Aug 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I am deciding between vet school and med school although I have already applied to vet school.

I received my Bachelor's degree in two years as a Biology major and recently received my Master's degree in Biotechnology. Over the past year I have worked at a veterinarians office to get hours and have applied to vet school for Fall 2018. However, I have been looking into salaries and hours put in and have been thinking about med school. The way I see it, I love animals and would love to be a vet but I am not sure if 8+ years of schooling is worth the small salaries and emergency hours that vets receive comparatively. As far as med school, I feel like I would make a good doctor because my emotions wouldn't get in the way as they would as a vet (since its heartbreaking a vet when theres just nothing you can do). To clarify, I would preferably be a radiologist, anesthesiologist, or general practitioner (something that I would not deal with the major downsides of the job like a vet would). I would also make more money as an MD. My main worry is that I just applied to vet school and I don't want to appear wishy-washy in my applications since I had applied to PhD programs before vet school. My rec letter providers have provided both PhD letters and vet letters and I'm not sure how comfortable I am asking them to change my focus and write a new one AGAIN, especially because I don't have any other people I could ask. Also, I might have to take more time to get hours in a MD office and get a rec letter from an MD. Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? I feel like I'm so late in the process to change again but I don't want to be stuck as a vet and not like my salary/hours.

wholeheartedly

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2009
Beyond the Wall
I am deciding between vet school and med school although I have already applied to vet school.

I received my Bachelor's degree in two years as a Biology major and recently received my Master's degree in Biotechnology. Over the past year I have worked at a veterinarians office to get hours and have applied to vet school for Fall 2018. However, I have been looking into salaries and hours put in and have been thinking about med school. The way I see it, I love animals and would love to be a vet but I am not sure if 8+ years of schooling is worth the small salaries and emergency hours that vets receive comparatively. As far as med school, I feel like I would make a good doctor because my emotions wouldn't get in the way as they would as a vet (since its heartbreaking a vet when theres just nothing you can do). To clarify, I would preferably be a radiologist, anesthesiologist, or general practitioner (something that I would not deal with the major downsides of the job like a vet would). I would also make more money as an MD. My main worry is that I just applied to vet school and I don't want to appear wishy-washy in my applications since I had applied to PhD programs before vet school. My rec letter providers have provided both PhD letters and vet letters and I'm not sure how comfortable I am asking them to change my focus and write a new one AGAIN, especially because I don't have any other people I could ask. Also, I might have to take more time to get hours in a MD office and get a rec letter from an MD. Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? I feel like I'm so late in the process to change again but I don't want to be stuck as a vet and not like my salary/hours.

You went the vet route for a reason, I'd recommend sticking with that. There are pros and cons of each, and while MD has higher income, the much longer training path negates some of that difference esp in your case where you're at app ready for vet but would need much more time to be app ready for med. So in the end, you're probably best off doing something you feel passionate about. Most if the vets I know, while not necessarily rolling in dough, are doing fine financially.

Reactions: gyngyn

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Honestly man I dont think your reasons are "good" enough to make this switch. I understand your attachment to animals, but believe me you will see things in all walks of medicine that will make you feel extremes of emotion in all directions. Moneys not a good enough reason either. I would just stay with being a vet. It's normal when you're closing in on a decision to think of other alternatives, because in a sense you are closing all doors when you walk through one.

About the Ads