Vet School Towns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just another perspective on Philly for non-city people. I do not like cities. I grew up in the "boondocks" of northeastern PA and have never been comfortable in this or any other city. The crazy drivers, traffic noises at night (I still have no idea why people feel the need to drive around with their stereos blasting at full volume), and occasional creepy person hanging out in the alley kind of bug me. That being said I live only 4 blocks away from the vet school in a really nice little studio apartment. I feel very safe here and the Penn police are all over the place.(I did see a car with its window smashed in one block over but I'm assuming that they left something valuable looking in plain view and suffered the consequences.) I do pay a rather high rent because I didn't want roommates so that's something to consider. Overall:
-Do I love Philly?
No.
-Can I put up with it if it means going to Penn (which is awesome)?
YES!
-Will I stay here after I graduate?
No. Definitely not!
EDIT: Also, I have yet to find good pizza. What's up with that? I live in the middle of nowhere but we have amazing pizza (to be fair though most of the population in my hometown is of Italian descent). How can I not find good pizza here!?

I really liked Lorenzo's on South Street, too, for pizza. Delicious!

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed, and I'm not even a city person. I am at a total loss with what to do for fun when my boyfriend comes into town for a weekend. Other than go out to eat and see a movie, there aren't many "tourist-y" things to do.

Drive down to Wrightsville for the day. 2 hours on I-40, and you can take the pups on the beach after October 1 (or sometime around then--you'll have to double check). October at the NC beaches is lovely and quiet -- my favorite month down there! Grab a 'dog at the Trolley Stop for lunch and an early dinner at Tower 7 or The Dockside and then drive back for the night.

Also, check out Umstead Park for good hiking with the pups.

That's about it though. Will agree that the Museum of Life and Science in Durham is incredible. I'm pretty sure I went at least monthly from ages 5-12.

I think location is an important factor after you look at the tuition expense. To me, I do like living near a fairly large city. I know we will not have tons of free time but I think mentally it is nice to be surrounded by civilization. I think with a busy schedule and stress, I personally would be happier knowing in my free time I could do something and not live in the middle of nowhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to UF in Gainesville for my undergraduate degree. At first, I was not too crazy about it, sort of felt like a cage. Sure Orlando and Jacksonville are close, but at the same time one must drive 1.5 hours to get to either...and from Gville to either place there is pretty much nothing in between.

What won me over about Gville was getting into the football spirit. The entire town of 100,000 (roughly) really embraces the football culture. I have so many great memories of tailgating with friends.

The reason the football spirit won me over is likely because there really is nothing else to do. I am from Ft Lauderdale area, so I am used to being able to drive to other cities that are close by with more things to do.

There are tons of buses that come by every 5-10 mins so I find it easy to commute there. Also, I never dormed. I always lived in an apartment 2 miles away and always made it to school in 20 mins, or less. It is pretty easy to bike ride as well.

I am used to warm weather, so Gainesville was actually pretty nice for me. I actually got a taste of what "cold" weather is like. After all, where I am from, I am accustomed to 80 degrees in Dec-Feb. The summers are very humid and warm, but I think this is typical for a lot of locations near the east.

The new small animal hospital is very nice and has lots of windows. Other than it, I never thought much of the vet school by glance. But then again, I spent zero time at it while I was there.

As far as outdoors, I think I am spoiled from growing up 2 miles from the beach. I am not too impressed with the parks Gainesville has to offer. Sure you can go to Payne's Prarie, but it is just some trails with trees. To me, there is only so much you can do with that!

As for a vet school option, I def would consider it, but I think I am ready for something new.

I'm afraid to ask about Pomona... hahaha have not heard the best things about it unfortunately!

Hahaha....:laugh:

For what it's worth, the WSU area isn't so bad.

I absolutely hated it when I first saw it. And I still don't like Pullman much.

BUT I live in the next town over, Moscow ID. It's a much, much cuter town with a different vibe. I enjoy it here. And this is coming from a girl who lived in belltown seattle and was used to normal ammenities.

(If you read the WSU thread, there is a discussion about how different Moscow is from Pullman).

The weather isn't bad, just takes some getting used to. It's a dry cold, which is much much better than a damp cold. Everyone I've met around town has been friendly. I feel really safe here. One night I was a genius and left my keys (all of them) in my door. They were still there the next morning.

There are dog friendly places. Cheap cheap housing. ZERO traffic. I have a 10 minute drive to school on a 4 lane road with absolutely no one around. I use the drive to eat breakfast and listen to music. Food, well, you're kind of at a loss there. But I work in a kitchen/bakery and I get some really good stuff. I don't study much off campus but there are some cute coffee shops. I live in a nice, well kept area.

The major cons I can think of: no restaurants of the quality I'm used to (which is hard to top, coming from a major city). Kind of cold. No good looking single men anywhere near the vet school. That's about it.

Ha, I should update since I wrote that post around 3 years ago :)

My opinion still hasn't changed. Moscow, the neighboring town 8 miles away, is much much nicer than Pullman. I enjoy living here for school. I wouldn't live here after school (I'd go for a more urban environment), but it's a really nice place to live.

I can walk to everything I need in town. School is only 10-15 minutes away and I never have a problem getting there even with snow.

You're still SOL for places to eat, a variety of shopping, or cultural activities. That said, I lived in a luxury condo right in downtown Seattle for a while, so I have some high expectations. For a small town, it does a good job.

The folks in town are nice.

All in all, I'm actually going to be sad to move away. I love my little trailer, it's been a perfect home for the last 4 years. I love my little town and all the friends I made here. I love my work (I worked in a bakery) and enjoy going into the store and having a bunch of people know who I am. I love feeling safe when I walk around and I love the nature we have here.

I'm afraid to ask about Pomona... hahaha have not heard the best things about it unfortunately!

yeah Pomona is not the greatest place in the world, but i do feel safe on campus which is the most important part. Then Southern California in general feels like one giant city that sprawls out for miles and miles. I do not live in Pomona, I live 10 minutes west and it feels like a whole different world.

A lot of my classmates live in a city called Claremont which is about 10 minutes north and it is a college town, way different then where I live, different then Pomona. So there are lots of options in a 10-20 minutes radius

yeah Pomona is not the greatest place in the world, but i do feel safe on campus which is the most important part. Then Southern California in general feels like one giant city that sprawls out for miles and miles. I do not live in Pomona, I live 10 minutes west and it feels like a whole different world.

A lot of my classmates live in a city called Claremont which is about 10 minutes north and it is a college town, way different then where I live, different then Pomona. So there are lots of options in a 10-20 minutes radius

You're right, feeling safe on campus is definitely the most important part! I've heard a lot of nice things about Claremont but did not realize it was so close to the campus so thats nice to know. Thanks! :)

Just curious, when you give these drive times, is this without any other cars on the road? I think it took me 45 minutes to get to Diamond Bar from Pomona the last time I was there.

Just curious, when you give these drive times, is this without any other cars on the road? I think it took me 45 minutes to get to Diamond Bar from Pomona the last time I was there.

ooo really? I booked with Shilo Inn Diamond Bar and they told me they would shuttle me to and from the airport and the school... how far is it (miles wise) from the school? I know traffic sucks there :eek:

ooo really? I booked with Shilo Inn Diamond Bar and they told me they would shuttle me to and from the airport and the school... how far is it (miles wise) from the school? I know traffic sucks there :eek:

On google maps it says it's about 5 miles. I don't remember my exact start and end points, but it seemed like it took forever. Your trip shouldn't be bad, I would guess.

You're right, feeling safe on campus is definitely the most important part! I've heard a lot of nice things about Claremont but did not realize it was so close to the campus so thats nice to know. Thanks! :)

Yup! In case you couldn't tell by my screen name, I lived in Claremont for 4 years and loved it. I would be so happy if I could move back there!

Keep in mind -- when people refer to Claremont as a "college town" ... it is not a typical college town. The Village has a lot of nice restaurants and a cozy feel but there aren't really any bars (unlike Davis). The colleges in Claremont are not big party schools and students do not go out into the community to drink/party...they stay on campus for the most part and the party scene is pretty mild overall.

On google maps it says it's about 5 miles. I don't remember my exact start and end points, but it seemed like it took forever. Your trip shouldn't be bad, I would guess.

Ok that's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
5 miles in L.A is a loooong distance during the day. That's about the distance from Beverly Hills to downtown L.A... it might as well be 50.

5 miles in L.A is a loooong distance during the day. That's about the distance from Beverly Hills to downtown L.A... it might as well be 50.

yeah.... that generally took 30 mins to an hour to make that run.... I lived in dtla for 4 years. blegh

While traffic can be bad in LA, out by Diamond Bar/Pomona/Claremont, traffic isn't nearly as bad as the 10 between Santa Monica and Downtown, so I wouldn't worry much. I know when I went to my interview at Western I drove from Pasadena (where there is more traffic) to Western in 40 minutes in rush hour traffic (which is not much longer than it would have taken me without traffic), and I took the 57 right near Diamond Bar to the 71.

I agree with Pooter's assessment of Philly. I am definitely a city person and I appreciate the fact that I can order cookies for delivery at 2AM or walk to get indian, thai, italian, ethiopian, vietnamese, or mexican food. I like living in a diverse city and being somewhere that I can walk around holding hands with my girlfriend without anyone caring.
There are lots of studios and apartment buildings. If you shop around and use craigslist you can get a place that isn't insanely expensive. Right now I pay $1400 (with my girlfriend) for a 3 story, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom beautiful house with a yard which is not bad at all.

Thanks for sharing that, it's been one of my points of curiosity about vet schools. I'm guessing that Western and UPenn are the only ones in proper queer-friendly cities (not just a "liberal college town" bubble). I think some students would have an easier time going to school "anywhere," especially if you're not a sexual/social/ethnic minority who has more of a reason to not be keen on living in a red state for 4 years. I'd go to school in a conservative state if that's the only place I can get in, but I'd really rather not live someplace where I feel like I have to explain myself and be on the defensive or get glares from locals.

Philly's not bad, and by city folk standards, it's affordable, even in the nice areas. Trains and buses connect it with nearby DC and NYC, so there's all the culture and fun you could want for a weekend away if you want more than what Philly itself offers.

Thanks for sharing that, it's been one of my points of curiosity about vet schools. I'm guessing that Western and UPenn are the only ones in proper queer-friendly cities (not just a "liberal college town" bubble). I think some students would have an easier time going to school "anywhere," especially if you're not a sexual/social/ethnic minority who has more of a reason to not be keen on living in a red state for 4 years. I'd go to school in a conservative state if that's the only place I can get in, but I'd really rather not live someplace where I feel like I have to explain myself and be on the defensive or get glares from locals.

Philly's not bad, and by city folk standards, it's affordable, even in the nice areas. Trains and buses connect it with nearby DC and NYC, so there's all the culture and fun you could want for a weekend away if you want more than what Philly itself offers.

I've read good things about Columbus, OH in terms of being very accepting of the LGBTQ community! I've only been there once and have only read this, so obviously it's to be taken with a grain of salt.

I would think the same could be said about U of Minnesota -- Minneapolis (right across the river from St. Paul, where the school is) is a huge city. When I interviewed out there, several students mentioned that they lived in Minneapolis.

Also, Madison, WI...friends of mine moved there because they are a lesbian couple raising a daughter and found it to be a place with like-minded people. They wanted their child to know others who had two moms and not feel like she was unusual.

I don't know what you'd classify Davis as - but it's pretty queer-friendly. There's some idiocy in surrounding areas but I think you have that everywhere, and SF Bay Area isn't too far away. :)

edit: fwiw not being in a red state was a huge consideration of mine as well.

I don't know what you'd classify Davis as - but it's pretty queer-friendly. There's some idiocy in surrounding areas but I think you have that everywhere, and SF Bay Area isn't too far away. :)

edit: fwiw not being in a red state was a huge consideration of mine as well.

I'm not a Davis (town) fan. I've only spent a few days there when I visited a friend who was a student, but it just seemed like there was nothing to do, and had that fake-y "college town" vibe that I personally don't like. Proximity to SF is nice, but I'd ideally like to live in an actual city, not just be within decent driving distance of a city.

Madison and Minnesota would be on my list for second application cycle if I can't get into my top choices the first time around. Better than some tiny towns, but I think I'd still prefer UPenn above anything in the middle of the country.

I would think the same could be said about U of Minnesota -- Minneapolis (right across the river from St. Paul, where the school is) is a huge city. When I interviewed out there, several students mentioned that they lived in Minneapolis.

Minneapolis/St. Paul themselves are quite gay-friendly, and I think the school itself is, as well. One of my closer friends in vet school is a gay student, and my impression from talking about it with him is that he feels quite comfortable here (both city and school). Our school is more urban than most, which I imagine helps.

That said, I'm straight, so my perspective isn't as meaningful as someone of different sexuality/gender identity/etc. I feel pretty confident, though, saying that people in the vet school are extremely welcoming of anyone.

I know that here at NCSU we have five lesbians in our class and I think they feel fairly comfortable in the surrounding area considering we're in the "south". Raleigh has such a high number of transplant citizens from the Northeast and West Coast that it's more liberal than many other places down here. And the school is a very accepting place to be on top of that!

I'm not a Davis (town) fan. I've only spent a few days there when I visited a friend who was a student, but it just seemed like there was nothing to do, and had that fake-y "college town" vibe that I personally don't like. Proximity to SF is nice, but I'd ideally like to live in an actual city, not just be within decent driving distance of a city.

I don't blame you. Just thought I'd mention it in that particular context. :)

Latetothegame, Columbus is one of the top cities in the nation for the LGBTQ community. My girlfriend and I have lived here for a couple years now and it's great. She works at a shelter for homeless LGBT youth and volunteers as a mentor for first-year LGBT undergrads at OSU. The entirety of the Short North is pretty much like a mini boystown, with lots of gay bars, restaurants, and stores.

Also, I am out and proud at vet school, and talked about it during my interview. I work in student affairs, am President of my class, and have great relationships with faculty and staff. Ohio State is definitely a good choice if you're looking for something LGBT friendly.

I know that here at NCSU we have five lesbians in our class and I think they feel fairly comfortable in the surrounding area considering we're in the "south". Raleigh has such a high number of transplant citizens from the Northeast and West Coast that it's more liberal than many other places down here. And the school is a very accepting place to be on top of that!

Just wrote a long response warning about going too far away from Raleigh because the rest of N. Carolina is not so tolerant. Then realized that I was thinking of experiences of my friend from SOUTH Carolina. Geography fail. Sorry.

I would also label Raleigh as relatively gay-friendly, at least in certain circles -- we had a ton of dogs and cats with two moms or dads at the clinic where I worked.

OTOH, growing up there, I've definitely heard my fair share of homophobic and closed-minded comments, and there is a pretty strong "Christian"-values contingent in the area -- for example, after the Episcopal church elected a gay bishop in New England several years ago, a significant portion of my parents' church's congregation broke off to join the Anglican church -- though probably not a group you would mix with as a veterinary student. I certainly wouldn't compare it to Philadelphia or NYC, but I'd also imagine it's a more accepting and open-minded city than you'll find in the deep south (but I've never visited Auburn or UGA, and didn't get much of a feel for Starkville, so I hate to jump to conclusions!).

I can't imagine most people would go out of their way to torment a same-sex couple, but it's certainly not the type of place that you can hold hands with or kiss your same sex partner in public without people staring....

I can't imagine most people would go out of their way to torment a same-sex couple, but it's certainly not the type of place that you can hold hands with or kiss your same sex partner in public without people staring....

That makes me sad... my girlfriend really wants to move to NC at some point but we would not do well with the no-holding-hands-in-public thing. Is that pretty typical of the whole state or are there other cities we could look at?

I certainly wouldn't compare it to Philadelphia or NYC, but I'd also imagine it's a more accepting and open-minded city than you'll find in the deep south (but I've never visited Auburn or UGA, and didn't get much of a feel for Starkville, so I hate to jump to conclusions!).

This sounds about right. It isn't San Fran or Philly, but for the south and bible belt it is pretty friendly and tolerant. The Pride Parade and Festival is well-attended each year, one of our favorite class hangouts is the gay bar downtown, and, like I said, the school's atmosphere is nothing but accepting (and that's where you'll spend most of your time anyway!). We're in the south but it's one of the better options for people of the LGBTQ community.

As far as the holding hands thing, several of my classmates are in committed relationships and definitely show affection in public without getting any flak from passersby. Will people possibly give you a second glance or a glare? Maybe but unfortunately that is likely going to happen in a lot of places today. The Triangle area in general is educated, fairly liberal, and a great bet for other cultures, ethnicities, or lifestyles.

As far as the holding hands thing, several of my classmates are in committed relationships and definitely show affection in public without getting any flak from passersby. Will people possibly give you a second glance or a glare? Maybe but unfortunately that is likely going to happen in a lot of places today. The Triangle area in general is educated, fairly liberal, and a great bet for other cultures, ethnicities, or lifestyles.

FWIW, I'd say you're just about as likely to get a second glance if you're holding hands/making out with an opposite-sex partner in broad daylight -- PDA just isn't a huge thing in Raleigh. I don't think the vast majority of people care what you're doing in your bedroom -- they just don't want to necessarily see it in public -- unlike NYC, where you can literally be walking around without pants on and no one gives you a second glance. Not saying it's right, but that's the way it is right now.

Like I said, we had a ton of LGBTQ clients in committed relationships who were very, very happy in Raleigh -- but they were perhaps a bit less open about their relationship than they may have been were they in Philly or NY.

And I wouldn't say this attitude is limited to the southeast -- I'd say it's the rule (rather than the exception) for the majority of this country, outside of major urban centers.

There is currently an anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment on the May ballot -- and the amount of opposition I've seen just from following the issue from afar is pretty amazing. All of the opposition, from all corners of the state, and especially from our generation, gives me hope.

Oh gosh...how could I not even think to say that Ithaca, NY (home of Cornell) is very open/liberal/friendly to all! Although much of upstate NY is not that way, Ithaca really is. I did my undergraduate at Cornell, so I've spent a lot of time there. It's a very "hippie" kind of town, and no person can feel unusual there since there are all kinds of people from all walks of life. Just go to the Commons to feel a sense of belonging, no matter what.

Thanks for all the replies!

I feel pretty confident, though, saying that people in the vet school are extremely welcoming of anyone.

I'm not concerned about other students, my concern is every other interaction. Even if most of my waking hours are at school, overhearing a homophobic joke while buying groceries or getting a glare if I'm on a date with someone will distract and annoy me. I want vet school to be the only uphill battle of vet school.

Hows living expenses in/around Raleigh?

