dr doom

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2005
6
0
Status
Hello everyone. I am a first-year working with my school (SUNY Downstate) to start utilizing some of the A/V equiptment we have to start recording lectures and having them streamed online. I know University of Miami, SUNY Upstate, Stanford, Wayne State, Drexel, Case Western (I think?). Let me know if you can think of any others.

I was wondering if anyone who has this at their school could comment on this subject. Here are some questions to think about. Do you find this helpful? Do you know the approximate pass/fail rate at your school or could help me find someone that I can get this information from?
Are you the type of person that goes to lectures everyday? Or the type that studies independently? Are you a visual learner, or an auditory learner? Does having the lectures at your disposal facilitate learning, or promote procrastination? Please help me out with any input so we can make this available to future classes.
Thanks in advance
 

Simonster

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
84
1
Status
as a student at one of the above schools, i can say that hands down everyone I've ever talked to about it LOVES the fact that we can watch lecture when we need to. Professor slightly unintelligable? crappy notes? sick that day? just rewind and watch it over again.

I'm definitely more of an auditory learner. I'll throw on a lecture and start cleaning the house. I go to lectures most of the time, but even then i still go back to the videos so I can review a difficult concept, or something I missed while zoning out. Unfortunately I don't know my school's pass/fail rate.
 

Soleil9

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2002
261
1
Michigan
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I absolutely LOVE videotaped lectures. My favorite thing about it is the pause button. Prof going too fast? PAUSE! I also can stop to think, draw a diagram, look up a reference, etc. Of course you could do this with MP3 files too, but right now we are in Histo and Anatomy, and I can't imagine just listening to a lecture, our profs love pictures and diagrams and pointing at them with their fancy laser pointer too much.

Video lectures are great, and also let you go to class from anywhere that has an internet connection (ahhh coffee shops).

Our school also has great support for the recording of the lectures. The cameraman is great (a hired person, not one of our fellow students). He will move the camera around so if a prof starts gesturing to demonstrate an idea, he'll move it off the overhead screen and onto the prof. It's a great service and Wayne does it really well, in my opinion. I use it all the time.
 

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
3,068
41
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dr doom said:
Hello everyone. I am a first-year working with my school (SUNY Downstate) to start utilizing some of the A/V equiptment we have to start recording lectures and having them streamed online. I know University of Miami, SUNY Upstate, Stanford, Wayne State, Drexel, Case Western (I think?). Let me know if you can think of any others.

I was wondering if anyone who has this at their school could comment on this subject. Here are some questions to think about. Do you find this helpful? Do you know the approximate pass/fail rate at your school or could help me find someone that I can get this information from?
Are you the type of person that goes to lectures everyday? Or the type that studies independently? Are you a visual learner, or an auditory learner? Does having the lectures at your disposal facilitate learning, or promote procrastination? Please help me out with any input so we can make this available to future classes.
Thanks in advance

yup... it's great. i can't imagine med school without it. i live about 30 mins away, so it saves me a lot of driving. plus, i learn mostly from reading the notes and the book. so i will generally do some reading, read over the notes, then watch the lecture at 2x to get the general gist of what the prof is emphasizing. since i have started doing this, i have honored every exam (i'm only a M1- so there hasnt been that many exams).

so watching the lecture online saves me 1 hr of driving plus it cuts the lecture time in half. so on a day with 6 hrs of lecture i will gain 4 extra hours to study more or to have fun.

It absolutely promotes learning. As others already stated- if you are sick or you simply don't understand a lecture you can always watch it again. Even if you are the person that still goes to lecture you are bound to miss something prof says. Video lecture available online allows you to catch the things you missed.
 

marimiyaz

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
35
0
38
Status
Our lectures aren't videotaped but they put the audio tapes of them online. I wish they were videotaped. Regardless, I love them. The quality of my life went up dramatically when I starting replacing going to class with using audio lectures. I find it much easier to learn on my own. And now i can sleep in until 11am! It's great. :thumbup:
 

Ezekiel20

Resident
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
272
2
Sydney, NSW Australia
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My university (Sydney University, NSW Australia) puts online editions of lectures in video format and rich media file format.

