Vietnamese Roll Call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I'm viet too. Just got accepted at Texas A&M COP.

Members don't see this ad.

can someone PM me about their GPA and work if they feel comfortable to? I really want to go to schools from Florida/California/Texas but I do know what GPA I should be in the range in.

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone PM me about their GPA and work if they feel comfortable to? I really want to go to schools from Florida/California/Texas but I do know what GPA I should be in the range in.

mine is 3.9 overal... 4.0 science....[ for Florida, it should be between 3.6-3.8]

Viet here too. Have been in the US for quite awhile. I had my IT degree and have been working for the past 14 years. Now I decide to switch career. My GPA is about average due to the English barier back then. I am currently taking some pre-pharm courses and doing great in them. Hopefully that might offset my overall GPA. Besides I am hoping they are looking for more than just GPA. Anyways, anybody here in the Long Beach area? Maybe we can compare notes on the application process.

Viet here too. Have been in the US for quite awhile. I had my IT degree and have been working for the past 14 years. Now I decide to switch career. My GPA is about average due to the English barier back then. I am currently taking some pre-pharm courses and doing great in them. Hopefully that might offset my overall GPA. Besides I am hoping they are looking for more than just GPA. Anyways, anybody here in the Long Beach area? Maybe we can compare notes on the application process.

I'm not far from Long Beach, in the OC. In fact, I volunteer at a hospital in LB.

Do you need any credentials to volunteer? I probably need to get some pharm experience in to offset the GPA. Which LB hosp. are you at? I know one of the pharmacist at the one on Atlantic ave.

Do you need any credentials to volunteer? I probably need to get some pharm experience in to offset the GPA. Which LB hosp. are you at? I know one of the pharmacist at the one on Atlantic ave.

Actually, I'm volunteering/interning at St. Mary's just to get the whole hospital experience and for fun. I get pharm experience at a hospital in San Diego because I go to school at UCSD. In general, you don't need any background just to volunteer, but I don't know any hospital in the Orange County/Long Beach area that opens the pharmacy dept to volunteers. That's why a lot of people are working as pharmacy clerks or pharmacy technicians.

mine is 3.9 overal... 4.0 science....[ for Florida, it should be between 3.6-3.8]

Hey, congrats man... I knew you would be accepted somewhere. Your GPA was up there though.

Again, congrats to our people :)...

Hey, congrats man... I knew you would be accepted somewhere. Your GPA was up there though.

Again, congrats to our people :)...

Thank you very much, just got mine acceptance letter this morning, and I am so happy ^^:hardy::hardy::hardy:

University of Florida College of Pharmacy Class 2012

The VA in LB on Bellflower and 7th will accept volunteers for their pharmacy department. It's outpatient though, I am not sure about in-patient. But you can spend a few months in out-patient and then ask to be transferred. All you need to do is attend an orientation, fill out some paperwork, get TB and blood tests, and start! Call the volunteer coordinator to ask for orientation dates. They usually have one per month.

But if you know a pharmacist at a hospital why don't you ask them about any volunteer opportunities? Surely they can find you a spot.

BTW, I go to CSULB but will not be returning next year because I'll be in pharm school! :)

I'll be going to Temple starting Fall 08. I'm currently looking for a female to room-mate with. Please PM if you're interested. Thanks.

hey,i am vietnamese and planning to go to temple for pharmacy,but i am just a freshmen in CCP.I have a lot of questions and i really need urs helps.i got a W on my record,i retook it and got an ! ( calculus 1),do u think the W will affect me when i apply to temple.,how did u do the pcat? is it hard.when should i apply to temple,and did u have to study any language ?( can u use vietnamese to fill out prep course??) help me,please...bua nao bao an pho,hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
Representin'. :)

houston Texas

I once thought i was alone :(

Last edited:
hey,i am vietnamese and planning to go to temple for pharmacy,but i am just a freshmen in CCP.I have a lot of questions and i really need urs helps.i got a W on my record,i retook it and got an ! ( calculus 1),do u think the W will affect me when i apply to temple.,how did u do the pcat? is it hard.when should i apply to temple,and did u have to study any language ?( can u use vietnamese to fill out prep course??) help me,please...bua nao bao an pho,hehe

W will affect your application for sure. Where do you live?

Co ai dg nop don nam nay o San Jose hon? Any one is from San Jose?

Is CCP, Community College of Philadelphia? That is the only school that I can think of with those initial. If so, pharmgirl88 is in Philadelphia, PA.

I am Viet,too. I am from DaLat- southern Vietnam :) currently a senior at UST and graduate in this coming May. I am applying to USC, UCSD and Western. I hope I get in (Praying!!)
Can anyone who already got accepted share his/her GPA? My overall GPA~3.5 and 4.0 in prereq.

oh wow,,,it will affect me???i didnt know that.if i knew that,i wouldn't drop my class which i could get at least a C .omg....what should i do,,,,,o mg........CCP is community college of philadelphia,,it s in PA...and i live in northwest philly..i am feeling so sad now

oh wow,,,it will affect me???i didnt know that.if i knew that,i wouldn't drop my class which i could get at least a C .omg....what should i do,,,,,o mg........CCP is community college of philadelphia,,it s in PA...and i live in northwest philly..i am feeling so sad now

I think you should not be worry. You should do good in other classes, and score high in the Pcat. They will still call you for interview.

Okay, you need to relax. W's are negative as are C's. The impression is different for each school W's indicate that you were doing poorly or failed to finish the course and REPEATED the course. C's indicate average and relatively poor performance in a course. They both entail the same thing (assuming you were going to retake the course because of a C), but many prefer to take a W than to admit their grade. Either way, adcoms question your ability to do well the first time and take this into consideration. I don't think it will break an application. It just makes it weaker than those who can perform well taking a class once.

Edit: Personally, I think you made the more intelligent move. If a pharm school does a GPA scan, then you won't be dropped versus someone who had a low GPA because they didn't take a W.

Last edited:
anyone here lives in houston but applies to pharm schools in CA?? just wondering....

wow... quite a few ..vnese here....I saw you all talked about Pho...what about " bun' bo` hue' "..ekekekekek...

nice to know everyone here...wish you all luck!!!!

Vietnamese -attending ULM, just got a call from college of pharmacy here. My interview is on Jan 9th =)

viet here too... think i'm going to vcu... still deciding. anyone else heading to richmond next year?

I'm Vietnamese! I will be going to Sullivan this Fall. =)

awesome! im from dallas/fort worth too! hoping to apply pharm school after 3rd year! dont know if theyll accept me..my gpa is pretty low :[

I'm from Dallas. I guess most vietnamese people are from Houston or Cali.

I'm Vietnamese! I'm horribly Americanized though, so I can't speak a word of my own language. Why are Vietnamese people so attracted to this profession? (Actually I think we all know why, but won't admit it :p.)

viet here too... think i'm going to vcu... still deciding. anyone else heading to richmond next year?

I applied there, still waiting for them to email me back.

Anyone here from Louisiana ?

Viet right here =) half at least. Pharmacy is in my blood.

In California, there are many vietnamese pharmacists. I hope one day we all gather together and make our own pharmaceutical company, or drug store like Walgreen. We make our own business. We make us stronger among other communities.

Yo one Korean here, but I love pho - (phoshizzle)

In California, there are many vietnamese pharmacists. I hope one day we all gather together and make our own pharmaceutical company, or drug store like Walgreen. We make our own business. We make us stronger among other communities.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: .... hahahaa... so funny. Go Viets!

That's exactly what Hispanic pharmacists do in South Florida.
There have their chains and hispanic supermarkets. CVS and Walgreens can;t even compete with them in Miami. They are able to do it, why not Vietnamese?! :D

Actually I think it's IMPOSSIBLE because of the Vietnamese culture, they are too competitive and it's impossible to gather pharmacists together.

Hi everyone! We don't have a decent vietnamese restaurant where I live now since the viet population is very minimal. That is the only thing I really missed from san jose and new orleans.

Hi everyone! We don't have a decent vietnamese restaurant where I live now since the viet population is very minimal. That is the only thing I really missed from san jose and new orleans.

What do you mean?? I used to live 30 min from Buffalo and there are plenty of decent restaurant around!! Go out and explore the area!! ;)

a/s/l ?

I have to represent Vietnamese since I had no choice when I was born. =P And what better choice of remedy for a hang over than Pho? Of course I party hard after I study hard. (mind out of the gutter now guys or girls).

I must say, I am glad to hear that Pharmacy attracts a lot of vietnamese girls. I know my parents feel they are a lot closer to having a vietnamese daughter in-law. =P I chose Pharmacy purely for my career, but, hey, a 1/4 male to female ratio sounds fantastic to me. Chao em.

Anyone going to Western University for Pharmacy in 2009?

a/s/l ?

I have to represent Vietnamese since I had no choice when I was born. =P And what better choice of remedy for a hang over than Pho? Of course I party hard after I study hard. (mind out of the gutter now guys or girls).

I must say, I am glad to hear that Pharmacy attracts a lot of vietnamese girls. I know my parents feel they are a lot closer to having a vietnamese daughter in-law. =P I chose Pharmacy purely for my career, but, hey, a 1/4 male to female ratio sounds fantastic to me. Chao em.

I am male.

100% viet =D (as im told) but lots of people say i look mandarin...I'm not even sure what "mandarin" looks like

Fresh_Mandarin_Orange___Lugan__.jpg

isn't that what mandarin looks like?

Not only girls, Pharmacy is prefered field of any Vietnamese.

a/s/l ?