Very distraught and worried about internships

Started by Peanut03
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Peanut03

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I'm currently a third year. I was doing really well in school the last 2.5 years and as of now I have over a 3.9 GPA. Throughout vet school, I've been really struggling with mental health. I don't want to get into it too much because it's personal but over the last month it has been extraordinarily bad. Like the worst it has EVER been. I've had to go to multiple hours of therapy each week on top of school and it has affected every aspect of my life.

We had a test yesterday in school and I am very sure I flunked it or got like a 75% AT BEST. I didn't do amazing on the first test we had either, and since we only have 3 exams in the class weighted equally, I very well may end up with a low B or a C in the class...hopefully not worse. I have one B+ on my transcript, but I was really hoping to eventually do an internship and and a residency after vet school. I feel like my chances are shot as of yesterday because of this test. I don't know if I'm being too hard on myself or it should really consider other avenues. If I do well in other classes this semester, would a C prevent me from getting an internship/residency? I've been so worried and upset about this.

Thanks
 
Hey everyone,

I'm currently a third year. I was doing really well in school the last 2.5 years and as of now I have over a 3.9 GPA. Throughout vet school, I've been really struggling with mental health. I don't want to get into it too much because it's personal but over the last month it has been extraordinarily bad. Like the worst it has EVER been. I've had to go to multiple hours of therapy each week on top of school and it has affected every aspect of my life.

We had a test yesterday in school and I am very sure I flunked it or got like a 75% AT BEST. I didn't do amazing on the first test we had either, and since we only have 3 exams in the class weighted equally, I very well may end up with a low B or a C in the class...hopefully not worse. I have one B+ on my transcript, but I was really hoping to eventually do an internship and and a residency after vet school. I feel like my chances are shot as of yesterday because of this test. I don't know if I'm being too hard on myself or it should really consider other avenues. If I do well in other classes this semester, would a C prevent me from getting an internship/residency? I've been so worried and upset about this.

Thanks
You should definitely take a breath here. Grades are not everything, and certainly not when you have demonstrated an excellent aptitude for scholarly activities thus far. The people you connect with and your extracurricular activities reflecting your area of interest are also very heavily weighted. What concerns me more is that you are letting this spiral from the sounds of it. You have done a great job and need to make sure you keep your mental health the number one priority here. Many people on here can attest that a 4.0 is not what has to be achieved for specialty positions. I imagine they will be on here soon to reassure you there, but you can use the search bar to see all the great success stories from those who have come before you.

Find a way to release this buildup of stress. You are still so early in your career, so don't burn yourself out here. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a D once and had to remediate a class, and I just matched to my first choice academic internship. I struggled to get/keep my GPA to 3.5.