The video files are very large and not very good in quality, but the rich media files are awesome.

Basically, it is like a powerpoint presentation plus the audio recording from the lecture. The slides change over at the precise moments (there must be someone who spends time creating these files at the IT department).

In some ways, it can be better than the real lecture because I can go back if I miss anything.

However, the files are uploaded a whole week after it is given, so it is not meant to replace the lectures.

Hope this helps

Ezekiel
 

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
3,068
41
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ezekiel20 said:
My university (Sydney University, NSW Australia) puts online editions of lectures in video format and rich media file format.

The video files are very large and not very good in quality, but the rich media files are awesome.

Basically, it is like a powerpoint presentation plus the audio recording from the lecture. The slides change over at the precise moments (there must be someone who spends time creating these files at the IT department).

In some ways, it can be better than the real lecture because I can go back if I miss anything.

However, the files are uploaded a whole week after it is given, so it is not meant to replace the lectures.

Hope this helps

Ezekiel
well now i feel bad about complaining about how long it takes my school to upload them.... 1day doesn't seem all that bad now. i don't understand what takes so long though. on test weeks, they always have the lectures up the same day.
 

Arsenic

posting from the future
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
14,657
4
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
deuist said:
I love having the lectures available online. I often use them when studying for an exam.
its so conveniet when you come across a point in your notes and you can just go back and re-watch that section of the video. :thumbup:
 

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
948
3
Status
they have videos online?

I want to see what stanfurd lectures are like......
 

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,119
1
35
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
my school has lectures online, and it is the most amazing thing ever (as is pass/fail grading and flex time for quizzes, but i digresss...). i never go to lecture. it does promote procrastination for me, but it also promotes efficiency for me, because i watch them faster than 1X speed and because, as everyone else has said, if i missed a concept i can just go back and watch it again. when i used to go to lecture, it was nice, too, so that i could go back and review certain things.

the main reason i like lectures online (as well as flex time for quizzes) is that it gives you ridiculous amounts of freedom. we only have a few hours of required small groups or labs a week, and other than that i can do whatever i want all day. and i do. i sleep in til 4pm a lot, go to the bar on mondays and tuesdays, go out of town any day of the week i feel like it, etc. i get to study whenever is most convenient for me, and i love it!

make sure you have good quality tapes, though. sometimes whoever is taping it doesn't change back and forth between the slides and the lecturer when necessary, and it's kind of irritating.

oh, and pass/fail rate... hmmm... i think one person every 3 years drops out or something, but that's it. they're nice to us where i am. :)

yay for lectures being online!!!
 

Ezekiel20

Resident
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
272
2
Sydney, NSW Australia
Status
Resident [Any Field]
fun8stuff said:
well now i feel bad about complaining about how long it takes my school to upload them.... 1day doesn't seem all that bad now. i don't understand what takes so long though. on test weeks, they always have the lectures up the same day.
I think they take their sweet time because they really want it to help people who couldn't attend lectures for whatever reason, rather than promote not coming to class and becoming a 'correspondence student'.
 

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
543
1
49
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
LauraMac said:
my school has lectures online, and it is the most amazing thing ever (as is pass/fail grading and flex time for quizzes, but i digresss...). i never go to lecture. it does promote procrastination for me, but it also promotes efficiency for me, because i watch them faster than 1X speed and because, as everyone else has said, if i missed a concept i can just go back and watch it again. when i used to go to lecture, it was nice, too, so that i could go back and review certain things.

the main reason i like lectures online (as well as flex time for quizzes) is that it gives you ridiculous amounts of freedom. we only have a few hours of required small groups or labs a week, and other than that i can do whatever i want all day. and i do. i sleep in til 4pm a lot, go to the bar on mondays and tuesdays, go out of town any day of the week i feel like it, etc. i get to study whenever is most convenient for me, and i love it!

make sure you have good quality tapes, though. sometimes whoever is taping it doesn't change back and forth between the slides and the lecturer when necessary, and it's kind of irritating.

oh, and pass/fail rate... hmmm... i think one person every 3 years drops out or something, but that's it. they're nice to us where i am. :)

yay for lectures being online!!!
Laura, are you at Michigan? Cuz that's how it is at my school! Though I'm a lecture goer, I love being able to review a lecture I didn't understand or see it if I missed for whatever reason. Ours are streamed video, so there's no downloading a big file and they post them usually a couple of hours afterwards or less. Yes, school at UMich is possibly the best ever. That being said, I have a major cardiopulmonary quiz to study for.

