Veterans Affairs hospital SF (RATHER SUPRISED & DISAPOINTED)

Dec 24, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am working at the VA SF hospital as an RT, new hire for the past few weeks.
i have been looking and waiting to meet a D.O while doing rounds and on my breaks and lunch times in order to introduce myself and possible shadow on my day off.
THERE ARE NO D.O'S. theres a million UCSF residents who are all MD's or pharmacy students.
This huge hospital even has a podiatry department but i have still to meet a D.O.
I was considering just going to the affliate facility UCSF moffet hospital in order to get some shadowing hours and possibly a few letters.
Im just disapointed and suprised, i mean it is a government hospital after all. they do have some of the best technology and great doctors. The MD's here are very freindly and i am glad its a teaching institution for i do have many questions regarding the different aspects of medicine. They are very open and welcome discussion and questions.
however my primary concern is shadowing a D.O, i have already shadowed a ton of MD's. For D.O school thats not relevant even though it looks good.
That would be like applying to podiatry school and having a naturpathic doctors shadowing hours and letter.
:confused:
suggestions?

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i have been looking and waiting to meet a D.O while doing rounds and on my breaks and lunch times in order to introduce myself and possible shadow on my day off.
THERE ARE NO D.O'S. theres a million UCSF residents who are all MD's or pharmacy students.
This huge hospital even has a podiatry department but i have still to meet a D.O.
I was considering just going to the affliate facility UCSF moffet hospital in order to get some shadowing hours and possibly a few letters.
Im just disapointed and suprised, i mean it is a government hospital after all. they do have some of the best technology and great doctors. The MD's here are very freindly and i am glad its a teaching institution for i do have many questions regarding the different aspects of medicine. They are very open and welcome discussion and questions.
however my primary concern is shadowing a D.O, i have already shadowed a ton of MD's. For D.O school thats not relevant even though it looks good.
That would be like applying to podiatry school and having a naturpathic doctors shadowing hours and letter.
suggestions?

Well, I suggest you find a DO to shadow. There's a tool to find them on the AACOM website.

The prevalence of DOs will vary according to region and institution. There are few DOs relative to MDs in the country (although they are increasing in number every year).

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
suggestions?

It's probably because that VA has been attached to UCSF- a very competitive ACGME program. That means most of the docs there are going to have come from UCSF which takes almost exclusively MDs. Why not contact some docs at a local hospital?

look at the AACOM website like others have said.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads