Very little college EC's.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdenineThomasPhosphate

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I am set on getting into an MD program in the US. However, I believe my college EC's were sub-par.

I went to a community college for years, and didn't really apply myself. I applied myself at my university after a mediocre semester and showed strong upward grade trends. My GPA upon graduating from my university was a 3.86, but cumulatively, including my community college GPA, it is about a 3.7. I'm taking the MCAT next Friday, and my AAMC Practice FL's are around 512.

What I'm worried about is my EC's and leadership. In the community college I was a member of the aviation club for 2 years. I also did cross country for one season, then started and captained an outdoor track team for a season, but we lost funding and didn't exist next year. I participated in the swimming club at my university for my last semester. However I worked as a per diem PCA for the last 2/3 years I was at the University. I did no research. I know I should have shown commitment and been more dedicated to EC's in college, but I wasn't, so there's nothing I can do now.

I think starting/being captain to a track team shows leadership, but it was only one semester. I have trained people in my PCA job, and in my old job I acted as a manager when my bosses were out of town as well as trained new employees.

I now volunteer in an addiction helpline, as a volunteer fire fighter, and cleaning up parks around me. I started these activities these past summer, but already have like 100 hours on the helpline. I still work as a PCA too. I've been a PCA for about 3 years, with 2,000+ hours.

I guess I'm really just looking for opinions on whether or not having weak college EC's can be supplemented by my gap year activities. I'm pretty worried I'm not well rounded in that regard, and am really hoping for an MD acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll be fine as long as you do some shadowing (if you haven't done some already). Aim for at least 50 hours though since you're doing a gap year you can probably get more. Assuming your MCAT hits near your practice exam scores I think you'll be fine for plenty of MD schools.

I think you'll be fine as long as you do some shadowing (if you haven't done some already). Aim for at least 50 hours though since you're doing a gap year you can probably get more. Assuming your MCAT hits near your practice exam scores I think you'll be fine for plenty of MD schools.
Agree 100%

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree 100%

Thank you both for your responses, they have alleviated a lot of anxiety. I have a little shadowing as of now (12 hours), but my plan is to do a lot of it as soon as the MCAT is over, as well as continue working and volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both for your responses, they have alleviated a lot of anxiety. I have a little shadowing as of now (12 hours), but my plan is to do a lot of it as soon as the MCAT is over, as well as continue working and volunteering.

Nice, good luck on the MCAT!

Reactions: 1 user