Video lecture rules!

:D
 

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
1,639
12
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
We have MP3 only (underfunded state school), recorded and posted online by a student. Works great, can listen while driving or working out; many of us think we would rather have audio only than video.
 

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
948
3
Status
MeowMix said:
We have MP3 only (underfunded state school), recorded and posted online by a student. Works great, can listen while driving or working out; many of us think we would rather have audio only than video.

so underfunded that they can't even afford a $199 camcorder and an intraweb server.

how broke are you guys?
 

beastmaster

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2003
945
2
Status
Attending Physician
Streamed lectures are beautiful innovations. Two months into school and I went from attending 100% of the lectures to streaming 100% of then. The average attention span is 20 minutes. Come to an 8am lecture and look around at 8:25, you'll see what I mean. Those little 5-10 minute lapses in concentration lower your retention exponentially. Then you lose track of the lecturer and fugggitaboutit, you have no idea what he's talking about. When streaming, I just pause, syncronize with a textbook, and my retention is stratospheric all things considered. Not to mention media player's ability to stream at accelerated speeds. Got a slow talking professor? Stream at 2X and a 2-hour lecture is now suddenly 1-hour.

Not to mention all the multi-tasking. I have a 6-25ft 3.5mm extension cables for my headphones, so I can eat, clean up my room, sit in the bathroom, workout, and do innummerable other tasks and not miss a beat.
 

lil pook

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
415
5
Visit site
Status
same here.

our school puts the mp3 online after about 2 hours and we just got the video streaming thing going as well. needless to say, i rarely attend lecture. i mean why attend? i pay better attention at home anyway without all the distraction from classmates.

mix that with noteservice and i save about $30 a week on gas.
 

ghgi8

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 27, 2004
162
0
Status
2xAV is the love of my life
 

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
1,639
12
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
YouDontKnowJack said:
so underfunded that they can't even afford a $199 camcorder and an intraweb server.

how broke are you guys?
really broke, and the admin does not want to pay someone to do the recording and upload
 

myodana

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
614
1
41
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
our lectures aren't videotaped, and the audiotapes are not made public. instead, we have a student-run transcription service (but only for our MCFM class... molecular and cellular foundations of medicine - the mega course). from rumors i've heard, apparently they did either video or make audiotapes public at one point, but nobody showed up to lecture, so they nixed that.
 

Archimedes

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2004
74
1
Status
What motivation do people have to actually go to class then? Doesn't it look bad when like half the class doesn't show up, because they're snoozing away to watch the lecture later in the afternoon?
 

ruler

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
54
0
Status
Medical Student
videotaped luctures are very usful Iuse it in need to expands their knowladge
as possiblemy study ,Iused to depend on both visual and auditary learning in reading ot references Iam lucture independent because the medical students
 

hobbesiscool

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
133
1
Status
dr doom said:
Hello everyone. I am a first-year working with my school (SUNY Downstate) to start utilizing some of the A/V equiptment we have to start recording lectures and having them streamed online. I know University of Miami, SUNY Upstate, Stanford, Wayne State, Drexel, Case Western (I think?). Let me know if you can think of any others.

I was wondering if anyone who has this at their school could comment on this subject. Here are some questions to think about. Do you find this helpful? Do you know the approximate pass/fail rate at your school or could help me find someone that I can get this information from?
Are you the type of person that goes to lectures everyday? Or the type that studies independently? Are you a visual learner, or an auditory learner? Does having the lectures at your disposal facilitate learning, or promote procrastination? Please help me out with any input so we can make this available to future classes.
Thanks in advance
I know Baylor College of Medicine has it.
 

Bubchik

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
390
8
Status
hobbesiscool said:
I know Baylor College of Medicine has it.
Johns Hopkins too. plus 2XAV. They even videotape Review sessions and we have access to previous year lectures too (if smth is wrong with this year recording). Every school should have it.