Videogames and Academic Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gavanshir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
School and videogames, is it possible to have both? How do you balance it? I'm just FIENDING for videogames lately and I'm thinking about buying back my ps2.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I burn off a lot of my frustrations with a submarine game for my computer called Silent Hunter III. I have it on my laptop and I've played it in class before (and I managed an A in that class by the way).

Praetorian said:
Personally I burn off a lot of my frustrations with a submarine game for my computer called Silent Hunter III. I have it on my laptop and I've played it in class before (and I managed an A in that class by the way).
Ha...I've played Age of Empires 3 before in class. Fun times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gavanshir said:
School and videogames, is it possible to have both? How do you balance it? I'm just FIENDING for videogames lately and I'm thinking about buying back my ps2.

Yes you can do it if you have self control. I dont so I had to deactivate my WOW account during the semester, but I did end up playing quite a lot of less time consuming games. The thing about WOW is that it takes a solid block of 4+ hours to get anything done which is hard to do evry day during the semester.

if you're looking for a good reason not to quit: video games improve dexterity and if you're into surgery you'll have an excuse to play them the rest of your life!

I don't have much self-control. At least I didn't when I was in highschool. I was addicted to Counter-Strike and ended up having a major family/school crisis because of it and finally got rid of all the gaming capabilities of my computer and sold my ps2. I havn't played videogames for about 2 years now..I'm just wondering if it's possible...I guess I should have asked for GPA scores along side videogame habits from posters.

Gavanshir said:
I don't have much self-control. At least I didn't when I was in highschool. I was addicted to Counter-Strike and ended up having a major family/school crisis because of it and finally got rid of all the gaming capabilities of my computer and sold my ps2. I havn't played videogames for about 2 years now..I'm just wondering if it's possible...I guess I should have asked for GPA scores along side videogame habits from posters.
Dude, you're like an alcoholic but with video games! Don't get a PS2. They cause you problems. There's more to life than video games. If you want to waste time go ho yourself out. At least that way you'll have more fun.
PS, I'm like a chocoholic but for booze.

Heh.

Overall GPA: 3.81, BCPM: 3.89.

I pretty much don't play MMORPGs during the school year (oh, CoH, how I miss you!), but I substitute with less demanding games. Recently I've become addicted to those point-and-click "escape the room" games.

It's certainly possible to be a gamer and do well in school, but it does require some self-discipline. I reward myself for studying, doing well on tests, etc., with gaming time.

I've experienced life, and now I miss all that joyous fun I used to have with videogames. I have such great memories and I miss all of them so much now!! Playing and completing Metal Gear Solid was one of the most gratifying experiences of my life, and I learned so much martials arts from Tekken 3. The memories are endless.

Too bad the Final Fantasy series went to crap after X.

Come to think of it, VIII was pretty terrible as well.

VI was by far the best.

"I'm a general, not some opera floozie!"

Gavanshir said:

NOOO BUY THE PS3 thats coming out soon! :D

Gavanshir said:

I was also a **** up in highschool in large part due to gaming (and also apathy). I do regret those days of slacking so hard, but I think the paranoia of screwing up my academics due to gaming again has allowed me the self control I need to limit myself most of the time. Its likely that my grades would in fact be a little better in college if I didnt play games at all, but my life would also be much more boring. I have managed to keep fairly strong academics in college though and will likely graduate summa cum laude. So it is in fact possible to do both unless you just have absolutely no self control at all.

I play first person shooters all the time to relieve any stress I may have. I'm an avid counter-striker, usually play a bit while studying for tests or before class.

Members don't see this ad :)
zero2hero said:
I play first person shooters all the time to relieve any stress I may have. I'm an avid counter-striker, usually play a bit while studying for tests or before class.

You are insanse. Your post alone gave me horrible flash-backs of high school. I damn CS and specially IRC. I've seen so many lives ruined by CS. I have friends who started playing at the same time as me and they are still addicted to it, they've dropped out of school and play competitively.

Gavanshir said:
I've experienced life, and now I miss all that joyous fun I used to have with videogames. I have such great memories and I miss all of them so much now!! Playing and completing Metal Gear Solid was one of the most gratifying experiences of my life, and I learned so much martials arts from Tekken 3. The memories are endless.
Metal Gear Solid is my favorite game of all time. The first one, at least...I loved how many hidden stuff there was. The second one was pretty lame, and I'm still in the process of beating the third one. But so you know, I have a friend who's an MSTP at NYU and he says he has plenty of time for HALO, so I don't think you should have a problem making some time to play.

Gavanshir said:
You are insanse. Your post alone gave me horrible flash-backs of high school. I damn CS and specially IRC. I've seen so many lives ruined by CS. I have friends who started playing at the same time as me and they are still addicted to it, they've dropped out of school and play competitively.

I have a friend that dropped out of college and now lives at various places around the country with his clan mates together in small apartments. He pays his bills with his poker winings and the money he earns vrom counterstrike tournaments and teaching counterstrike lessons. HE IS HARDCORE.

Hah yea. I've seen some of those MTV real life shows, "I'm a professional gamer". Its surprising to find out how much money you can win from playing a game. Hah speaking of CS ruining lives, my suitemate was addicted back in freshman year, he almost failed 2nd semester. I feel a game like CS is a quick fix rather than playing a 70 hr RPG thats so time consuming.

this is such a ridiculous topic, if you want to play video games then play a little, and then study when you need to study, if you cant find balance and figure this out on your own without sdn then i doubt you could handle all the future decisions needed to be made as an MD, again i am amazed at the ridiculousness of members of this forum

MEG@COOL said:
I have a friend that dropped out of college and now lives at various places around the country with his clan mates together in small apartments. He pays his bills with his poker winings and the money he earns vrom counterstrike tournaments and teaching counterstrike lessons. HE IS HARDCORE.
Wow man, that is nuts.

Gavanshir said:

This is really funny considering I just played drunken Dance Dance Revolution for about 6 hours instead of studying for finals. Eh, at least I got a good workout. No regrets :)

lobster M.D. said:
this is such a ridiculous topic, if you want to play video games then play a little, and then study when you need to study, if you cant find balance and figure this out on your own without sdn then i doubt you could handle all the future decisions needed to be made as an MD, again i am amazed at the ridiculousness of members of this forum

I think you are lost, move on.

DNM503 said:
This is really funny considering I just played drunken Dance Dance Revolution for about 6 hours instead of studying for finals. Eh, at least I got a good workout. No regrets :)

Ah, good times, good times. :)

It's all about the Halo ladies and gents. :thumbup:
shotty to the head=instant stress releif :D

video games rock...especially xbox 360
|||
|||
|||
VVV

Hi everybody. My name is Owais and I'm addicted to videogames. I got through high school telling my parents that video games increased my hand-eye coordination and dexterity, a characteristic that serves well for surgeons. That quieted down their nagging.

Anyway, what kind of surgeon would FPS Doug make?

It is possible to have both.

In high school I would play n64, gamecube, counter strike, TFC, starcraft, etc. and I was still valedictorian of my class.

In my freshman year I played alot of Warcraft III. However I grew disinterested in video games in general, so I don't play them anymore. But it's entirely possible to do well and school and have fun with video games.

Im a survivor of CS...wen i was a freshman at UT..i got addicted to the low ping..(T3 internet at dorms)...and i would not go to any of my classes except tests..and i would play a good 14+ hours a day..that year my gpa suffered..got a 3.0...so i was on/off the rest of my college career..and im heading to med school next fall...:)

Has anybody on SDN gotten their hands on the Xbox 360? I know the likelihood is slim... but if you have one I'm waiting for an invitation to your habitat...so that we can bond. More specifically so that me and your xbox 360 can bond.

OW415 said:
Has anybody on SDN gotten their hands on the Xbox 360? I know the likelihood is slim... but if you have one I'm waiting for an invitation to your habitat...so that we can bond. More specifically so that me and your xbox 360 can bond.

The last day of finals there was a guy in broad daylight standing at the bus stop with an XBOX 360.

I was like, what, do you want to get stabbed?

My first semester of college was my highest GPA-wise and that was when I played Starcraft/Wolfenstein 3D 4+ hours a day.

Go figure. Sigh.

I'm a huge TFC freak, and play all the time. I was even able to play during PA school probably once a week, but I know the time is coming when during med school I'm not going to be able to play. It's just a given. I still love FPS for relaxing and having a little fun, that'll never change.

I was a gamer in HS, dropped off in University...the only game I really play now is Burnout 3: Takedown, which is the best 'racing' game ever.

I used to play Starcraft everyday in high school. My dream back then was to go pro and go to Korea to make a living playing that game. Then, I also got addicted to Couterstrike. Freshman and Sophomore year, I took time off from video games, but then during the summer after Soph year, my brother got me hooked on World of Warcraft. I'd spend days just trying to level up and finish dungeon raids. My god I lost so much time on that....

On that note, I'm gonna go play Day of Defeat, then study for finals. Laff

Gavanshir said:

yes. its totally possible! video games develop focus, problem solving skills, and manual dexterity, not to mention discipline and patience as long as you are responsible about it.

play them as a reward and during breaks.
dont play any online games like ff11 except during the breaks.

I couldn't have made it through college without HALO1 and 2...

Gavanshir said:
oh hell yeah, video games are the 1337. umm oh but they dont balance well, only if you have few credit hours and ECs going on. buying back? nah, wait for the new generation of consoles. play DDR to keep the blood flowing and the reflexes quick. smartness and gaming skill go hand in hand as they both relate to the quickness of neural activity, or thats my proposition anyway

To further illustrate my point:

My friend plays SC all the time and he's top 10 in the US. He has a 3.97 at Emory, which as I understand it, is a hard school.

videogames are vital to academic success just as is watching tv.

BrettBatchelor said:
Ha...I've played Age of Empires 3 before in class. Fun times.

Wait...when did Age of Empires 3 come out?

riceman04 said:
Wait...when did Age of Empires 3 come out?

aoe III just came out in mid november

my roomie and i would play aoe2 conquerors all the time....all the time, wow that's a great game

there's age of mythology that came out after aoe2, which is a great great game, but isn't aoe3

i also played halo and more throughout my undergrad...and i have 3.7+

i did get addicted to CS also, until i figured out that half the ppl playing use cheats when i started getting shot through walls

Ok, well I know that this was highly subjective but I think that general consensus here is that it IS very much possible to balance school and videogames.

The reason why I wanted to buy back my ps2 was because I've missed so much of the ps2 generation that I feel I need to catch up on the games that are already out. Plus I'm too poor to be able to afford a new gen system.

One thing I'll say is that it's best to stay away from online games. The "socializing" aspect of these games eats up the most amount of time. I think I would have played much less CS if I hadn't always been on IRC all the time to manage clan politics and organize scrims and matches.

HAHAHAHAHA age of empires 3!!

have u guys played AOE 1? i remember those cheats like big daddy which would give you a dodge viper....hahahahaahaha
and other crazzy stuff ...those were fun times!

i used to play a lot of cs and battlefield 1942, desert combat and vietnam and splinter cell on the xbox....

but i sold my xbox and took the games of the pc. I dont play anymore, id rather go and hang out with my freinds. I dont have time for both ........ : : :thumbdown:

when is there going to be an online fantasy rpg world for premeds, ultima and everquest like!

Shredder said:
when is there going to be an online fantasy rpg world for premeds, ultima and everquest like!

It wouldn't be any fun, it would just consist of hours of virtual studying, drinking coffee, and bitching to everyone else.

Slide said:
It wouldn't be any fun, it would just consist of hours of virtual studying, drinking coffee, and bitching to everyone else.
haha, no way you could rack up all sorts of accolades and items (advanced stethoscopes and MRIs), deal with lawyers and respond to emergencies