Vet blogs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groominator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of vet-related blogs do you guys follow? I know there's one in particular that i see mentioned a lot, that i should probably bookmark. But I'm wondering what else is out there.

I particularly enjoy http://vetontheedge.blogspot.com/ - Vet on the Edge, by a vet who lives in Alaska. Its not particularly educational or anything but she's often full of interesting stories and a pretty great writer.

Members don't see this ad.

Love VetOnTheEdge. Haven't read a single story of hers that hasn't made me laugh out loud.

I read Dolittler and a few others as well. Bump this in a couple of days and I'll post all the ones I've come across so far (about 10 or so, only read a couple though).

I like Dolittler too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a fan of Dolittler ever since someone on the forum mentioned it in some other thread.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I read for the anecdotes and entertainment more than education. I use Bloglines to keep track of new posts. I read some human medblogs, too -- the ER docs in particular have some hilarious stories. Here are the vet blogs I follow that have not been mentioned:

http://veterinarynursing.blogspot.com/
http://www.nearlydrferox.blogging4life.com/
http://cantspelldvm.blogspot.com/

P.S. I highly recommend the zap colors bookmarklet for blogs with frustrating background/typeface combinations. See here:
https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html

I also really like My Vet School Days (and she has a great list of blogs on her right sidebar), as well as:
Old(er) in Vet School -- olderinvetschool.blogspot.com
All But One Species -- allbutonespecies.blogspot.com

All But One also has a blog list, but it has a lot of old blogs that never get updated so it's hard to sift through and find the current ones. My Vet School Days has all currently updated blogs except for one on her list.

Love Vet On The Edge!
Very Herriott-esque, but somehow better. She needs to write a book. :thumbup:

I thought I'd revive this thread to share a veterinary blog that I am fond of. Animal Madness is written by an unprepossessing English vet and is full of brief but not insignificant observations about being an animal doctor.

This isn't 100% a veterinary blog, but I like ajkdvm.com. When she's not talking about veterinary things, she's sharing pictures of delicious food or interesting places that she visited... all A+ in my book.

:love:My inner internet junkie just added all of these to google reader. :laugh:

i'm so glad someone asked about vet blogs!! i've added these to my blog links as well. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
And because he is a really cool guy who gave me my orientation tour of the school during interviews. Plus he is even older than I am! :D

I enjoyed reading Pet Peeves, but it hasn't been updated in a looooooong time. Still worth a look

These are great! I never read any blogs before, but I started with the girl from Iowa and it's been awesome since I'll be there in less than a month. I'm addicted. And it's making me nervous. And beyond excited. :D

A lot of those (in the vet students section, at least) are just terrible. Especially the one where the girl didn't get into U of F so she gave up and had babies instead (or whatever).

However, I found this on one of them and lol'd:

John: "There are brooks, creeks, rivers and pituitaries."
Me: "You mean tributaries, I hope?"
John: "Yeah. That. What does the pituitary do, anyway?"
Me: "Lots of gland stuff."
John: "I'm going to design a beam to erradicate all pituitaries. What would happen to people?"
Me: "They would die."
John: "Would they *grab stomach and groan* or *grab neck and make gagging noise*?"
Me: "They would die."
John: "What specifically does the pituitary do?"
Me: "Lots of stuff. It's kind of a...manager of other glands. If the pituitary goes, other glands go on strike."
John: "The pancreas is doing all the work- the pituitary is taking all of the credit."
Me: "The pancreas and the pituitary don't really talk to each other. The pancreas just kinda makes it amylase and lipase and insulin and does its pancreas thing."
John: "Now that they've broken up, the pancreas calls the pituitary and says: 'You don't own me. I'm my own organ.' "
Me: "The pancreas is kind of an independent contractor that has been permanently hired by the intestines to do digestive stuff. It doesn't really talk to the pituitary."
John: "An independent contractor that's permanently hired? That doesn't make any sense. I call shenanigans."

I used to blog. I'd like to blog. I have a domain. Nothing is stopping me but my own... laziness, I suppose. Hm.

most of them are terrible, really. there was one of a girl who went to Edinburgh with her husband (who had nothing to do over there), got pregnant her first year and then wrote about her baby for the next two years.....ugh......

i really like Can't Spell, DVM, Life in Vet School and My Vet School Days. They at least upate their blogs on a semi-regular basis. Dr. Dolittler is also fantastic and she updates ALL the time. Oh yeah, Vet on the Edge is great - about a vet in Alaska.

TT - puhleeeze do a blog...it's so fun to follow great blogs, especially if they a sense of humor as you do.

I enjoyed reading Pet Peeves, but it hasn't been updated in a looooooong time. Still worth a look

I worked there! I will email to let them know that people are still looking for updates!

Can't wait to read the other blogs, too.

Any new blogs out there about pre-vets or vet students. Just curious, since some of these are outdated/never updated. Just curious in finding some new ones :)

Only new happenings in the vet blog community, that I'm aware of, is Dolittler changing her host.

