Verbal Killer Passage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stiffany

Hurry up and wait...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. So on the last few practice tests I've taken (AAMC 8 and 7, TPR stuff), there's been one passage where I've missed 2/3 of my "wrong" answers. For instance, today, out of the 8 questions I missed, 5 of them came from a particular passage (10 questions). Does anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid such a "catastrophic" loss of points just from one text? I always end verbal with 5-15 minutes remaining so timing isn't really an issue.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

TPR has always recommended leaving the killer passage till last (or not to do it at all). If timing isn't an issue and you are having a lot of trouble on a passage, just skip it and come back later. If you seriously have 5-10 min remaining, you can almost read the entire passage again and then go through the questions a 2nd time.

BigRedPremed said:
TPR has always recommended leaving the killer passage till last (or not to do it at all). If timing isn't an issue and you are having a lot of trouble on a passage, just skip it and come back later. If you seriously have 5-10 min remaining, you can almost read the entire passage again and then go through the questions a 2nd time.
For me I usually couldn't tell if a passage was going to be the killer one until I got to all of the questions for that passage, so YMMV with this strategy.

If you have so much time remaining at the end, I agree that you could come back and re-read the killer passage to double check your answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same problem, most of my wrong answers come from the same passage. It comes from having a faulty interpretation of the passage, or missing the main point entirely. I eventually got over this hurdle by figuring out when I'm completely off, i.e. questions being asked that you didn't expect, or all four answers being wrong, etc. I then save that passage for last and reread/reinterpret it.

And definitely don't skip it altogether! TPR sucks. Losing out on 10 points is the difference between a 10 :eek: and a 15 :D on VR!

bruinboy310 said:
For AAMC 7, which passage do you guys think was the killer passage?
I thought one about some poet describing about nature, Schoenberg's atonality, and high-skilled and low-skillled workers were all tough... Oh well, I guess I just suck at verbal...

I agree with those passages. the high-skilled/low-skilled one completely killed me. I got like 7 out of the 10 questions wrong.

but generally, I find that those that are easier to read have harder questions while those that are hard to read have easy questions.

bruinboy310 said:
Hey, you have pretty much similar scores as me... I guess Freaking verbal is holding us back from scoring 35+. Hopefully, on the real deal, we get some easier passages...

yup. and the toughest part is there is no consistency in my verbal scores whatsoever. I've been getting anywhere between 7 to 11 :confused: