Vet or Vet Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Based off what you've read, Vet or Vet Tech

• Total voters

Zayx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't expect this to be answered quickly but I wanted to give it a chance, everyone on here seems very helpful and to know what they're talking about so hopefully I can get some help. I also apologize if this is lengthy I'm not sure where to start without living out detail

I've been out of school for a year now due to complications with housing at Del State. I've always wanted to be a vet and had no doubts I could over come the vigorous math and science parts of Pre-Vet along with the debit or Vet school even though my math skills are horrible. I do not retain math very well and have a hard time remember math problems or formulas, I could have learned it the same year and still not remember anything I did when a math problem is put in front of me. This has always been a big concern and I thought I could handle it until being out of school for a year and having my hope diminished after having to much time on my hands to over think about the situation. recently I've learned about the Vet Tech career and I never knew there was another way to work with animals hands on without being a full blown vet. Now many people I've talked to said that a career path as a Vet tech isn't really a money thing and is more of a rewarding thing and I do plan to start a family eventually. I also feel like I'm not giving my self a chance or I'm putting my self down before even seeing where I can go but Vet school is very expensive, I don't want to go half way through and owe tons of money and from what I've read vet school debt isn't getting any easier to pay off. Another thing is my mother feels as thought I need a degree and I need to be a Vet so she's dead set on me going to Del State but I'm not 100% sure if that's what I should do, I don't want to base my life on pleasing my mom. I just want to have a career where I'm helping animals, I can still live comfortably, and I'm not drowning in debt can someone please help me??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't expect this to be answered quickly but I wanted to give it a chance, everyone on here seems very helpful and to know what they're talking about so hopefully I can get some help. I also apologize if this is lengthy I'm not sure where to start without living out detail

I've been out of school for a year now due to complications with housing at Del State. I've always wanted to be a vet and had no doubts I could over come the vigorous math and science parts of Pre-Vet along with the debit or Vet school even though my math skills are horrible. I do not retain math very well and have a hard time remember math problems or formulas, I could have learned it the same year and still not remember anything I did when a math problem is put in front of me. This has always been a big concern and I thought I could handle it until being out of school for a year and having my hope diminished after having to much time on my hands to over think about the situation. recently I've learned about the Vet Tech career and I never knew there was another way to work with animals hands on without being a full blown vet. Now many people I've talked to said that a career path as a Vet tech isn't really a money thing and is more of a rewarding thing and I do plan to start a family eventually. I also feel like I'm not giving my self a chance or I'm putting my self down before even seeing where I can go but Vet school is very expensive, I don't want to go half way through and owe tons of money and from what I've read vet school debt isn't getting any easier to pay off. Another thing is my mother feels as thought I need a degree and I need to be a Vet so she's dead set on me going to Del State but I'm not 100% sure if that's what I should do, I don't want to base my life on pleasing my mom. I just want to have a career where I'm helping animals, I can still live comfortably, and I'm not drowning in debt can someone please help me??
Have you shadowed a veterinarian yet? That would be the best way to see both careers and decide which is best for you. Being a tech is generally much more hands on, whereas as a vet you would be the one making decisions regarding patient care, but you may spend a lot more time talking with clients than actually interacting with animals. You're correct that neither career would be very lucrative considering the debt load that comes with vet school.

Reactions: 6 users
Have you shadowed a veterinarian yet? That would be the best way to see both careers and decide which is best for you. Being a tech is generally much more hands on, whereas as a vet you would be the one making decisions regarding patient care, but you may spend a lot more time talking with clients than actually interacting with animals. You're correct that neither career would be very lucrative considering the debt load that comes with vet school.

No I've never done that or even thought to do that, I'll see if I can start doing so at one of the local clinics close by. Thank you for responding!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing is my mother feels as thought I need a degree and I need to be a Vet so she's dead set on me going to Del State but I'm not 100% sure if that's what I should do, I don't want to base my life on pleasing my mom.
It's not her life and it's not her hundreds of thousands of dollars of vet school debt. Don't let her force you into doing either way. You do what you want and what is best for you and your situation, whichever option that is.

I agree with lyra. Shadow a vet and see if you're interested in that career before you make the choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed: shadow first.

There are many careers out there that will let you work with animals in some capacity, even without being a veterinarian or even a technician. There are also many careers that will allow you the free time and disposable income to work with animals outside of your actual career- volunteering, fostering, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
What everyone else said about shadowing or getting a job. I mean, you basically know nothing about the field. You could get your foot in the door and realized that you hate both jobs and could never do them. There are lots of ways to work with animals that don't require in being in the vet field.

Now many people I've talked to said that a career path as a Vet tech isn't really a money thing and is more of a rewarding thing and I do plan to start a family eventually.
I agree with all the previous comments. Shadow a vet. Wanted to comment that neither vet tech or tech is a money thing. Yes, vets make money but not nearly enough to pay off loans. I've had vet techs at the clinic I work at leave to work at Walmart because it paid better and they just had two children she needed to feed.

This field is not for money. There's a lot of veterinarians on SDN who said that if they could pay off loans, they would never step foot in a clinic again. Shadow a vet and see if this is what you want to do.

New poster but long time lurker here but I felt like I should reply to this one.

I've actually just finished taking my pre-reqs at Del State and will be attending veterinary school this fall.

The best advice I can give is to echo what the others are saying and to try and get some experience either shadowing or working at a clinic. I spent some time working as a tech and really enjoyed it, although my heart was always set on becoming a veterinarian. In general, I feel like vet tech is a more hands-on job working with the animals doing things like restraint, administering some treatments, patient monitoring, etc. Techs can do quite a bit but I've noticed that usage can really vary depending on the practice you work at.

If you have any specific questions about this area I may be able to help out. Feel free to PM me.

There's a lot of veterinarians on SDN who said that if they could pay off loans, they would never step foot in a clinic again. Shadow a vet and see if this is what you want to do.

Do you mean because they get burnt out and want to leave the field?

That, the student loans are atrocious, it's not what they wanted, etc

I think it was... maybe @twelvetigers who was saying that? Or maybe @DVMDream ... not entirely sure tbh
I know dvmd is selling her Dvm degree for the low low price of her loans! Act now while you can still get it at this low rate before the price increases!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you for the responses, I will do what everyone is saying and shadow a vet this summer. I apologize for not putting a none of the above in the poll I never made a poll on here before this is the first time I've posted on this website.

Thank you for the responses, I will do what everyone is saying and shadow a vet this summer. I apologize for not putting a none of the above in the poll I never made a poll on here before this is the first time I've posted on this website.

Heh. I was mostly teasing. But only mostly - there is definitely a part of me that would tell people "find a different industry, this one is broken."

Reactions: 3 users
That, the student loans are atrocious, it's not what they wanted, etc

I think it was... maybe @twelvetigers who was saying that? Or maybe @DVMDream ... not entirely sure tbh

If I were 100% loan free tomorrow, I'd give it a good amount of consideration, especially after this week.

I may find some non-clinical avenue of some sort in the future once the loans are done. And I always say I wouldn't do it over again, and I wouldn't. It is what it is.

I know dvmd is selling her Dvm degree for the low low price of her loans! Act now while you can still get it at this low rate before the price increases!!!

This offer is still on the table! For anyone interested, just send me a PM and I will take payment in cash. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Neither.

Today, the ratio of debt to income for the average new vet is roughly double that of M.D.’s, according to Malcolm Getz, an economist at Vanderbilt University. To practitioners in the field, such numbers are ominous, and they portend lean times for new graduates.

Hello Zayx! I think everyone's recommendation about shadowing at a clinic is excellent. But, I would encourage you to consider looking outside the field of veterinary medicine as well. From reading your original post, you're most interested in finding a job that works with animals and will pay relatively well. Vet and vet techs are two options, but there are a lot more out there that don't require as much educational and financial investment. Unfortunately, jobs in the animal field aren't among the top-paid but there are a variety of options.

For example, especially when you factor out school debt, dog groomers can earn a wage that's competitive with veterinarians. Tainers typically don't make as much as groomers, but those with established clients can make a healthy wage. Farriers, as well, can make a very healthy living.

In short, don't feel like being a vet or vet tech are your only options! Shadow at a clinic but consider broadening your research and looking at all the various options out there for working with animals.