Very Interesting Step 1 outcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enlighten me.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I got my Step 1 results in the mail today and I was a bit surprised. I scored a 231/94, but was expecting something in the 240s or higher. Here's some background information on my preparation:

I studied for 26 days after 2nd yr ended, for about 12 hrs a day.

The main sources I used were Step Up to the Bedside, the 4 NBME practice tests, Goljan audio, and some QBank. Used FA and HY books to supplement and lots of Wikipedia.

I spent most of the last 9 days going through the 4 NBME practice tests. I first worked through NBME Forms 3 and 4 sent to me from a friend, looking up answers as needed. I then bought NBME Forms 1 and 2 and scored 800 (>265) on both of them, though these were done in tutor mode and completely open book. I did the 150 free questions in pieces early on, but don't know my percentage.

Completed only 20% of QBank, random blocks, with a 71% average.

Listened to 2 Goljan lectures each night, spending 2 hours per lecture and taking copious notes. Goljan helped me understand the material tremendously.

I'd say I'm a good test taker overall. Back in high school, I scored a perfect 1600 on the SAT. I had a 37T on the MCAT (11V, 14P, 12B, T writing). I go to a top 10 med school and my grades in 2nd yr are mostly Honors with some High-passes which would probably put me in the top third of the class.

Coming out of the exam, I felt like I had prepared well and was hoping to get over 250 if things went right. But as you can tell, the score is about 20 pts shy of what I was expecting.

Anyway, I'm disappointed on how Step 1 turned out. Just wondering what you all think or if anyone's experienced something similar..

Take care,
EM

Members don't see this ad.

enlighten me. said:
Hey guys-

I got my Step 1 results in the mail today and I was a bit surprised. I scored a 231/94, but was expecting something in the 240s or higher. Here's some background information on my preparation:

I studied for 26 days after 2nd yr ended, for about 12 hrs a day.

The main sources I used were Step Up to the Bedside, the 4 NBME practice tests, Goljan audio, and some QBank. Used FA and HY books to supplement and lots of Wikipedia.

I spent most of the last 9 days going through the 4 NBME practice tests. I first worked through NBME Forms 3 and 4 sent to me from a friend, looking up answers as needed. I then bought NBME Forms 1 and 2 and scored 800 (>265) on both of them, though these were done in tutor mode and completely open book. I did the 150 free questions in pieces early on, but don't know my percentage.

Completed only 20% of QBank, random blocks, with a 71% average.

Listened to 2 Goljan lectures each night, spending 2 hours per lecture and taking copious notes. Goljan helped me understand the material tremendously.

I'd say I'm a good test taker overall. Back in high school, I scored a perfect 1600 on the SAT. I had a 37T on the MCAT (11V, 14P, 12B, T writing). I go to a top 10 med school and my grades in 2nd yr are mostly Honors with some High-passes which would probably put me in the top third of the class.

Coming out of the exam, I felt like I had prepared well and was hoping to get over 250 if things went right. But as you can tell, the score is about 20 pts shy of what I was expecting.

Anyway, I'm disappointed on how Step 1 turned out. Just wondering what you all think or if anyone's experienced something similar..

Take care,
EM

Sorry to hear you didn't do as well as you hoped or expected - although your score isn't one to scoff at. Did you feel very nervous during the test? Did you find yourself second-guessing many answers, or finishing very quickly to get it over with?

(nicedream) said:
Sorry to hear you didn't do as well as you hoped or expected - although your score isn't one to scoff at. Did you feel very nervous during the test? Did you find yourself second-guessing many answers, or finishing very quickly to get it over with?

That's a great question. But no, I felt pretty confident throughout the test. I did spend almost the whole 8 hours, taking a 5-10 min break between each section. What I remember in particular is marking a lot of questions i wasn't 100% sure on.

Members don't see this ad :)
with no disrespect whatsoever...did you maybe find taking the NBME test with open book and tutor mode as a crutch that elevated your confidence? i've done that before...so maybe it happened to you?

and regardless, your score is solid...and probably will NOT hold you out of any specialties...congrats and GREAT job!!!