our handwriting to determine who had written what.

It's unfortunate to learn that my school isn't the only place where Ob/Gyn residents demonstrate a complete lack of professionalism.

I've enjoyed reading all your 'vent sessions' but i feel bad that i'm having the complete opposite experience as all of you.

I friggin' love OB and I totally expected to hate everything about it!
i think that's why i've been liking it so much.

i never ever would have considered OB and now it's pretty high on my list.

sorry you guys had whack experiences...some of my classmates were stuck in hospitals with experiences as you guys are describing and I feel bad for those people because the amount of autonomy and cool procedures my hospital allows makes it sooooo worthwhile

Is it just my institution, or are OB GYN residents some of the worst b*****s around? I talked to several people in my rotation, and we agreed these resident chicks seem to genuinely dislike us med students.

Is it just my institution, or are OB GYN residents some of the worst b*****s around? I talked to several people in my rotation, and we agreed these resident chicks seem to genuinely dislike us med students.

no that is just a theme among all obgyn residents. I actually found most attendings and even some fellows to be fairly pleasant. Residents just have a chip on their shoulder because labor and delivery at crappy low income hospitals with many mothers who are on drugs just plain sucks.

They also know pretty much every male med student dislikes their rotation.

The male OB residents are so much better. Try to hang out with them if you can find them.

Yeah I know right. They are super chill, like types I would actually enjoy having a couple of beers with on a Friday night.
The females... something really wrong with them.

However, I agree with the space booties, very cool.

Exactly the same. They gave me 5 out of 9 all across the board in my mid-evals, said "I should speak up more in group sessions and be more confident." Funny thing is, we never even had group sessions, other than rounds where we all had to present anyways, me included.
Apparently all my friends got 6s, I don't know if they actually dislike me specifically for some reason.

It has been quite the week. I feel like my life is stuck in fast forward, and it is all that I can do to just keep ploughing through each day.

The male OB residents are so much better. Try to hang out with them if you can find them.
They were all pretty cool. There were really only a few bad residents on OB/gyn (all girls), but most of the girls were fairly nice too. I guess I'm probably lumping in the few FM residents as well though...

The Ob/Gyn residents were cranky, but I never found them to be quite as bitchy as a lot of people complained about. And anyway, the residents on my inpatient peds month were a heck of a lot crankier, and they're supposed to be the nicest ones in medicine.

You all are just at bad hospitals for OB. As much as you want to vent, be careful because it's a smaller world than you think and you may not be completely anonymous, even on here. Even if you don't want to do OB, work hard on your rotation because it'll come back around to help or hurt you. OB likes to talk, and word will spread about you either way. Bring OB cookies as sacrifice to appease OB. I have no interest in it, but I've made the best of it by reading 1/3 of Harrison's and Sanford on this rotation...just my thoughts.

You all are just at bad hospitals for OB. As much as you want to vent, be careful because it's a smaller world than you think and you may not be completely anonymous, even on here. Even if you don't want to do OB, work hard on your rotation because it'll come back around to help or hurt you. OB likes to talk, and word will spread about you either way. Bring OB cookies as sacrifice to appease OB. I have no interest in it, but I've made the best of it by reading 1/3 of Harrison's and Sanford on this rotation...just my thoughts.

images

You have just highlighted precisely why OB/Gyn is one of the more malignant and catty rotations/specialties in existence.

I guess I lucked out. No residents and no other students. Attendings are decent. Nurses have been great. For surgery, I didn't have to be in til 715am. For office work, I don't have to be in til 8. I do have one 32 hour day comprised of office work for 8 hours and 24 hour call on L&D (get my own on-call room). I'll catch all the babies and do all the procedures that they'll let me do. No weekend work either. 3rd year has been great so far!

yeah who cares.