verbal section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Louisiana Girl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that the verbal section in the cliffs book is too hard but the barron's book is too easy. Which book is the most accurate? Is the kaplan book better than both for the verbal section?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that the verbal section in the cliffs book is too hard but the barron's book is too easy. Which book is the most accurate? Is the kaplan book better than both for the verbal section?

I don't know, since I haven't taken the PCAT yet. From what I've read and heard, I believe that Kaplan is pretty well put together. Do what I'm doing, study a little bit from each book (just study both books). :)

you're right. the barrons book is way too easy! kaplan is better.

I took the PCAT in June and did okay on the Verbal Section(82%). Just use all the books you mentioned. Also , another useful resource that I had used for the verbal was the
www.m-w.com, join the word of the day mailing list. : )

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to agree with everyone else that the Cliff's books were a bit overkill on the verbal section. I believe that the difficulty of the vocabulary on the PCAT is very similar to the SAT - all the words are words you probably have encountered at some point throughout high school and college. The key is being able to make word associations quickly and recognizing traps.

For example, if they give you blacksmith and anvil, the main difficulty in the question would be finding the common link between the two items - the blacksmith uses an anvil in his work. The words themselves are not particularly difficult.

Most likely, there will be words you will not know on the actual PCAT, and in those instances, you should try your best to determine a relationship between the words. However, don't overlook the seemingly 'easy' questions, with simple words - you need to get as many questions right as possible. Hope this helps!

hey, I have taken pcat on June. right before I realized that MAT (miller analogy test and pcat) are given by the same company! so I learned all the words in the list (I am from Russia, I have to do it) and lots of them were on the test! on the other side none of the 500 hardest GRE words were there!

hey, I have taken pcat on June. right before I realized that MAT (miller analogy test and pcat) are given by the same company! so I learned all the words in the list (I am from Russia, I have to do it) and lots of them were on the test! on the other side none of the 500 hardest GRE words were there!

What list of words did you use? I searched online and could really only find review books but not a list.

This is definitely a good tip for those who struggle with analogies. The candidate info booklet for the MAT on the Harcourt website has a nice explanation on how to solve analogies. Thanx for the tip on this!

I bought a book from amazon it cost me about $15.00. u really do not have to do this. all you need is to go at local book store, get couple MAT books and read the list of words. since you american, you won't need to make flash cards (lucky you)! anyway... I learned tons of words for June pcat and still was surprised when I saw verbal part BUT about 10 problems contained the words I learned from that book:)))) needless to say I was very happy:)))