Vet Students and LVTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

betweenusgurls

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard it mentioned that in some states,vet students become qualified LVTs after the second year of vet school

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Could you sit for the LVT exam after having two years of vet school? I can't imagine that you would be 'automatically an LVT' after simply passing 2nd year.

This is just a question of curiosity!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard it mentioned that in some states,vet students become qualified LVTs after the second year of vet school

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Could you sit for the LVT exam after having two years of vet school? I can't imagine that you would be 'automatically an LVT' after simply passing 2nd year.

I'm not directly answering your question...

The way Ohio had its laws, as a Veterinary students I could legally do everything an LVT could plus a bit more. So functionally I could(and did) work as a technician while in school.

From the AVMA Policy on Veterinary Technology: "A veterinary technician [that is, a LVT, RVT, or CVT depending on the state] is a graduate of a two- or three-year AVMA-accredited program in veterinary technology. In most cases the graduate is granted an associate degree or certificate."

At one point people could be "grandfathered" in to licensure/registration/what-have-you, if they felt comfortable enough with their knowledge to sit the VTNE and their state board, but I don't imagine any vet students would care to go through that additional stress! And as far as I know the clock has run out in all states to grandfather...but each state operates on its own, so there may be one or two out there still that allows people to test without graduating from a vet tech program. I thought I hard that the last one stopped that a couple years ago, however. Either way...if you're going through vet school, no need to be a credentialed vet tech :) And you cannot become one by going to vet school, just like you won't become a vet by going to tech school. :p

I've been an LVT/RVT for 9 years, although I let my RVT expire this past May. While I've been told that would work against me while applying to vet school (it didn't), I've never heard any vets mention that this came up while they were in school. I'm curious where your source got their information from.

ETA: that's not to say, like David mentioned, that a second year vet student couldn't legally work as a vet tech in some states. And let's face it, most hospitals don't make any or much of a distinction between vet techs and assistants. But you couldn't claim to be a LVT, much like it would be fraud for me to hire myself out as an RVT now that I've let my registration expire.

Last edited: