Very low-income, med apps already submitted, now interested in pharm, extremely scared...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truestrength

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm an undergraduate senior at one of the big three Ivy League schools and have already submitted my medical school applications to 25 places but am now very fearful of what's to happen next in the future because of (1) my recently developed interest in pharmacy and (2) realization that I may not get into medical school with my one MCAT score of 25 (at this institution, I'm a humanities major with a relatively high cumulative GPA/average science GPA and have worked well as an EMT for the past two and a half years both at school and back at home; I even discussed this poetically and passionately in my personal statement). The reason why I did not attempt the MCAT again is because I work at least 12 hours a week, while in school, to send money home and support my family.

I've been rejected from 10 schools so far (including a few UC medical schools; I'm applying as an in-state Californian) and am feeling extremely defeated. I've always had this mild interest in pharmacy and it has now spawned into something serious now that I'm loving my biochemistry class and clinical research on the use of NSAIDs. If I don't get into medical school, it's likely that I'm going to get TFA (based on my current exchange with admissions) and work as a teacher for two years in the area I'm from.

As a very, very low-income ethnic minority student from a bankrupt town, I have two options should I not be accepted this cycle: (1) purchase new MCAT study materials, work extremely hard, and absolutely smash the new MCAT to get a competitive score and then reapply to medical school or (2) save up the money from my TFA job so that I can take the handful of pre-pharm course requirements at a local community college since I just now realized these extras, purchase PCAT study materials and seriously do well on the exam, and then apply to pharmacy school in California + UMichigan.

Being cerebral as I am, I've calculated the cost of reapplying to medical school to be just the cost of the new MCAT books and the registration (say, $400). FAP applicants apply to 15 schools for free, so I'll just do 15 that round. Applying to pharmacy school, however, (with PCAT, applications, and community college courses) would total to be about $2,500 (though, I've been doing tons of research and recently visited a biotech company and can really see myself being happy in pharmacy).

I have two questions for the kind readers on this forum: (1) what would you do in my situation if you really, truly realized a new passion in pharmacy and cannot envision yourself (as strongly as you used to) be a doctor even though you're too deep in the med school admissions process, (2) how does financial aid work for pharmacy school, and (3) what kind of expenses should I expect if I'm a very low-income student looking to apply to be a pharmacist if the pharmacy application process, and I could be wrong, is not as financially generous as the medical school application process that has the FAP resource (do pharmacy schools waive secondaries at all)?

I'm very anxious right now especially considering how my parents are growing progressively sicker, not to mention poorer. I know I'm so blessed to be graduating soon from this reputable institution, but my fear is very real because I will return to a life of financial hardship after leaving this place of privilege.

Peace, blessings, and thanks so much in advance for any advice at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Go to med school. You can do that kind of research if you're a MD/PhD. Plus, you get free tuition (well you're from California so tuition isn't a problem for med school to begin with. However, same can not be said for Pharm school).

2. I am a current applicant so I am not that familiar with financial aid.

3. Some schools do waive secondaries, but it will cost 150 + 55 for primaries.

This is just my opinion. Sorry that I couldn't offer much advice. Good luck on the rest of your applications and future endeavors though.

Hello,

I'm an undergraduate senior at one of the big three Ivy League schools and have already submitted my medical school applications to 25 places but am now very fearful of what's to happen next in the future because of (1) my recently developed interest in pharmacy and (2) realization that I may not get into medical school with my one MCAT score of 25 (at this institution, I'm a humanities major with a relatively high cumulative GPA/average science GPA and have worked well as an EMT for the past two and a half years both at school and back at home; I even discussed this poetically and passionately in my personal statement). The reason why I did not attempt the MCAT again is because I work at least 12 hours a week, while in school, to send money home and support my family.

I've been rejected from 10 schools so far (including a few UC medical schools; I'm applying as an in-state Californian) and am feeling extremely defeated. I've always had this mild interest in pharmacy and it has now spawned into something serious now that I'm loving my biochemistry class and clinical research on the use of NSAIDs. If I don't get into medical school, it's likely that I'm going to get TFA (based on my current exchange with admissions) and work as a teacher for two years in the area I'm from.

As a very, very low-income ethnic minority student from a bankrupt town, I have two options should I not be accepted this cycle: (1) purchase new MCAT study materials, work extremely hard, and absolutely smash the new MCAT to get a competitive score and then reapply to medical school or (2) save up the money from my TFA job so that I can take the handful of pre-pharm course requirements at a local community college since I just now realized these extras, purchase PCAT study materials and seriously do well on the exam, and then apply to pharmacy school in California + UMichigan.

Being cerebral as I am, I've calculated the cost of reapplying to medical school to be just the cost of the new MCAT books and the registration (say, $400). FAP applicants apply to 15 schools for free, so I'll just do 15 that round. Applying to pharmacy school, however, (with PCAT, applications, and community college courses) would total to be about $2,500 (though, I've been doing tons of research and recently visited a biotech company and can really see myself being happy in pharmacy).

I have two questions for the kind readers on this forum: (1) what would you do in my situation if you really, truly realized a new passion in pharmacy and cannot envision yourself (as strongly as you used to) be a doctor even though you're too deep in the med school admissions process, (2) how does financial aid work for pharmacy school, and (3) what kind of expenses should I expect if I'm a very low-income student looking to apply to be a pharmacist if the pharmacy application process, and I could be wrong, not as financially generous as the medical school application process that has the FAP resource (do pharmacy schools waive secondaries at all)?

I'm very anxious right now especially considering how my parents are growing progressively sicker, not to mention poorer. I know I'm so blessed to be graduating soon from this reputable institution, but my fear is very real because I will return to a life of financial hardship after leaving this place of privilege.

A 25 MCAT = 80%ile (AT LEAST) PCAT = admissions to good schools across the state, which leads to my next point:

Don't spend extra time/money investment for the PCAT. Focus on the MCAT, which is a MUCH tougher exam. I don't think California requires a PCAT on PharmCAS, but I COULD be wrong.

And finally, if you really LOVE pharmacy, get connected to a Wags/CVS through technician work before you matriculate into pharmacy school, should you decide to make the switch. But BEFORE you plunge into pharmacy school, I recommend doing your research. And as usual, post any questions over here or on the Pharmacy forum - a lot of those users are helpful! Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I have two questions for the kind readers on this forum: (1) what would you do in my situation if you really, truly realized a new passion in pharmacy and cannot envision yourself (as strongly as you used to) be a doctor even though you're too deep in the med school admissions process, (2) how does financial aid work for pharmacy school, and (3) what kind of expenses should I expect if I'm a very low-income student looking to apply to be a pharmacist if the pharmacy application process, and I could be wrong, not as financially generous as the medical school application process that has the FAP resource (do pharmacy schools waive secondaries at all)?

Big 3? Now I'm curious which one of the big four you're slapping in the face...

Reactions: 1 user
Your URM status will probably get you in. If you're African American, and have a 25 MCAT and a 3.8+ GPA, you have an 86.9% chance of being accepted to an MD school. But your chances are likely higher, as you have a degree from an Ivy. If you apply broadly, I'd put your odds at damn near 100% so long as your PS is solid. Obviously, the numbers are a bit different if you're Native American or Hispanic, but the gist is, you will get into medical school if you apply broadly.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2013factstable25-2.pdf

Thanks so much for all the advice so far, guys! A concern that I didn't bring up that I think is relevant to Mad Jack's advice is that I'm an ethnic minority within the Asian/Asian-American majority: that is to say, I'm Vietnamese. Do you know how schools consider Vietnamese (or more largely, Asian/Asian-American applicants) who come from low-income backgrounds? Are we still considered URMs?

just apply to few pharmacy schools. their standards arent even that high anymore. the fact that you come from an ivy league should be more than enough.
i dont get what prepharm classes you would need additonally though. medical and pharmacy pre classes generally overlap.
i suggest yout keep aiming for medical though.

Stay with medical school. Yeah being rejected to 10 schools sucks, but you still got 15 more to go and it only takes 1 acceptance and you're off to MD land.

Thanks so much for all the advice so far, guys! A concern that I didn't bring up that I think is relevant to Mad Jack's advice is that I'm an ethnic minority within the Asian/Asian-American majority: that is to say, I'm Vietnamese. Do you know how schools consider Vietnamese (or more largely, Asian/Asian-American applicants) who come from low-income backgrounds? Are we still considered URMs?

vietnamese is a minority but a over represented minority aka not a minority at all. a MCAT of 25 is no chance for MD and very low chance for DO schools. any research paper published? if not, kiss both good byes.

BUT DONT TURN TO PHARMACY after med school disappointment.

So you got rejected from medical school and now instantly love pharmacy?

Don't worry... the color of your skin and poor financial situation will get you in somewhere.

So you got rejected from medical school and now instantly love pharmacy?

Don't worry... the color of your skin and poor financial situation will get you in somewhere.

The color of the skin won't help much in this case. The OP will most definitely get in somewhere because pharmacy schools will take anyone with a pulse.

vietnamese is a minority but a over represented minority aka not a minority at all. a MCAT of 25 is no chance for MD and very low chance for DO schools. any research paper published? if not, kiss both good byes.

BUT DONT TURN TO PHARMACY after med school disappointment.

Yep, Asians including Vietnamese = ORM ... meaning it's definitely a good idea to have higher than average grades and exam scores to compensate! The one exception is pharmacy school, where the student's willingness to hand over some dosh to the school is equally or even more important than statistics.

afaik, the OP is working hard & improving his stats for a while; I think he'll get into med school somewhere.