Videogames and Academic Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jon stewart said:
HAHAHAHAHA age of empires 3!!

have u guys played AOE 1? i remember those cheats like big daddy which would give you a dodge viper....hahahahaahaha
and other crazzy stuff ...those were fun times!

:laugh: yea, it was great making a huge army of dodge vipers

i like...at least on conquerors...when you can create your own maps, my friend and i made one called "monkay zoo" and there was a walled in area w/ those crazy monkeys....excuse me...monkays...and whoever got to it first would own the walls....so whenever you wanted you can go to the zoo w/ a millitia man that walked at the same monkay pace...open the walls, have the monkays follow and then walk into the enemy town for a fun time :)

one time i played this map against a friend, and i was testing it out w/a militiaman, and accidently ran across his army of elephants walking to my town.....hehehehehhehehehhe

Members don't see this ad.

OW415 said:
Hi everybody. My name is Owais and I'm addicted to videogames. I got through high school telling my parents that video games increased my hand-eye coordination and dexterity, a characteristic that serves well for surgeons. That quieted down their nagging.

Anyway, what kind of surgeon would FPS Doug make?

There's actual research to prove this. Research has been done that link video games prior to surgery with quicker operations and fewer medical errors made by the surgeons. It especially helps on laproscopic surgery, as would be expected, since you're doing something by looking on a TV and maneuvering controllers in essance.

I saw the main surgeon who has been doing this research with his residents on a TV documentary on the Discovery channel.

He and his residents were warming up for surgery by playing Super Monkey Ball.

How cool is that...warming up for your job to do it better by playing video games...
Damn, life is good

cardsurgguy said:
How cool is that...warming up for your job to do it better by playing video games...
Damn, life is good

"ok, time to get to that surgery"

"wait, i'm not fully warmed up yet, 10 more minutes"

Members don't see this ad :)
1992 - Sonic the Hedgehog Mania
1997 - Tomba and FF7 on psx
2001-2003 Counterstrike
2003-2004 halo

2004-2006 Gamefree.

It's not that hard to quit from games because the games are getting ****tier. Xbox 360 doesn't look that much better visually than psx2 or xbox, and it's going to be all about fps. I'd rather play CS instead of those crappy high-graphics fps, but if I played CS ther would be no point because to be good you either use l337 h4x or have too much time.

It's pretty sad to see that there are "professional gamers." What's next? Professional "dungeons and dragons" player?

I play Halo 2 on XBOX LIVE and whenever I am stressed or frustrated I always just go and play for a little bit, it really helps to relieve you and take your mind off things for a little while.

Does anyone else play Day of Defeat Source? That's an addictive fps. So much pwnage.

cs_office & fy_iceworld

Gosh it's been so long since I've played any other map on CSS. I also play COD2 once in a while as well as BF2 & NFSU2. I don't think I ever played HL2 after finishing it.

I think someone had asked for grades as well - 4.0 Sci Gpa & ~3.8 Cum. Which reminds me - I should get back to what I *really* should be doing :laugh:

As person who has played a lot during his "career", i would say there is no relationship. BUT you do need to balance your life and figure out your priorities. Thats why many premeds change career paths. It is a long winding road and you need to be sure that you have some fun. Its too bad i see many docs rampantly drinking and unable to control themselves. I am a second yr anesthesia resident, and I have yet to find a good balance between having too much fun and sitting around studying for hours at a time. Usually, I end up doing both of the extremes. But i really don't care as long as i end up board certified and have a good job.

Hermit MMood said:
1992 - Sonic the Hedgehog Mania
1997 - Tomba and FF7 on psx
2001-2003 Counterstrike
2003-2004 halo

2004-2006 Gamefree.

It's not that hard to quit from games because the games are getting ****tier. Xbox 360 doesn't look that much better visually than psx2 or xbox, and it's going to be all about fps. I'd rather play CS instead of those crappy high-graphics fps, but if I played CS ther would be no point because to be good you either use l337 h4x or have too much time.

It's pretty sad to see that there are "professional gamers." What's next? Professional "dungeons and dragons" player?
Quick asside.... I have never tried to understand D&D, but there are professional players. Apparently the "world champ" made something like 130 grand last year with endorsements and winning one tournament that gave a 50 G first prize. Nutty huh?

Does anybody play those hack n slack types a..la.. Devil May Cry, Onimusha, Strider, Ninja Gaiden... I'm still addicted to those and the street fighter/tekken series. Don't play em as much as I used to, just enough to kick some @$$ at the arcade if I feel like stoppin by the mall or somethin :cool:

WhatUpDoc! said:
Does anybody play those hack n slack types a..la.. Devil May Cry, Onimusha, Strider, Ninja Gaiden... I'm still addicted to those and the street fighter/tekken series. Don't play em as much as I used to, just enough to kick some @$$ at the arcade if I feel like stoppin by the mall or somethin :cool:
Ninja Gaiden is the best Xbox game I ever played. But I am more of a PS2 RPG fan myself. My wife loves playing the Harvest Moon games, which are like farming RPGs.

WhatUpDoc! said:
I play street fighter III 3rd Strike religiously with my roommate. Classic.

I just can't buy any video games during the semester because I will try to finish the game in one sitting, usually the night before a test. It was tough this summer when Paper Mario went on sale while I was taking P Chem. You guys would probably know about this, what's going on with the Nintendo Revolution?

Nintendo is funny like that, they can't really hang with microsoft and sony anymore, or they don't want to. But that revolution deserves a second look at least. How silly would I look waving around a motion sensor remote control pretending its a sword in some Legend of Zelda game??

I'm a big fan of tactical shooters like AA or SWAT, and sims like Silent Hunter III or Falcon 4.0:AF. Falcon has a huge manual - my gf says when I'm playing I look like I'm studying orgo cause when she walks by I'm hunched over the manual instead of actually playing.

Use videogaming time as a reward for studying, that's what I always did and it worked out great :)

Med-tallica said:
Nintendo is funny like that, they can't really hang with microsoft and sony anymore, or they don't want to. But that revolution deserves a second look at least. How silly would I look waving around a motion sensor remote control pretending its a sword in some Legend of Zelda game??

I think it would be quite silly. It's just seems akward. Who plays video games with manicured hands?
EdX2WT4zfrPiOI_RoY3JWEMfpGJXu5MG.jpg

thefafo said:
I just can't buy any video games during the semester because I will try to finish the game in one sitting, usually the night before a test. It was tough this summer when Paper Mario went on sale while I was taking P Chem. You guys would probably know about this, what's going on with the Nintendo Revolution?

Weird one-handed controller aside, I'm loving the 100% backwards compatibility all the way back to NES... that is crazy :wow: I think it'll be out sometime around spring/early summer '06 with the PS3. I grew up on Mario so the Revolution is a must have... what better way to spend the summer off before embarking on that long, horrific road they call med school!?!? :)

thefafo said:

I'm the same way. Same reason it's hard for me to start books during the year...I'll be up all night reading instead of just rewarding myself with it.

Don't know too much about the new Nintendo, but I did see the trailer today for the new Zelda on Google Video (video.google.com, and search for zelda).