Vet students: school/life balance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bacci

Wisconsin c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but I kind of want to hear it from the current students. :D

So vet students! Now that I've been admitted, what's the school/life balance really like? Give it to me straight! Are you able to go out at all? Is life just a black hole of flashcards and textbooks? Has your relationship with bf/gf suffered? What about your pets?

I've been out of undergrad for over a year, and I must say I've been enjoying myself. I have always been the over-achiever, and I didn't have much of a social life in undergrad because of it. It's going to be hard to get back into the grind, so soften the blow a bit. If I get used to the idea now, it won't be such a shock!

My boyfriend is very concerned that I'm "going to suck." :laugh: Is he right?

Members don't see this ad.

It is totally possible to have a life in vet school...on the weekends lol. Our class usually goes out on Friday nights. I mean, you will be studying a lot but you can have fun too. I am married so I have experience in the relationship department. There are times (like right before a big test) where it does get stressful and I don't get to spend as much time with my husband as I would like but he is very understanding/supportive. We do fight (not really fight as much as complain at each other) about it some but he usually only feels neglected for a day or so. As for the pets, I make it a priority to play with them, take them on walks, etc. You just have to be able to prioritize and make sure your SO is aware of the realities of vet school. Make sure he/she knows about the demands on your time and you should be fine. Oh, and be prepared to only have vet school to talk about. Even when everyone goes out, all we talk about is vet school because we literally don't have anything else going on lol. Hope this helps!

I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but I kind of want to hear it from the current students. :D

So vet students! Now that I've been admitted, what's the school/life balance really like? Give it to me straight! Are you able to go out at all? Is life just a black hole of flashcards and textbooks? Has your relationship with bf/gf suffered? What about your pets?

I've been out of undergrad for over a year, and I must say I've been enjoying myself. I have always been the over-achiever, and I didn't have much of a social life in undergrad because of it. It's going to be hard to get back into the grind, so soften the blow a bit. If I get used to the idea now, it won't be such a shock!

My boyfriend is very concerned that I'm "going to suck." :laugh: Is he right?

Sometimes its a blackhole of work, sometimes its manageable... there will be weeks with none or only 1 test, and weeks with 3 (this week for me :((() Going out is really all your personal choice, based on how you study and how long it takes you to solidly retain information. If you're going out 2-3 times a week, and making decent grades (whatever you consider "decent"- another subjective term here), then that's fine for you. If it takes you 4 days of solid studying and repetition, and you have a test on Monday, then it might not be in your best interest to go out that weekend.

People here usually go out on the weekends (they have different organized mixers for vet and law school students), unless there is a test Monday or a barrage of tests the next week. Last semester I went out a lot in the beginning, then towards November I stopped doing a lot of partying. I kind of got to where, at the end of the day, I was just exhausted and just want to sit on the couch and watch TV in my free time. This semester I have been doing the same, because I want to bring my grades up, and for me, that means studying on the weekends (I can't go out Friday and study all hungover Saturday). So, I have figured out what I have to do and the sacrifices I have to make. You will be in good company too, because, like you, all the other students in the class are overachievers as well and they want to make good grades. You will find time to go out. There will be weeks where you all are bogged down and then you finish a test and everyone in the class declares to go out that night together for a no-study celebration. It just depends on the timing.

As far as boyfriends go, I am in a long distance relationship going on 5 years. We did it all through undergrad and I was twice as far away as I am now. It's tough sometimes, because it seems like he is busy when I'm not, and I am when he's not. It was more difficult last semester because he had to get used to me being so busy (like you said above, I didn't have a social life in undergrad either, so it's a change). He also had trouble thinking of vet school as a job for me and couldnt understand why I didn't have an hour to talk on nights before a test when I was so stressed out all I wanted to do was study! But weve worked it out. As long as they understand you enough to know youre under a tremendous amount of stress, because no one will truly know what this is like except the people who have/are experiencing it!

SOrry for the novel :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the responses guys! Its really helpful and takes a way a little of the post-acceptance "My God, what have I done?!?!?" feeling. :p

And It'll give me something solid to show my boyfriend, to ease his worries as well. Yay! Thank you again!

Life is definitely possible in vet school. It mostly boils down to prioritizing and knowing what works for you. I kick my butt studying during the week, and only spend 3-5 hours during the weekend. So I'm able to work 10ish hours on the weekend, and volunteer with a therapeutic riding facility for an hour a week. I also still have a few hours on the weekends to spare for my friends. (Keep in mind I drink very very rarely, so I knock hungoverness out of the equation). If I have a gigantic test on Monday, sometimes the friend time doesn't happen, but it hasn't happened often.

It took me and the hubs a little while to get used to not having quite as much time together but even that transition went smoothly enough. As it is, we find enough time to at least sit down and watch a tv show before bed most nights of the week.

So far with all of this, I ended up with mostly A's and a few B's last semester, and it looks like I'll rack in mostly B's with a few A's this semester. That's more a result of different/more unfamiliar material being covered and different professors than time spent studying though.

Its really helpful and takes a way a little of the post-acceptance "My God, what have I done?!?!?" feeling. :p

Hahahaha I TOTALLY had that same reaction momentarily earlier this week. But whenever I think about how hard something is/is going to be, I remember what my boyfriend says and just think about what the end results will be when I get through. And I know it will be WAY worth it in the end :)

Personally, I just can't imagine that vet school life is going to be harder than what life is like right now. More academically rigorous, yes. But seriously, right now most of us are working or taking classes full time, and doing the other part-time or both full-time, plus shadowing, plus volunteering, plus interning, plus clubs and community activities, plus stressing over educating ourselves on how to get ready for the application process, plus taking the GRE, plus whatever else we have going on, all on top of not knowing if we are going to eventually freaking GET IN or NOT. :scared:

Right now it seems like a year of vet school would come as a blessing, so that I only have to worry about doing ONE thing (even if it is one really hard thing!).

Personally, I just can't imagine that vet school life is going to be harder than what life is like right now. More academically rigorous, yes. But seriously, right now most of us are working or taking classes full time, and doing the other part-time or both full-time, plus shadowing, plus volunteering, plus interning, plus clubs and community activities, plus stressing over educating ourselves on how to get ready for the application process, plus taking the GRE, plus whatever else we have going on, all on top of not knowing if we are going to eventually freaking GET IN or NOT. :scared:

Right now it seems like a year of vet school would come as a blessing, so that I only have to worry about doing ONE thing (even if it is one really hard thing!).

It's just very taxing.... in undergrad, I didn't have to try that hard... now I have to try VERY hard to get a lot less. It just wears you down at times, studying, fretting, worrying, panicking over minute details, being in a class full of people doing the same thing day after day after day for 6-8 hours, you're just like "I don't want to do this right now!!" but you HAVE to keep going... at least in the first semester. And yes, speaking for myself, it is harder than all the stuff you mentioned. Worth it? Of course.

Sometimes I really really wish I could go back to undergrad lol. Like it was said above, I didn't have to try very hard in undergrad. Now I do in a lot of classes. There are still clubs in vet school and people still work. Not trying to bring you down or anything but it does take a lot of time. I spend about 10X more time (at least) on school than I did in undergrad. That said, I enjoy my classes more so that makes up for it.

Oh, and be prepared to only have vet school to talk about. Even when everyone goes out, all we talk about is vet school because we literally don't have anything else going on lol.

Love that!

Sometimes I really really wish I could go back to undergrad lol.

I know! I used to think I felt stressed in undergrad too, we all did because we all did the same things too (worked, took full loads of classes, were involved in lots of things, applied to get in and waited around for months...) but this is stress of a different kind.

It's definitely possible to have a life and still do well in vet school! I study a lot during the week, and not as much on the weekends (unless there is an exam Monday). Friday nights are usually a designated as a no-study night for me, haha. I think that after one semester already, I have a better grip of how things go and how to better manage my time.
As far as relationships go, I think it really depends on how your relationship is before school starts. I watched my 4-year relationship crumble during last semester. Not trying to be a downer or anything, because we did have problems before school began, and we had a lot of problems unrelated to school. But, not seeing each other as much surely didn't help.
That being said, I'm seeing someone now who is 100% supportive of me and understands that sometimes I need to lock myself away for a night to study, lol. I think just make sure that he knows you will have to spend a lot of time on school, but that doesn't mean you're going to suck! :)

In school people still have jobs, clubs, volunteering, and the GRE is just replaced with boards. It's all that stress, plus loans, plus worrying about not failing out, plus hoping your surgical knots held so your patient doesn't bleed out overnight ;)

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

We're not all crazy though. I'm a 3rd year and I'm still alive and kickin.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coming into school, I was the same way. Everything came easy; I studied on principle, but not because I needed to. I was usually the top of my class.

Vet school, along with other events in my life, definitely put things in a new perspective.

No longer was I top of my class, but hopefully barely middle. Even sometimes with total concentration of studying (I was at school for about 15 hours the other day), I can't absorb everything. Thankfully (I think) I adjusted to my new place in life and stressed out less. I'm going to know this information, but it doesn't necessarily mean I'll get an A...and I'm okay with that.

I feel like I've said it too many time at school, but I'll say it here:

There are three things that you need to come out of vet school with: knowledge, experience, and sanity. All three are equally important.

In school people still have jobs, clubs, volunteering, and the GRE is just replaced with boards. It's all that stress, plus loans, plus worrying about not failing out, plus hoping your surgical knots held so your patient doesn't bleed out overnight ;)

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

We're not all crazy though. I'm a 3rd year and I'm still alive and kickin.

You forgot about applying for jobs/internships/externships, figuring out Match, attending any extra requirements (we have diversity requirements), checking on patients at all hours just in case a suture slipped, attending seminars and conferences to network, completing research/thesis (at least for sme of us....)

I'd love to just have double the UG class schedule instead of triple!

Like someone else said, whether I have work/life balance depends on the week, my health, and what's happen in my home life. Today I missed class because I am sick and that terrifies me.

Not to be "that person", but that's what I thought too. I took 21-23 credits each semester, worked 15-20 hours weekly, was prez or an officer of multiple clubs, involved with a handful more, and was working on my thesis (and a new relationship during senior year). I was actually silly enough to think that vet school might even be less of a time-sucker than undergrad. For nearly all students, no matter how busy you are, I think you will find that you are very wrong.

The big difference to me is that you are in class from 8-4/5 just about every single day. You might have an hour for lunch but the rest is packed solid. There really aren't any more fluff courses (okay, we DO have a 1 credit behavior course this semester, but that still involves quizzes, a final, and a project) to fill out your schedule. After those long, very full days, most of us have to go home and study at least a little (< 1 hour) or a looooot (> 6 hours or an all-nighter) for most nights of the week. It's not that the material is waaaay harder than undergrad, but every class "counts" for something in your education (again, there's not much fluff) and there's so much material covered that simply keeping up with it, not necessarily understanding every detail, is critical.

Not only that, but commitment to other things outside of school is one of the awesome benefits (and dangers) of vet school. There are so many crazy, sweet things to see, do, and get involved with that you'll want to do them all! The hard thing is to take a step back and force yourself not to sign up for that wetlab or that meeting because a physiology exam is the next day. There was a falcon medicine wetlab last weekend that I badly wanted to attend...but I knew that I couldn't give up that much studying considering where I was in knowing the material. That being said, you will never be "bored" after school due to the number of clubs, activities, and educational enrichment opportunities available. Picking and choosing is the hardest part!

And of course, you meet some awesome people in vet school that you'll want to hang out with outside of class. Some nights, no matter what exams are the next day or next week, you'll get to have lots of fun with your classmates. I know that our class has routinely been dominating lots of trivia rounds at local bars, there have been several themed parties, and groups of us are always exercising together or going to movies or out to eat during down-time. You still WILL have time for these things! You just often can't be as spontaneous as in undergrad is all!

As far as relationships go, in our class we've had ones that have done really well this year and ones that have fallen apart. Vet school is not a blanket relationship death sentence - it depends on the state of a given relationship and the people involved. I've been with my guy for over two years and we've been long-distance since May 2009. NO problems for us! We're very fortunate because he has a job that has him travel every week, so he doesn't have much of an issue coming down here for a weekend instead of going home. He can even work from my place on a Friday and his company will pay for his travel. As soon as I get my syllabi in the beginning of the semester, I'll write all my exams and such into my planner and pick out weekends where the following week isn't loaded down with tons of work (since in those cases I'll need the previous weekend to study). Those "free" weekends often turn into our visiting weekends, and we've been able to see each other once every 2-3 weeks with us splitting the travelling duties.

It's a two-way street. You need to force yourself to make time for your significant other. They support and care for you, and as tough as it might be to put away your anatomy book one weekend, you need to carve out time for them. To me, making an A on exam and ignoring them is not as awesome as making a B and having a night to spend with your guy/girl. The best is when you can do both! ;) And they need to understand that you will be stressed, that your time to spend with them will likely be less, and that you still love and appreciate their support. Good communication, a solid foundation, and some specific date nights all go a long way. Like I said, relationships can get stronger (even the LDRs) and they can fall apart. It's all what you put into it. Mine is great - I have an amazing guy who fully supports this choice. Long distance is hardly a stress and we talk every night to bridge the gap. You can make it work!

I'm having the slightly opposite experience when it comes to school/life balance between undergrad and vet school. I was definitely a lot more stressed and had to work much harder during undergrad. I usually had classes jam packed from 8:30 am till 4 or 5 pm everyday (with 2 half days a week), so that's not all that different from vet school. This semester is 8 am - 3 or 4 pm mon-thurs. I'd say that at least so far, vet school is a lot more rote memorization :)barf:) which I struggle with, but I think I learned so much more from my undergrad courses than I do in my vet school courses. In terms of the breadth and depth of understanding necessary to do well on an exam in a given course, I needed to know so much more for my UG exams than my vet school exams. And the prob with UG, was that there was this eternal hell of unrelenting assignments every week on top of all of that studying for exams. We really don't have too many assignments in vet school, and when we do, it's more to just make sure that students understand important concepts so they're not very hard. I've been getting higher grades in vet school than I thought was ever possible during UG, and I'm definitely studying much less.

Sooo, my school/life balance is much better now! I can take care of basic needs everyday, like personal hygiene and food and sleep (sounds sad doesn't it). But wait, there's more! I watch at least 5 hrs of TV a week, hang out with friends at least once or twice a week, work an absolute minimum of 16 hrs/week, AND volunteer 8 hrs on the weekend. oh yeah... and maintaining that long distance relationship is a time sink too sometimes. And I skype with my family an average of 30-45 min a day. I guess I could forgo these things and study harder and try to get the highest grades possible. But what's the point? I'm 90% sure I'm going into private practice after graduation.

You can always tell how much I study in vet school, because study time = posting on sdn time. That's why my posts come up a few days a week, nonstop for a few hours :laugh:. There's an inverse correlation between the lengths of my posts and my enjoyment of the subject at hand.

Confession: sometimes I wonder if I'm not "Type A" enough for vet school. :oops:

On my first school visit, the students kept reassuring us that we were not going to be able to maintain ridiculously high GPAs while in vet school, and that, while this would probably be very difficult for us initially, it was okay and we would eventually come to accept it.

I think I was the only person in attendance that wasn't worried. At all. Or considering the possibility of spending my summer cramming for anatomy.

Confession: sometimes I wonder if I'm not "Type A" enough for vet school. :oops:

On my first school visit, the students kept reassuring us that we were not going to be able to maintain ridiculously high GPAs while in vet school, and that, while this would probably be very difficult for us initially, it was okay and we would eventually come to accept it.

I think I was the only person in attendance that wasn't worried. At all. Or considering the possibility of spending my summer cramming for anatomy.

Haha, no you'll be fine. You'll just feel out of place sometimes.

I have what I like to call a "Type B minus personality." My vet school GPA would probably make some of my classmates sprial into despair and self-loathing, but I'm pretty happy.

I actually have to force myself to study more once I know I've learned enough to get a C. Sometimes I'm not successful at this. :laugh:

I have a type A personality, but not when it comes to lecture based courses. Also, coming from a school where 4.0's were the extreme exception rather than the norm (sorry, I know it upsets some folks when I say that, but the students from the state school admit that getting a 4.0 GPA was both possible and expected from applicants in thier major) meant that lower grades didn't bother me as much as it did some others. I still get angry about absurd questions and minutia (seriously, if the clinical signs, history, and diagnostics don't fit with the top 4-5 causes, I'm going to look it up.....I won't remember back to first or second year vet school for the 9th or 10th cause.) I do get frustrated with text anxiety (my grades are in the high 90's for short answer, essay, but in the high 70's for multiple choice) but the reality is putting the info together is more important than any one exam or class grade.

Haha, no you'll be fine. You'll just feel out of place sometimes.

I have what I like to call a "Type B minus personality." My vet school GPA would probably make some of my classmates sprial into despair and self-loathing, but I'm pretty happy.

I actually have to force myself to study more once I know I've learned enough to get a C. Sometimes I'm not successful at this. :laugh:

I am very similar. I study enough to pass, and study until I understand ALL of the material IF I have enough time after that. I don't skip out on life just because I'm in school, and I don't let grades bother me too much. The only time it every drives me batty is if I get a much lower grade compared to the amount of studying I feel that I put in.

I thought that too, coming out of a graduate degree where I was pulled in about 25 different directions on a day to day basis, and having done research, worked as a TA and weekends at a vet clinic as an undergrad while taking overloaded semesters of upper division science courses.

I was wrong, at least in my case. While sometimes it is nice to know exactly what is expected of you and when, it's still a lot more time consuming than the million things I did in undergrad and grad school. And as others said there are definitely all kinds of extracurricular (vet related and non) temptations and distractions and such that you'll want to get involved in.

CT: I'm also not a type A about grades in the least bit. There are a few of us out here!

Last edited:
Something I find with vet school is that the pace/minutia of material is problematic, and by the time I get home (and wash the pig/chicken/cow/lab dog/ferret/etc) off me and eat dinner, I just am not so enamored with the idea of studying. I still do, but I don't have the enthusiasm I did in undergrad.

I must say, though, I am horrible at memorization. I do great on concepts (and my classmates often ask me about linking material together from various classes) but ask me for all 9 causes of macrocytic cells, or the 10th possible cause of non-regenerative anemia, and I'm clueless. I can give you 5-6 and that's my limit....any more than that and its pretty rare and I'm gong to look it up when I'm in practice because, by then, the treatment will have changed anyways. Doesn't help that I am tragic at multiple choice tests (I never once, in UG, did a scan tron.)

One of the hardest things for me was dealing with changes in names in the past decade. I will be really bewildered until a professors says 'oh, we use to call these X' or 'we use to think this receptor did this, but now we know that isn't accurate/doesn't exist.'

So what I'm hearing from you guys is that a lot of the material is memorization. I guess that makes me lucky, because I am one of those people who memorize things very easily. Hopefully that continues to be the case in vet school!

Still so excited! :D

Thank you all again for the responses. I really do appreciate it!

You're not going to get very far on memorization alone - you definitely need to put a lot of effort into understanding what's going on too, and how everything fits together. I don't think anything is really conceptually difficult (although a lot of people who aren't used to thinking in terms of quantitative relationships and such seem to have a bit of difficulty with cardiovascular and respiratory physiology etc, and it takes practice to be able to think on a molecular level), but it is a lot to understand and put together, and IMO you'll do better in later courses (and in actual medicine) if you actually understand it rather than memorizing.

A friend of mine in 3rd year said that a lot of her classmates were pretty shell-shocked when they got to the Medicine courses and things were no longer presented to them in the same way - all of a sudden they are expected to be able to really analyze a problem and synthesize an answer rather than having been given the answer somewhere already.

You're not going to get very far on memorization alone - you definitely need to put a lot of effort into understanding what's going on too, and how everything fits together. .

Oh, I didn't mean it to come off that way. I do not expect to get by on memorization alone. I would not have done so well in undergrad or in research if I had limited ability to understand and integrate concepts. Sorry if I came off a little naive! I don't believe I'll be taking a stroll down easy street. Just happy to hear that maybe I won't have as hard of a time in some courses, like anatomy. Vet school will probably be one of the hardest things I've ever taken on, but I think it will be more than worth it.

I realize I'm attempting to resurrect a slightly stale thread here, but are there any vet students out there who required relatively large amounts of sleep (7-9 hours) in undergrad in order to function and are still...surviving? Does sleep fit in to the vet school schedule, or do you end up forcing your body to subsist on much much less sleep?

I realize I'm attempting to resurrect a slightly stale thread here, but are there any vet students out there who required relatively large amounts of sleep (7-9 hours) in undergrad in order to function and are still...surviving? Does sleep fit in to the vet school schedule, or do you end up forcing your body to subsist on much much less sleep?

I'm not a vet student, but this semester that your body can easily adapt to a routine that includes less sleep than it's used to. Prior to the start of this semester, I enjoyed a good 8-10 (sometimes more) of sleep every night. With classes that start at 6am (with the campus being 1 hour away) and lack of time to study in the day, I find myself going to sleep after 2am study sessions. Even then, I rarely sleep because I get pre-test jitters, which are almost every day thanks to the labs.

If my body can get used to not sleeping much, you'll be fine. I just sneak in as many naps during the day as possible. I try to plan at least an hour-long nap in each study session. It's scientifically proven that sleep helps the material sink in better so I consider the naps as study enhancements. :laugh:

And remember that the way your body works makes it possible to "catch up" on sleep that you have missed throughout the week. I'm not sure how weekend schedules work at vet school but I'm sure you'll find one day every week that will be slow enough to give you time to catch some z's.

I rarely got less than 7 hours of sleep (except before exams). It's a matter of priority and effectiveness. I almost never pull an all-nighter because I stop learning when I get too tired, so it just wasn't worthwhile for me (although I did pick up the habit of waking up early day of exams and cramming before sunrise --surprisingly effective).

It took me a while to figure out how to juggle all the balls, but I eventually got there.

Last edited:
Naps probably saved my life this past year! I usually got 5-6 hrs/night normally and probably 4 or less the night before a big test. Just depends on you. I learn better at night (I think) so that's what worked for me. I think you will find out what works best for you once you start.

During the school year, I probably sleep an average of 9-10 hrs/day. If it's a week with lots of exams, I may get a few nights of only 5 hrs or so but I make it up by sleeping like 14 another day. Or like 20 hrs on Friday nights. Sucks to have sleeping disorders.

On top of that, I probably slept at least a good 2 hrs during lectures everyday :laugh:. I call it osmotic learning.

Like everything else, sleep is something you need to balance. Three of my classmates who I'm close with say that if they study throughout the week, they don't need to cut down on sleep.

Personally, I have both chronic anxiety insomnia and sleep apnea. I have to keep a very, very regular schedule or I end up with no sleep. I think I managed 5-7 hours every (non-test) night. And I've never pulled an all nighter.

life? what life? :)
I took 69 credits this year. In undergrad you generally take 30 per year. So that's more than doubling undergrad courseload and it's all really hard classes. I did undergrad full time and worked 20 hours a week at a demanding job and vet school can't even compare with how stressful it is.

Sleep is something that worries me quite a bit. I sleep 9.5 hours a night pretty regularly . I don't/can't sleep more than 10.5, tho. During my last semester of undergrad, I pretty much lived off of caffeine/energy drinks to allow myself to sleep 6 hours a night and it was HARD. I also struggle a lot with lethargy during the winter so combining that with lack of sleep is just awful. I'll have no option but to adjust. It does worry me. Hopefully, I'll figure out a way to make it a priority.

Sleep is something that worries me quite a bit. I sleep 9.5 hours a night pretty regularly . I don't/can't sleep more than 10.5, tho. During my last semester of undergrad, I pretty much lived off of caffeine/energy drinks to allow myself to sleep 6 hours a night and it was HARD. I also struggle a lot with lethargy during the winter so combining that with lack of sleep is just awful. I'll have no option but to adjust. It does worry me. Hopefully, I'll figure out a way to make it a priority.

I'm very similar (although I CAN and do sleep much longer than 10.5 if I can, haha) in that I need at least 9 hours to feel rested. I know this about myself like the back of my hand, so I think as long as I stick to a schedule of studying in a manner that can get me to bed by 10:00 or 10:30 (for class at 8) or so I should be ok.

Edit: Wait, I think I did the math wrong. Maybe I will have to get by on 8 hours, unless I want to feel like a senior citizen...grrr

heylodeb, that sounds a lot like me (though in winter months, I'll sleep 11+ hrs/day for weeks on end due to SAD). it's not too bad. i mean, it sucks to be lethargic and tired... but you do just sit on your ***** for many many hours of every day. worst that can happen is that you're not paying attention to some of the more boring lecture. studying while tired sucks too, but that can easily be alleviated if you're good at taking strategic naps. i'm sure you'll get through just fine.

if anything, get in contact with a counselor or disabilities person early on in the year and warn them in advance. that way, you know that they can advocate for you should you dwindle a bit in the winter. you probably won't need it, but it's good to know that there might be a buffer.

I like the 2nd half of the 1st year fall semester here - phys goes to two hours MW instead of one hour MTWR, so TR are sleeping in days. I do okay with recharge days in between, not that I usually get that option.

I'm very similar (although I CAN and do sleep much longer than 10.5 if I can, haha) in that I need at least 9 hours to feel rested. I know this about myself like the back of my hand, so I think as long as I stick to a schedule of studying in a manner that can get me to bed by 10:00 or 10:30 (for class at 8) or so I should be ok.

Edit: Wait, I think I did the math wrong. Maybe I will have to get by on 8 hours, unless I want to feel like a senior citizen...grrr

I got pretty consistent >8 hours of sleep except during finals. Some people didn't; I think it depends on if you prioritize sleep versus having a horse versus a lot of socializing. You will have time for a few things that are really important to you - just not time for everything you are used to having time for.

Oh thank goodness, I was so worried about failing out because I wasn't getting enough sleep to function. StartingoverVet, Minnerbelle, and bunnity: You guys just took a ton of weight off my shoulders! Thank you thank you thank you! :-D

You will have time for a few things that are really important to you - just not time for everything you are used to having time for.

I think this is the key point with all things you can ask about if you have time for in vet school.

The point where outside interests/activities start to affect your schoolwork negatively is going to be different for everyone so there's no real way to tell somebody that you will or won't have time for this or that. It also depends on your school's schedule and how much you need to study to accomplish what grades you want to get, etc.

This whole sleeping issue is probably what is worrying me most about vet school - even if I get a good night's sleep, I just can't stay awake! It is rare for me to be able to stay awake for more than 20 minutes in a lecture, and I have fallen asleep while driving, talking to my mentor, and even standing up in the barn at my last summer job! I have no idea how I made it through undergrad and all of my friends were pretty shocked that my marks weren't significantly lower as I basically slept the whole time....so ya, is it possible to do well in vet school if you aren't able to stay awake in lectures? Or am I just screwed?:scared:

I was most worried about this too - I've come to terms with having way less of a life, and occasional nights cramming are OK, but in general I like my sleep way too much :)

Kylana - you might want to get tested for narcolepsy... as that sounds like you have a sleeping disorder. There are many different varying degrees of it and you could very well have it. My sister has narcolepsy and takes medicine for it - it definitely has helped her function in everyday life and stay awake!

Kylana - you might want to get tested for narcolepsy... as that sounds like you have a sleeping disorder. There are many different varying degrees of it and you could very well have it. My sister has narcolepsy and takes medicine for it - it definitely has helped her function in everyday life and stay awake!

Sleep Apnea will do that too because your body is so run down from not getting proper sleep that it shuts down any chance it gets. My mom used to fall asleep at stoplights while driving or standing in line at the grocery store.

As far as boyfriends go, I am in a long distance relationship going on 5 years. We did it all through undergrad and I was twice as far away as I am now. It's tough sometimes, because it seems like he is busy when I'm not, and I am when he's not. It was more difficult last semester because he had to get used to me being so busy (like you said above, I didn't have a social life in undergrad either, so it's a change). He also had trouble thinking of vet school as a job for me and couldnt understand why I didn't have an hour to talk on nights before a test when I was so stressed out all I wanted to do was study! But weve worked it out. As long as they understand you enough to know youre under a tremendous amount of stress, because no one will truly know what this is like except the people who have/are experiencing it!

LOLOLOLOLOL @ this. I must apologize for having written such half-witted nonsense. Cancel that thought, boyfriends are about as useful as teats on a bore hog. Proceed with caution.

LOLOLOLOLOL @ this. I must apologize for having written such half-witted nonsense. Cancel that thought, boyfriends are about as useful as teats on a bore hog. Proceed with caution.

Actually we learned in our large animal class that teats on the bore hog are important indicators for whether their offspring will be able to nurse well. So, see, boyfriends may APPARENTLY be useless, but, in fact, can be quite important. :p

And for what it is worth, I learned that the problem is often not the SO but the vet student. You have to come to grips with the fact that life can not be 100% vet school all the time, and to learn to make time for the other things in life. And especially to learn that the next exam or whatever is not nearly as important as it feels to you at the time. Once I studied that lesson, life was much easier - not to mention my grades improved.

Last edited:
I couldn't stay awake ever and slept 10 hours a night if I was allowed, and it turns out it was hypothyroidism. *shrug* I'm still sleepy, but I can wake up happy after 8 hours and get through class now, which is a huge quality of life improvement.

Go to the doctor. It can't hurt.

And for what it is worth, I learned that the problem is often not the SO but the vet student. You have to come to grips with the fact that life can not be 100% vet school all the time, and to learn to make time for the other things in life.

He went through my facebook messages twice in a year, and accused me of cheating 3 times. Vet school was but a mild annoyance.

And some boys are great. The right ones.