Veteran Scholarships Besides Post 9/11 and HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WIinNC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I thought I'd ask this here since there aren't too many veterans applying to dental school. I am an active duty Sgt in the Marine Corps who will be getting out in May (honorably). I have no interest in going active duty after dental school, so I'm not applying to HPSP. The VA Post 9/11 GI Bill is an amazing benefit for Grad/Prof school and I am very grateful that I will be able to use that with the Yellow Ribbon program. However, I will be attending a private dental school and am looking at another 100-150k in tuition/COL to cover. Besides the Pat Tillman scholarship (which I will apply to when the application window opens up), are there any other non-state specific Grad/Prof scholarships for veterans out there that I might have missed? Most of the military themed scholarships I've found so far seem to be for dependents or have restrictions to undergrad-only.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I thought I'd ask this here since there aren't too many veterans applying to dental school. I am an active duty Sgt in the Marine Corps who will be getting out in May (honorably). I have no interest in going active duty after dental school, so I'm not applying to HPSP. The VA Post 9/11 GI Bill is an amazing benefit for Grad/Prof school and I am very grateful that I will be able to use that with the Yellow Ribbon program. However, I will be attending a private dental school and am looking at another 100-150k in tuition/COL to cover. Besides the Pat Tillman scholarship (which I will apply to when the application window opens up), are there any other non-state specific Grad/Prof scholarships for veterans out there that I might have missed? Most of the military themed scholarships I've found so far seem to be for dependents or have restrictions to undergrad-only.

I am applying this year as well, may I ask why u are not interesting in public school? The Post 9-11 gi bill pays for 100 % in startle tuitions and fees. I will be using that for my dental school and save the loan. Just wondering u want to apply to private instead.

Dont forget to check your eligibility for Pell grants and state grants. You will need to get with your schools Financial Aid office to file for a special conditions form to take your current earnings into account and not your active duty earnings. I get $10k in grants each year, so if you live in a military friendly state they can help out.

I am applying this year as well, may I ask why u are not interesting in public school? The Post 9-11 gi bill pays for 100 % in startle tuitions and fees. I will be using that for my dental school and save the loan. Just wondering u want to apply to private instead.

It's been a while since I logged on to SDN. I applied last cycle. I didn't even have the option because I don't have an in state public school and I didn't get in to a state school where I could apply for in state tuition after one or two years.