verbal reasoning Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiology4Me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having much trouble getting more than 3 passages answered. Once I see there the time is down to 30 sec. I'm usually just finishing the 3rd passage's questions and I barely scrape by guessing on the rest of the questions! I'm using the Kaplan test prep which involves mapping..On one hand I find that using the map does improve my the quality of my answers but on the other it is so time consuming. I am struggling to get past 3 passages! Yes, I do read and re-read. I highlight key words words and write down probably too much...
Any suggestions PLease? How closely should I be reading for detail, Are any of you barely reading the passage and getting right to the questions? Kaplan has helped a little but I think I have plateaued!

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=223930

you sound like you're trying every strategy together and wasting a ton of time. I would go over these threads and others on this board. It doesn't sound like these techniques are working for you......try a simpler approach....a much simpler approach. You should get good advice searching this forum and the thread above.

I am having much trouble getting more than 3 passages answered. Once I see there the time is down to 30 sec. I'm usually just finishing the 3rd passage's questions and I barely scrape by guessing on the rest of the questions! I'm using the Kaplan test prep which involves mapping..On one hand I find that using the map does improve my the quality of my answers but on the other it is so time consuming. I am struggling to get past 3 passages! Yes, I do read and re-read. I highlight key words words and write down probably too much...
Any suggestions PLease? How closely should I be reading for detail, Are any of you barely reading the passage and getting right to the questions? Kaplan has helped a little but I think I have plateaued!

I suggest that you read the EK strategy, they stress reading the whole passage uniterrupted with the goal of understanding the main idea(s). They discourage rereadings, mappings etc. This MOST important thing on the VR is to finish all the passages. I does you no good to ace 3 passages and not answer 4 more.

Good luck..

I think you are missing one of the most important points as stressed on the audio osmosis, which I found very encouraging.

I am a slow reader, but still can finish all the VR passages in time because you do not need to fully understand the passage. You should understand just enough about the passage to answer the questions and move on. They might as well be talking about two architects bickering over the value of an artifact. You are not supposed to pay attention and get involved with the archietects, but rather read like an arbiter between the two parties. Don't care about the details or the points they make, but rather care about the way each architect makes his or her point and read the passage like you are a case manager and just want to "get to the gist" of what the architects are saying, and get some clues about how the argument is formed etc...

I'm a slow reader and still read the VR slow. All I eliminated was the amount of time I used to waste, and now I'm comfortably paced and rarely run out of time.