[Video] Redefining the surgical lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KinasePro

Das it mane
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are some interesting perspectives from academic and private practice surgeons who generally agree that these days the surgical lifestyle is only as bad as you make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz78BDgyZHo

What they say runs pretty counter to a lot of SDN dogma, and I gotta admit that I'm skeptical that their lifestyles are as rosy as they describe. Still, it's nice to see the surgical community working on its image and trying to quell some of the rumors about their profession. Are these docs the exception, or are they the rule?

Members don't see this ad.

What they describe as "lots of time to be with my family" is not the same as what someone who is used to every weekend/night/holiday off thinks of as "lots of time off to be with my family."

You can also work 70 hours a week (12 hours a day, 6 days a week) and still be home by 6-7pm every night...but it's still pretty long hours.

Here are some interesting perspectives from academic and private practice surgeons who generally agree that these days the surgical lifestyle is only as bad as you make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz78BDgyZHo

What they say runs pretty counter to a lot of SDN dogma, and I gotta admit that I'm skeptical that their lifestyles are as rosy as they describe. Still, it's nice to see the surgical community working on its image and trying to quell some of the rumors about their profession. Are these docs the exception, or are they the rule?

Most surgeons still currently work 60 hours per week on average...that is alot.

Even an extra 10 or 15 hours a week off is essentially an extra full day.

You can work part time in any specialty...but you are going to experience a pay cut too.

Members don't see this ad :)
What they describe as "lots of time to be with my family" is not the same as what someone who is used to every weekend/night/holiday off thinks of as "lots of time off to be with my family."

You can also work 70 hours a week (12 hours a day, 6 days a week) and still be home by 6-7pm every night...but it's still pretty long hours.

Yeah, that was sort of my suspicion when watching the video.

Also, I imagine there's a period of time after you start practice where you don't really have the option of flexibility. You're probably not going to join a practice, and start out with Q14 call with a 50 hr work week. At least from what I've read on SDN, you'll have to "pay your dues" with long hours for a while before you can really make your own schedule.

But if that's all true, this video is pretty misleading.

Last edited:
Most professionals work 60 hrs a week.

QFT

Don't know whether you guys heard, but in Europe they introduced a law saying that you can't work more than 48 hours a week. You have to 'optionally' sign a waiver working up to 54 but the reality is my last house officer/intern was pulling 60 hours a week excluding on calls...at the end of the day, it's unfortunate but the buck has to stop somewhere

QFT

Don't know whether you guys heard, but in Europe they introduced a law saying that you can't work more than 48 hours a week. You have to 'optionally' sign a waiver working up to 54 but the reality is my last house officer/intern was pulling 60 hours a week excluding on calls...at the end of the day, it's unfortunate but the buck has to stop somewhere

60 hours? Do you stop working wednesday afternoon?

I just wasted tons of time watching those REDEFINING SURGERY videos. Some of them are pretty good. Anyone know what group is putting out these videos?

60 hours? Do you stop working wednesday afternoon?

Actually, med students here get Wednesday afternoons off, regardless of placement or rotation to go play 'sports' ;)

The base hours of an intern here are 9-5, but most rotations are 'banded' at an extra 50% pay for 'unsociable' hours that includes working the occasional weekend and doing one 9AM-10PM a week.

Living the dream!!

Last edited:
Actually, med students here get Wednesday afternoons off, regardless of placement or rotation to go play 'sports' ;)

The base hours of an intern here are 9-5, but most rotations are 'banded' at an extra 50% of pay for 'unsociable' hours that includes working the occasional weekend and doing one 9AM-10PM a week.

Living the dream!!

I will admit, I envy your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wasted tons of time watching those REDEFINING SURGERY videos. Some of them are pretty good. Anyone know what group is putting out these videos?
You're thinking about it now! Come on...you know you want to cut :smuggrin:

Do you really?

You know you could've gone to med school in the EU right?

The only thing stopping me is friends, family, citizenship, resources, connections, familiarity, sports, pre-requisites, and already being enrolled in medical school.

The only thing stopping me is friends, family, citizenship, resources, connections, familiarity, sports, pre-requisites, and already being enrolled in medical school.
Ever tried English cuisine? And warm beer...no thank you :mad:

Ever tried English cuisine? And warm beer...no thank you :mad:

Surprisingly, we do have chilled beers too! Tryed some of the 'lite' lagers last time I was in the US. Was certainly an...experience :laugh:

Surprisingly, we do have chilled beers too! Tryed some of the 'lite' lagers last time I was in the US. Was certainly an...experience :laugh:

I don't know why but I laughed the first time I saw guiness extra cold on tap in England.

What's so great about 6:55? It's the transition point.
Exactly. The transition from the divorced workaholic to only having to work 30 hrs a week, making the same amt, and attend all of junior's tee-ball games. The future is bright.

One of the surgeons brags about being home in time to tuck his kids in every night. That's not exactly a lot of awake time spent with the family.

we also don't have 8 years of residency

True, that is a bit of a pain. But, we don't have to do a four year college degree before. So I guess the times equal out.

Who knows where I'll settle eventually. But, graduating at the grand old age of barely 23 I've got a few years to travel around, learn some different ways of doing medicine and hopefully having a good time in the process.

I'm one of those damned fortunate IMGs that if everything goes pear shaped, I can always come back to the UK and have a decent career of here. Grateful for that.

True, that is a bit of a pain. But, we don't have to do a four year college degree before. So I guess the times equal out.

Who knows where I'll settle eventually. But, graduating at the grand old age of barely 23 I've got a few years to travel around, learn some different ways of doing medicine and hopefully having a good time in the process.

I'm one of those damned fortunate IMGs that if everything goes pear shaped, I can always come back to the UK and have a decent career of here. Grateful for that.

how's your pay rate? can you make $300K-400K (not at all unrealisitic for gen surg) first year out? I wish to investigate these financial oppurtunities.

What's so great about 6:55? It's the transition point.

The son doesn't think his father spent enough time with him. His father thinks differently.

Which matters more to the son, what the son thinks or what the father thinks?

And in the end the son is repeating the cycle by going into medicine. :laugh:

The son doesn't think his father spent enough time with him. His father thinks differently.

Raising kids is an enigma to me. You see that story and the kid becomes a surgeon. Then you see someone actually have a "normal" job and spend tons of time with their kid, trying to be a great dad, and the kid ends up doing drugs and homeless. I am not sure this parenting thing.....

Didn't he say that his kid said he didn't mean it? He was probably being a moody teenager. I said the same thing about my dad (engineer) when I was younger, and he got home at 5:30-6:00pm every work day, rarely worked weekends, and was highly involved in my life (baseball/soccer coach, helped with scouts, etc).

Very interesting video. I agree once you are out of residency, it is what you make of it. Sometimes, I wonder why the academic surgeons at my institution are still doing what they do - they are there crazy hours and it seems like they never leave the hospital.