I'd say they're pretty middle of the road (this was my first time living on my own off-campus) but not too bad considering this is a "metro" area. They run the gamut too - I pay about $500 for a one bedroom but I have classmates who pay upwards of $900 for their own single apartment. Two bedrooms go for anywhere from $700 to $1300. You really need to research and shop around because there are sooooo many different choices for apartment and townhome living. Buying and renting houses is also very do-able in this area. As far as where to live, you can choose to find a place very close to campus/NCSU, up in North Raleigh (where I am), by Cary, or even out toward Brier Creek, Morrisville, and RTP. All of these places will land you within a 20 minute or less drive to school!

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm not concerned about other students, my concern is every other interaction. Even if most of my waking hours are at school, overhearing a homophobic joke while buying groceries or getting a glare if I'm on a date with someone will distract and annoy me. I want vet school to be the only uphill battle of vet school.

It sounds like UPenn is your first choice, and if that's the case, go for it. But honestly, I don't think humans have evolved enough to guarantee you won't be offended in public anywhere you end up unfortunately. I think it's more important to ask whether you'll be able to find a community of people you can connect with and spend 4 years with. Based on what you've written here, I would just suggest keeping a bit more of an open mind about locale. Maybe I've read your posts wrong, or I'm reading too much into it, but you seem quick to pre-judge and make some fairly sweeping negative generalizations about any vet school located in the middle of the country and "red" states. It's your perogative of course, but many of those towns you're quick to dismiss, including Minneapolis and Madison, are very progressive, gay-friendly towns that might surprise you and you might be very happy at.

Matt - while I think you're right that you can't tell a city's LGBT-friendliness purely by longitude (that's why this thread is so helpful) remember that as a gay person, when I think about moving somewhere I am wondering: am I going to get hurt? am I going to have people hate me for something I can't control? am I going to have to change my normal appropriate behavior so that people don't treat me badly? what if I leave the city to go on a day trip? It's a very self-protective mindset and it's very unfortunate that it has to be that way, but when you're honestly just trying to protect yourself and the person you love, it's hard to be super open and take chances because of the risks of taking that chance. Of course it is important for the school to be LGBT-friendly (which most seem to be) but I also need to have a life outside of school and that's why I appreciate Philly so much for being able to walk around with my girlfriend and be mildly affectionate with her in public, for having lots of other out gay people that I can socialize with outside of school, and for having laws that protect me from employment discrimination if I get a job here.

remember that as a gay person, when I think about moving somewhere I am wondering: am I going to get hurt? am I going to have people hate me for something I can't control? am I going to have to change my normal appropriate behavior so that people don't treat me badly? what if I leave the city to go on a day trip?

Just putting this out there...I HATE that you have to think about these things on a regular basis No one should have to worry about stuff like this simply because they are who they are.

Anyone from Oregon State University reading this thread? If so, I'd love to hear your opinions on Corvallis and what it's like in general.

I'd say they're pretty middle of the road (this was my first time living on my own off-campus) but not too bad considering this is a "metro" area. They run the gamut too - I pay about $500 for a one bedroom but I have classmates who pay upwards of $900 for their own single apartment. Two bedrooms go for anywhere from $700 to $1300. You really need to research and shop around because there are sooooo many different choices for apartment and townhome living. Buying and renting houses is also very do-able in this area. As far as where to live, you can choose to find a place very close to campus/NCSU, up in North Raleigh (where I am), by Cary, or even out toward Brier Creek, Morrisville, and RTP. All of these places will land you within a 20 minute or less drive to school!

Thanks, the names of towns and commutes has been really helpful during my searches.

Just putting this out there...I HATE that you have to think about these things on a regular basis No one should have to worry about stuff like this simply because they are who they are.

Thank you. And the more people there are like you, the less people like me will have to worry :)

I also think its pathetic that America in general hasn't progressed to the point where people can live how they want without discrimination. I don't understand why a lifestyle that may differ from your own is something that people have to fear and insult.

I also think its pathetic that America in general hasn't progressed to the point where people can live how they want without discrimination. I don't understand why a lifestyle that may differ from your own is something that people have to fear and insult.

:thumbup:

Couldn't agree more. It really is pathetic in this day and age.