Videotaping patients

Started by docB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've had this idea for awhile. I would like to start videotaping patients who are drunk, stoned, violent or otherwise being jerks in the ER. This tape would be given to the patient on d/c. There's no HIPPA violation as long as you don't accidentally tape other patients and because you give the tape to the pt. As they leave you can say "This is how you were acting last night." This would be great for all the pts that wake up and don't believe that they were that drunk or that stoned.
 
docB said:
I've had this idea for awhile. I would like to start videotaping patients who are drunk, stoned, violent or otherwise being jerks in the ER. This tape would be given to the patient on d/c. There's no HIPPA violation as long as you don't accidentally tape other patients and because you give the tape to the pt. As they leave you can say "This is how you were acting last night." This would be great for all the pts that wake up and don't believe that they were that drunk or that stoned.


I've often thought that there should be security cameras in each trauma room/bay, just to document alleged abuse/malpractice.

And, no, don't give the tapes to the pt. Keep them on file. As long as the policy is clearly documented I don't think it would be a HIPPA infraction.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've actually thought about getting a polaroid camera, taking a picture of the patient who is obtunded from either heroin/GHB/ETOH (with NGT/ETT/NRB etc in place) and putting hte polaroid in their pocket, or bottom of their shoe or something...

Q, DO
 
My father was a volunteer EMT/firefighter for many, many years. True story:

He and his crew responded to a home for two intoxicated females. They were two 14 yos who having no prior experience with alcohol did not realize that drinking a bottle of tequila and a bottle of peppermint schnapps would not be such a good idea. They were supposed to be camping out in the backyard of one of the girls houses, but were found passed out by the road by a good samaritan. The father of one of the girls had the presence of mind to pull out the video camera after he called 911. He remarked to my father, " there is no way they will remember this tomorrow so I want to make sure they will never forget it." He proceeded to tape the whole call; documenting these kids covered in puke and dirt being taken to the hospital.

Awesome!
 
QuinnNSU said:
I've actually thought about getting a polaroid camera, taking a picture of the patient who is obtunded from either heroin/GHB/ETOH (with NGT/ETT/NRB etc in place) and putting hte polaroid in their pocket, or bottom of their shoe or something...

Q, DO
I know of a large County hospital that used to do this, and no longer does. When I asked, I was told it was a HIPAA thing. Of course, HIPAA is so poorly understood by so many healthcare practitioners that I can't say whether there really is an issue. I think it's likely more a case of perception. What happens if an outraged spouse or parent finds the Polaroid, etc etc.
 
When I was doing a urology rotation, a female urology resident made me run down to the team room to get her camera to get a picture of this guy's urinary catheter that had been in for so long that it had eroded to a side location. I didn't think very much of it, but probably would have rather not been the patient who was getting his picture taken. He was already intubated, and drapes were covering identifying features though.