1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Verbal Killer Passage

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by stiffany, Aug 12, 2006.

1. stiffany

stiffany Hurry up and wait...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi guys. So on the last few practice tests I've taken (AAMC 8 and 7, TPR stuff), there's been one passage where I've missed 2/3 of my "wrong" answers. For instance, today, out of the 8 questions I missed, 5 of them came from a particular passage (10 questions). Does anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid such a "catastrophic" loss of points just from one text? I always end verbal with 5-15 minutes remaining so timing isn't really an issue.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    TPR has always recommended leaving the killer passage till last (or not to do it at all). If timing isn't an issue and you are having a lot of trouble on a passage, just skip it and come back later. If you seriously have 5-10 min remaining, you can almost read the entire passage again and then go through the questions a 2nd time.

4. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    For me I usually couldn't tell if a passage was going to be the killer one until I got to all of the questions for that passage, so YMMV with this strategy.

If you have so much time remaining at the end, I agree that you could come back and re-read the killer passage to double check your answers.

5. bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

:eek:

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Murdering the kitties.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have the same problem, most of my wrong answers come from the same passage. It comes from having a faulty interpretation of the passage, or missing the main point entirely. I eventually got over this hurdle by figuring out when I'm completely off, i.e. questions being asked that you didn't expect, or all four answers being wrong, etc. I then save that passage for last and reread/reinterpret it.

And definitely don't skip it altogether! TPR sucks. Losing out on 10 points is the difference between a 10 :eek: and a 15 :D on VR!

7. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with those passages. the high-skilled/low-skilled one completely killed me. I got like 7 out of the 10 questions wrong.

but generally, I find that those that are easier to read have harder questions while those that are hard to read have easy questions.

8. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yup. and the toughest part is there is no consistency in my verbal scores whatsoever. I've been getting anywhere between 7 to 11 :confused: