Veterinary School Cost of Education Differences Between AAVMC and VIN Foundation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolkorbin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be large differences between the numbers for the cost of education from the AAVMC and the VIN Foundation. I was wondering why and which one was more accurate? I always relied on the VIN foundation one. The VIN foundation one also has a school I applied to that the AAVMC one doesn't even though it is fully accredited. The AAVMC one didn't come out until more recently. Here are links to both: VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map
Exploring the Cost of a Veterinary Medical Education

Members don't see this ad.

There seems to be large differences between the numbers for the cost of education from the AAVMC and the VIN Foundation. I was wondering why and which one was more accurate? I always relied on the VIN foundation one. The VIN foundation one also has a school I applied to that the AAVMC one doesn't even though it is fully accredited. The AAVMC one didn't come out until more recently. Here are links to both: VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map
Exploring the Cost of a Veterinary Medical Education
It looks like the VIN map may be a little more up to date since it has 2017-18 data, whereas the AAVMC map says it includes total tuition charged to the class of 2016. The VIN map also accounts for anticipated tuition increases and inflation for living costs, which it doesn't look like the AAVMC map does (it just says "users should anticipate continued escalations in the cost of education" in the fine print). Which school(s) are you looking at specifically?

Reactions: 1 users
It looks like the VIN map may be a little more up to date since it has 2017-18 data, whereas the AAVMC map says it includes total tuition charged to the class of 2016. The VIN map also accounts for anticipated tuition increases and inflation for living costs, which it doesn't look like the AAVMC map does (it just says "users should anticipate continued escalations in the cost of education" in the fine print). Which school(s) are you looking at specifically?
IIRC I think the VIN one also takes into account schools that let you change residency after the first year and I think they automatically include that in their calculation?

Members don't see this ad :)
The Schools I am looking at specifically are the ones that are still in play for me which of course can change at any time now. They are in alphabetical order: Iowa State University, Kansas State University, Ohio State University, Ross University (accepted), University of Georgia, University of the Guelph, and University of Wisconsin.

The Schools I am looking at specifically are the ones that are still in play for me which of course can change at any time now. They are in alphabetical order: Iowa State University, Kansas State University, Ohio State University, Ross University (accepted), University of Georgia, University of the Guelph, and University of Wisconsin.
If you want any more information about K-State feel free to PM me, I'm a current second year! But I think the numbers on our website and on VIN are pretty accurate. Veterinary Medicine Students | Tuition and Costs | Student Financial Assistance | Kansas State University If you click the "international costs" tab on AAVMC, they have numbers for Ross, but not Guelph for some reason.

I was wondering why and which one was more accurate? I always relied on the VIN foundation one.

Thanks for exploring the VIN Foundation Cost of Education map and AAVMC Cost Comparison Tool as part of your application process -- definitely a crucial part of the process if you're borrowing to fund your veterinary education :)

The VIN Foundation Cost of Education map uses the published cost of attendance information for those entering veterinary school this past fall, 2017. We then project the remaining costs for those folks starting their education fall of 2017 based on the most recent four years of tuition and cost of living rate increase data we have for each school. Thus the VIN Foundation map estimates what a 2021 veterinary graduate might pay for their veterinary education depending on the school they attend, their residency status and borrowing needs.

The AAVMC tool publishes the cost data for those who have graduated in 2017 (I believe their map was recently updated from the 2016 data earlier referenced). Those 2017 veterinary graduates started their education in 2013.

So both tools are accurate. The VIN Foundation map attempts to project future costs for those starting vet school now and the AAVMC map reflects the costs incurred by those who have recently graduated. Both are extremely valuable resources for helping you select the school that makes the most sense for you!

Keep researching and keep asking questions :)

Reactions: 2 users