Vet acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pupperson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten into veterinary school with only 2 or 3 years of pre-veterinary courses? I have heard from some that it is necessary to have a bachelors before they will even look at your application. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

most schools do not require you to have a bachelors, but highly suggest you complete it. I have known people who completed their bachelors in 3 years and got accepted. I have also known people to get accepted without having completely their bachelors, they just completed the pre-vet pre-reqs. It is generally harder to get in without the bachelors because you have to get most of the hard pre-reqs done ina short period of time, and it seems (may not be true) that ad coms will accept those with bachelors before those without.

It can be done, i've seen it done, if you want to get through undergrad and into vet school quick, go ahead and try. if anything, they say no, and you still have the opportunity of not being set off track and you were technically applying early.

I am one of those that got in after 3 years. I did it because I had all of the classes that I needed and figured that if I did not get in, then I would not waste any time as I would just get my bachelors the following year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here at Georgia it is not uncommon for people to come in without their bachelors. If they do undergrad at UGA, they can have the first year of vet school count as the last year of undergrad and they get a bachelors.

One person I know also was able to receive the HOPE scholarship for the first year of vet school because it was the last year of the bachelors degree.

I think it's a great idea, but you have to know that you are ready for vet school. If you have strong grades and some experience, give it a try.

Here at Georgia it is not uncommon for people to come in without their bachelors. If they do undergrad at UGA, they can have the first year of vet school count as the last year of undergrad and they get a bachelors.

One person I know also was able to receive the HOPE scholarship for the first year of vet school because it was the last year of the bachelors degree.

I think it's a great idea, but you have to know that you are ready for vet school. If you have strong grades and some experience, give it a try.
I actually just did that this year. I just got accepted into UGA, while i have 3 years of undergrad. And yes, its exactly like projekt said above- ill have my first year of vet school count dually as my last year of undergrad, and get my bachelors next may.
Thats awesome though about the hope! I was wondering about that, and was planning about calling up someone to ask about that to see if it was possible, but just havent been able to get around to it. Now I gotta get on that...Thanks!

I actually just did that this year. I just got accepted into UGA, while i have 3 years of undergrad. And yes, its exactly like projekt said above- ill have my first year of vet school count dually as my last year of undergrad, and get my bachelors next may.
Thats awesome though about the hope! I was wondering about that, and was planning about calling up someone to ask about that to see if it was possible, but just havent been able to get around to it. Now I gotta get on that...Thanks!

Yep, me too! I got accepted to OSUCVM as a junior in undergrad. My credits will transfer back and I will graduate with my bachelors and walk at graduation next May. It is a pain to take all the pre-vet reqs in three years, but it paid off big time. Save a year of time and money. Can't beat that!

Hi pupperson, I think I am in the same position as you, I am interested in applying to vet school after three years, and like many have previously mentioned it is definitely worth it, especially if your state school has a specific program. At Cornell (NY) they have an early admission program where you apply in your sophomore year, receive acceptance at the end of that year (hopefully) and then you finish the rest of your requirements in your junior year. You should check with an adviser at your state school, anyway sorry about the life story, good luck. :D

When you go to financial aid and what not, they may say "no" initially, so be persistent.

I am one of those that got in after 3 years. I did it because I had all of the classes that I needed and figured that if I did not get in, then I would not waste any time as I would just get my bachelors the following year.

same here

When you go to financial aid and what not, they may say "no" initially, so be persistent.

I'm in the same boat. I won't get my BSA until December, so it would be great to get HOPE to cover my first semester. Do you know if I should contact UGA's financial aid office or is there someone in the vet school that I should talk to?

Please do not think for a moment that you need or will even be preferred for completing your bachelors. You need to complete your pre-reqs before starting the FIRST YEAR of Vet School.

I have no idea how these myths get started! If it was required or even recommended that you complete your bachelors, it would be stated on the application!

Please do not think for a moment that you need or will even be preferred for completing your bachelors. You need to complete your pre-reqs before starting the FIRST YEAR of Vet School.

I have no idea how these myths get started! If it was required or even recommended that you complete your bachelors, it would be stated on the application!

Yeah, what InfiniVet said. I got so tired of people not in the veterinary industry telling me that I was wrong about not needing a bachelors to apply to vet school, including my dentist. He actually argued with me about it, like I hadn't looked into it and knew what I needed to do.

Here's my story to hopefully encourage others: I don't have a bachelors and took at least 85% of my pre-reqs at a community college (so not even on my way to a bachelors). This was my first time applying, and I got accepted into three schools and waitlisted at one. So I'm proof that you don't need a bachelors and that you won't be placed behind those who do.

Here's my story to hopefully encourage others: I don't have a bachelors and took at least 85% of my pre-reqs at a community college (so not even on my way to a bachelors). This was my first time applying, and I got accepted into three schools and waitlisted at one. So I'm proof that you don't need a bachelors and that you won't be placed behind those who do.

That is EXACTLY my story too!! :thumbup:

I just got accepted after completing 2 years of college. However I have 100+ credit hours due to AP/IB credits and taking courses over the summer. It is possible! However there is very little time to recover from any bad grade and you're very busy trying to get experience, work, and do well in school. But even if you dont get in it will be great practice and you always have the fall back of completing your bachelor's!