1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Verbal Killer Passage

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by stiffany, Aug 12, 2006.

1. stiffany

stiffany Hurry up and wait...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi guys. So on the last few practice tests I've taken (AAMC 8 and 7, TPR stuff), there's been one passage where I've missed 2/3 of my "wrong" answers. For instance, today, out of the 8 questions I missed, 5 of them came from a particular passage (10 questions). Does anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid such a "catastrophic" loss of points just from one text? I always end verbal with 5-15 minutes remaining so timing isn't really an issue.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    TPR has always recommended leaving the killer passage till last (or not to do it at all). If timing isn't an issue and you are having a lot of trouble on a passage, just skip it and come back later. If you seriously have 5-10 min remaining, you can almost read the entire passage again and then go through the questions a 2nd time.

4. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    For me I usually couldn't tell if a passage was going to be the killer one until I got to all of the questions for that passage, so YMMV with this strategy.

If you have so much time remaining at the end, I agree that you could come back and re-read the killer passage to double check your answers.

5. bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

:eek:

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Murdering the kitties.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have the same problem, most of my wrong answers come from the same passage. It comes from having a faulty interpretation of the passage, or missing the main point entirely. I eventually got over this hurdle by figuring out when I'm completely off, i.e. questions being asked that you didn't expect, or all four answers being wrong, etc. I then save that passage for last and reread/reinterpret it.

And definitely don't skip it altogether! TPR sucks. Losing out on 10 points is the difference between a 10 :eek: and a 15 :D on VR!

7. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with those passages. the high-skilled/low-skilled one completely killed me. I got like 7 out of the 10 questions wrong.

but generally, I find that those that are easier to read have harder questions while those that are hard to read have easy questions.

8. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yup. and the toughest part is there is no consistency in my verbal scores whatsoever. I've been getting anywhere between 7 to 11 :confused: