Videos in Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

praying4MD

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went overseas on a medical relief trip & one of my hobbies is videography. Consequently, I produced a 20 minute documentary on my trip. Should I submit this video as a supplemental item in my applications? I would really like to, but I don't know if it would end up having a negative effect (i.e. applicant is trying to "impress" committee because the application doesn't stand on its own on paper)? Sending it & having negative consequences would be disastrous. Although I will write about it in my personal statement, seeing the video adds SO much more than I can describe. I have the same question about copies of photos. To submit or not to submit?

Members don't see this ad.

I never thought of something like this before, but I don't think I would unless you call the adcom ahead and ask the schools individually.

Maybe if your idea catches on, and everyone sends in videos, we can have the med school Dating Game ;)

My advice is NOT to do it. Many schools frown on sending in anything in addition to what they've requested in the way of supplemental documentation. In addition, you run the risk of seeming gimmicky and gimmicky is not good in medicine. This could be seen as falling under the head of writing your essay in the form of an H&P, videotaping an interview with yourself or sending in pictures of yourself with some famous person - all notable examples of gimmicks used in the past (unsuccessfully).

I would certainly encourage you to talk about it in your personal statement and take the video and pictures along with you on the interview trail. That way, if the conversation touches on the subject you can show the photos and offer to leave the video for their perusal.

Did you happen to film it digitally? If so, you might consider putting it on line and giving the link in your essay. Photos can be easily scanned and uploaded if not digital as well.

Best of luck. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh dear, I hope med school admissions doesn't go the same route to the toilet like college admissions did. I can remember people bringing anything from art to tapes of themselves doing ballet to improve their chances. That being said, if it will help, do it, screw everyone else. I know I would. :D

Schoolboy...

Sorry to break it to ya...but it already has, at least in times of highly competitive application cycles. The examples I gave in my earlier post are not made up: these are just some of the examples of things people have done in the past to gain admission. Throw in samples of one's suturing work, home movies of the applicant doing something "clever" or talking about why they should be admitted to medical school and applications submitted on elastic bandages and you have just an inkling of some of the crazy things that have (and surely will continue to) gone on. :eek:

I had a feeling it would impact me negatively, which is really a shame, because if you saw the tape, it's not "gimmicky" at all. Actually, they played it on a local station here (granted, Sunday at 7 am, on a weak channel, but still!) It really is like a PBS documentary. Anyway, I will take your advice and not submit it. Do you suppose if I asked ahead of time to see what they think that it would make any difference? Thanks for all the input everyone.

It probably doesn't hurt to ask, once you get to the secondary stage, but my guess is they will say no, for the reasons Kim mentioned. I think taking the photos and a copy of the video with you on the interviews is an excellent idea. If you hit it off with your interviewer, you can offer to show them the pictures and leave the video.

Well, you don't want your professional school app to come across like you're trying to audition for "survivor" or "the real world". I wouldn't try to send in anything they don't ask for. I personally wouldn't want to send anything in video because it could introduce bias. (even if it's subconscious)

i had a similar situation when i applied (all x times!) in that i was subject of an interview for a local television show. (yes, healthydawg is a big celebrity.) interestingly, a lot of people advised me to send the tape in, but i chose not to for all the reasons given above. i think i did mention it in once of my essays, because the interview was directly related to my health experience.

i was all ready for someone to ask me about it, but alas, no one ever did. big surprise, huh?

anyway, i'm willing to make signature copies of the video available at a very reasonable price for SDN members. :p

praying4MD - I did not mean to suggest that your video was gimmicky. I am sure it is an excellent story, of professional quality.

I meant to imply that the ACTION of sending a video in might be seen as gimmicky. I agree with lilycat, there is nothing wrong with inquiring after the secondary application stage if you may submit anything else in suport of your application. Some schools allow you to submit 1 more letter, one more thing to support your app and others do not. If they do, you may certainly submit your video for their approval (I would still take it and the photos along on the interview trail and seriously consider having them on-line if at all possible. Maybe then WE could see it. Goes for you too healthydawg! :) )

It couldn't hurt to ask.

Originally posted by healthydawg:
•anyway, i'm willing to make signature copies of the video available at a very reasonable price for SDN members. :p

Let me guess.... two EASY payments of $19.95?

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox:
•I did not mean to suggest that your video was gimmicky. I am sure it is an excellent story, of professional quality. •
Kimberli: I know you didn't mean it that way at all. I completely understand. Sorry if it came across that way in my writing... Sheesh the misunderstandings with typing! I agree that sending it in could be a little OTT (over the top) and imapct me negatively. I will keep it in mind for the interview, but after this, I see it would be wise to simply mention it in the secondaries. BTW, no, it's not digital, sorry!

Healthydawg: Cool story. So, it didn't really help you? But I assume you still got in. Do you think it would have hurt your chances?

Excellent suggestions everyone. I really appreciate it.

I defintely would not send the video. I would allocate a nice portion of the personal statement to talking talking about the video, however. Many people have talents outside of the usual academics. Medical schools are busy enough with the current application, that they don't want to be drowned with tangible samples of ones' creativity and talents as relevent to medicine as it may be. That's why there's the personal statement.