Very Interested in Getting into Endo, don't know where to start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nobeldds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have realized that I truly want to become an Endodontist. I want to do whatever I can to develop a solid application. I graduated from a US dental school in 2016 and have been working as an associate dentist ever since. My GPA was 3.1 and ranked 47/95. I have not written the ADAT. What do you think my current chances are?

What would you suggest in order to develop a solid application? I understand that LORs are quite important, but as a practicing dentist where am I going to get LORs aside from my regular old dental school attendings? I am considering working as a part-time faculty at my dental school one day a week, do you think this would help at all? (i would get paid next to nothing)

How important do you think the ADAT is, I've heard such mixed reviews and a lot of programs don't seem to give it any importance?

Do you think completing some good endo CE courses would be of any value?

I have reached out to several programs who have told me that they value research, but I don't know where to start with finding research opportunities.

So far the advice i have been given are:
- join the AAE
- get research experience in endo
- get a few years of work experience, or should have done a GPR/AEGD
- get a LOR from a famous endodontist!

anybody have something to add?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have realized that I truly want to become an Endodontist. I want to do whatever I can to develop a solid application. I am a Canadian citizen, but I graduated from a US dental school in 2017 and have been working as an associate dentist ever since. My GPA was 3.22 and ranked 48/85. I have not yet written the ADAT. What do you think my current chances are?

What would you suggest in order to develop a solid application? I understand that LORs are quite important, but as a practicing dentist where am I going to get LORs aside from my regular old dental school attendings? I am considering working as a part-time faculty at my dental school one day a week, do you think this would help at all? (i would get paid next to nothing)

How important do you think the ADAT is, I've heard such mixed reviews and a lot of programs don't seem to give it any importance?

Do you think completing some good endo CE courses would be of any value?

I have reached out to several programs who have told me that they value research, but I don't know where to start with finding research opportunities.

So far the advice i have been given are:
- join the AAE
- get research experience in endo
- get a few years of work experience, or should have done a GPR/AEGD
- get a LOR from a famous endodontist!

anybody have something to add?

Thanks!

You need something to set you apart because right now you don't have it. The obvious things are LOR's and ADAT. Sure, do some CE and AAE etc; that's just expected. But it won't get your application into the interview pile. Realistically you can't do research.

I would position yourself in a job/GPR/internship where you can foster some relationships to get high quality LOR's from academic types. A letter from the right person will get you an interview. Take that ADAT. In a couple years you could have a solid application in spite of your GPA. There is no quick fix. Apply to the expensive private programs. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
You need something to set you apart because right now you don't have it. The obvious things are LOR's and ADAT. Sure, do some CE and AAE etc; that's just expected. But it won't get your application into the interview pile. Realistically you can't do research.

I would position yourself in a job/GPR/internship where you can foster some relationships to get high-quality LOR's from academic types. A letter from the right person will get you an interview. Take that ADAT. In a couple years you could have a solid application in spite of your GPA. There is no quick fix. Apply to the expensive private programs. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I sort of denied my interest throughout dental school, now I'm regretting that I didn't prepare what I needed to get into an endo program.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would position yourself in a job/GPR/internship where you can foster some relationships to get high quality LOR's from academic types. A letter from the right person will get you an interview. Take that ADAT. In a couple years you could have a solid application in spite of your GPA. There is no quick fix. Apply to the expensive private programs. Good luck.

I managed to get a 640 on the ADAT, which is a 95th percentile score based on previous years. Hopefully this will help my application.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Thank you for talking about this topic. I just finished my second trimester in dental school. I haven’t had any endo course yet but I shadowed an endodontist before getting into dental school and I love it. I was wondering what is the best way to prepare for it? I just got into ASDA cabinet, I heard that it matters. Any advice is apprecaited. Should I aim for GPR? Should I do any research?