I started my own blog back in February. I don't post every day, and I started out a bit too serious for myself, I think. I talk to myself about issues in vet med, and I try to include experiences that I have as well. I actually think its very helpful to keep a blog, since I do like to be able to look back and see what I was thinking, how I viewed a certain topic, etc. I'm on the veterinary blog list, and I promise I'm not that girl who got rejected from UF and decided to have babies, or whatever ;)

I don't really follow any blogs, but I will check out the ones people posted here! I guess my original answer kind of strayed from the question, but if you like journaling at all, it's worth a shot!

Last edited:
I started my own blog back in February. I don't post every day, and I started out a bit too serious for myself, I think. I talk to myself about issues in vet med, and I try to include experiences that I have as well. I actually think its very helpful to keep a blog, since I do like to be able to look back and see what I was thinking, how I viewed a certain topic, etc. I'm on the veterinary blog list, and I promise I'm not that girl who got rejected from UF and decided to have babies, or whatever ;)

I don't really follow any blogs, but I will check out the ones people posted here! I guess my original answer kind of strayed from the question, but if you like journaling at all, it's worth a shot!
I too am thinking of starting one redhead! So, do you care to share your exact web address of your blog ;)

Mine's in my signature, but I am giving fair warning that it's totally boring. It's for my friends and family, and for me to look back on some day. But it's basically "I studied, blah blah blah, exams suck, blah blah blah."

Don't say I didn't warn you.

The AAEP just recently started a new blog on their site. They have five different equine veterinarians contributing and some of the entries have been super entertaining. They're also updating pretty regularly, usually every 2-4 days.
http://www.aaep.org/blogs/stableliving.html

I started up my blog when I began my 1st application cycle last year (I'm a 2nd timer). Like many other blogs, its kinda boring aiming towards family and friends but I include random things that are unrelated (and related) to veterinary medicine. I have a list of blogs I follow that might pique your interest but it mainly aims at vet students that are going/or already overseas (UK).

Plus they make frequent updates!

http://thechroniclesofavetstudent.blogspot.com/

Hi guys, I realise I'm trolling a little (did I use that word correctly?) but I just registered to ask if any of you knew of and Irish vet blogs? I have found Pete Wedderburn, a homeopathic vet (doesn't seem legit), and a blog by a vet student. That is the sum total of my findings.

The reason I ask is that I am looking for a recently qualified Irish vet to contribute to a new farming publication (for the Irish market) and do a little media work. Perhaps you one of you know somebody (whether online or not) who might be interested. I have been told that vets make friends with other vets in an international type fraternity.

If you know anyone who might be suitable and/or interested, then let me know by pm!

Thanks

I have a friend who is in his first year at the University of Edinburgh and he chronicles his adventures over there at the vet school. It is very informative as he is way ahead of other students with anatomy and surgery, and he talks about the life of a student. Helpful for me since i am trying to get in too.

http://www.royaldick.blogspot.com/

Hi guys, I realise I'm trolling a little (did I use that word correctly?) but I just registered to ask if any of you knew of and Irish vet blogs?

No. No, you didn't.

If I wanted to troll this thread subtly, I would say that vet students who spend too much time blogging or thinking about blogging probably aren't your best source for learning about a typical vet school experience.

If I wanted to troll blatantly I'd say Let Me Google That For You, Idiot.

Either way, you aren't trolling. ;)

I just started a blog of my own..... http://brbinvetschool.blogspot.com/....for anyone who is interested. I will definitely try to keep it updated and all that but I can't promise anything. For now I'll just (probably) be writing about applying and preparing for vet school and such since I don't start until August - so that might be boring for some of y'all but hopefully/maybe helpful/informative for the people getting ready to apply. Once I get started it should get more interesting......if I don't forget about (I promise I am going to try to update it often!)

A lot of those (in the vet students section, at least) are just terrible. Especially the one where the girl didn't get into U of F so she gave up and had babies instead (or whatever).

However, I found this on one of them and lol'd:

I used to blog. I'd like to blog. I have a domain. Nothing is stopping me but my own... laziness, I suppose. Hm.

I can't believe I only read this just now-- nearly peed myself laughing :laugh:
which of those blogs was this hilarious snippet from?

No. No, you didn't.

If I wanted to troll this thread subtly, I would say that vet students who spend too much time blogging or thinking about blogging probably aren't your best source for learning about a typical vet school experience.

If I wanted to troll blatantly I'd say Let Me Google That For You, Idiot.

Either way, you aren't trolling. ;)

Okaaaaay, why has no one told me about "Let Me Google That For You"?!

That one was pretty bad but still valuable reading for prospective applicants. She posted her PS and it was most definitely a classic example of "what not to do". She talks about being passionate about animals and wanting to help them, but fails to talk much at all about medicine or about why she wanted to be a veterinarian as opposed to the dozens of other paths that involve work with animals. It's a fairly useful cautionary tale.

True, true. It just made me cringe. And, perhaps I'm a bit jealous as well. I mean, if I don't get in this year, it would be great to be able to shrug it off and go have a baby and continue like it's no big deal to completely miss the mark for my life goals...

That, and she sounded like she had just assumed she would get in. Just rubbed my fur the wrong way, you know?