Very General Question About Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KUMC_MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you get a secondary from a DO school, does that mean that:

A) they just want your money

B) your grades and mcat are good enough for entrance and want to evaluate you further

C) a combo????

any idea???????

THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

i think with the schools that send them to everyone (or almost everyone), it's a combination of both. they get some extra money, and you get a shot to tell them more stuff than what you put on AACOMAS.

its for the most part a good idea, but it sucks that you have to fill out so many different essays and stuff for some schools that mgiht not even look at it.

I think that most schools send you a secondary if you meet their minimum GPA/MCAT requirements (there's always the exceptions WVSOM, NYIT,etc) The money also helps them too I'm sure. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by KUMC_MD
if you get a secondary from a DO school, does that mean that:

A) they just want your money

B) your grades and mcat are good enough for entrance and want to evaluate you further

C) a combo????

any idea???????

THANKS!!

A-No
B-Yes

I imagine this was an innocent question by the original poster....but in general, why is everyone so cynical about the motives (i.e. money vs. finding out more about you) behind schools sending out secondaries? If you think that you've got no chance and that the school only wants your money, then don't send in the secondary and your money. To go even further, why did you apply there in the first place if your reaction to a secondary is paranoia about their motives?? Be HAPPY when you get past a checkpoint in the application process!!

I know for sure that Touro scans through all of the primary applications before sending you a secondary (meaning you've met the minimum gpa/mcat score or they think you have a chance). Most of the other schools send everyone a secondary without reviewing. Personally, I was just happy to get secondaries. Not happy to shell out hundreds of dollars, but that's part of the process...

so to get a secondary from uhs and kcom, they probablly didnt even look at my app, they just said send it??

i am kinda worried because i have a 3.25 and a 21N

but that is in an engineering field, and i have never had organic chemistry... on a side note, i have been out of school for about 2 yrs, and worked in pharmacy dept and as electrical engineer... and had LOTS of ec's while in school...

so i dont know if i am just getting secondaries cuz the schools want money, or if it is because they think i have a chance....

this is what has spawned my questions... not trolling....

An extreme case of schools that just want your money are some of the public medical schools. There are public state schools that will accept secondaries from out-of-state applicants, yet will not accept any out-of-state applicants. These are schools that just want your money. Granted, this mostly applies to MD schools...but it can apply to DO schools also.

IMHO, I think the schools that send you secondaries that are longer are generally the schools that will take a longer look at your application and are more concerned about whom you are rather than at straight numbers. There are always exceptions.

Even if you believed they just wanted your money I would still send it in - any chance is better than no chance. I would just make sure you "shine" in your secondary.