Verbal Reasoning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denonlaker

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to prepare for verbal reasoning? Where can I get some additional verbal practice passages besides AAMC passages? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by denonlaker
What is the best way to prepare for verbal reasoning? Where can I get some additional verbal practice passages besides AAMC passages? Thanks

You may want to check the MCAT Discussion, those folks are usually up to date with the latest prep materials.

Examcrackers makes practice test books, as does Kaplan (try Amazon.com). You could also look on Ebay for Princeton/Kaplan course books. I've heard of people even going into LSAT books for additional passages at their local library if they run out of MCAT ones (although I don't think its humanly possible to work that many passages).:D

Something else you might want to consider is to read op-eds and commentaries in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, etc.

Basically, what I would do is read these each day and practiced to see if I could get the scope, gist, and main idea of the column. Then I would think about potential application and inference type questions for each that I might be asked.

I found it to be a great way to get me in the mindset needed for VR. Not to mention, it helped me to read faster and to skim over for the concepts over the details.

For what it's worth....

-Tomi

Members don't see this ad :)
I read a ton of boring stuff. alot of philosophy, not that all philosophy is boring, but alot of it tends to be long winded, so you really have to pay attention. and honestly, the practice tests help alot too because you can see kind of what you should be looking for while you're reading.

Examkrackers 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning is an excellent book that you might want to buy for lots of good MCAT style practice passages. I took the April MCAT and found these passages to be close to the real thing in terms of difficulty, etc. If you can find someone who took the Princeton Review course you could buy their Verbal Workbook from them for more practice passages. It is not available at the store... only though the class and it is a good one. Good luck :)

I used some LSAT practice passages when I ran out of MCAT material. They are actually a little harder than the MCAT passages, as far as I remember, and were good practice.

Moderator, please move this thread to MCAT...

muchas gracias :)

Sunflower79... You... You tattle tale. Why don't you relax. The poster is obviously trying to scour the globe for all possible vantage points. Why don't you go wear a wire, or snitch on some some classmates for drinking in their dorm room.
Neudge:mad:

listen to what other people have had to say (i'd definately add the economist as a great pracitice reading source)...

but the best way to get good at VR is to read a lot. like a ton. and that means reading what you like. people may disagree, but in my opinion, it doesn't matter if its sci-fi or tom clancy or even romance (no exp there, but i'll assume this idea holds), if you can get to the point where reading and doing all that fancy mcat mumbo jumbo is just natural for what you like to read, then it'll fall into place on the real exam with harder material (which you will have seen on the practice exams etc).

the best way to add points, however, to VR is by going over the practice exams (i used kaplans) and learn exactly what differences there are between the way you think (ie, the way you respond to such questions as what was the author's point etc) and the way the test makers think. i found i exaggerated an author's position sometimes becuase i'm used to seminar discussions where that can be useful. once i went through 5 exams and made up a two page cheat sheet of dos/donts for VR, i did very well.

My first time taking the MCAT VR section I didn't even finish the last 3-4 passages. This resulted in a paltry score of 5. While studying for the Aug. MCAT (last year) I used a digital timer to help me pace myself through the passages. Simply divide the time alotted for the VR section by the # of questions. This method helped me to quicken my pace or relax a bit.