Vietnamese Roll Call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow this thread has made my day lol. We numbah wun, bic boooooooiii!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am taking Pcat this weekend and still have a hard time with verbal section. Does anyone have any good tips for us? The more I study for it, I realize that I know nothing.

Since we're all vietnamese in this thread, I would like to hear from you guys.

Thanks.

I made flashcards of all the GRE vocabs or any words I came across... Bring the flashcards with you everwhere and think of crazy mnemonic for each word... I came here when I was 18 and made 82% in verbal...

Hello everyone,

I'm vietnamese :D. I'm preparing for the MCAT and I'm having a lot of problems with the Verbal section. I wonder how everyone learns vocabulary? Do you learn them in english or vietnamese meaning? I have been learning new words by looking up their meaning in english and make sentences, but it seems not working. So I'm changing the way I study for new words. I learn their meanings in vietnamese to see if I can retain or remember them for a longer time.

Any suggestions?

I don't know if this is too late or not, but I would first read the instructions/tips/tricks at the beginning of the verbal section of many prep books, like Kaplan, for both MCAT/GRE/PCAT, and then pick a way that would work best for me...

One of the advices that I got from those books is to make up crazy story that links the word and its meaning and write the word on one side of a flash card, meaning and the mnemonic that you thought of on the other side... I would always use English to explain the word, as it broadens your vocal pool... (except if the vietnamese meaning can somehow trigger you to remember the word, then use it as a mnemonic).

Also, group all the words that have the same meaning together: for example all of the following: Enervate, palliate, mitigate, detumescence (of swelling), vitiate, attenuate... mean to lessen.

Hope it helps. :)

Hello everyone,

I'm vietnamese :D. I'm preparing for the MCAT and I'm having a lot of problems with the Verbal section. I wonder how everyone learns vocabulary? Do you learn them in english or vietnamese meaning? I have been learning new words by looking up their meaning in english and make sentences, but it seems not working. So I'm changing the way I study for new words. I learn their meanings in vietnamese to see if I can retain or remember them for a longer time.

Any suggestions?

PM me if you want Barron's 500 most used words, 2 files for analogies and reading . You can listen to them while driving, exercising (probably not :rolleyes:), about to sleep, nerding everywhere, etc...
OR there's a free flashcard program on Dictionary.com I found quite useful. Search for the keyword such as GRE vocab, Barron vocab, it'll spit out a bunch of lists. They have different methods to study the words such as mix/match, fill in the blank, ...
The key is to plan how many words you study a day and be consistent with them.

so i heard lots of vietnamese girls do pharmacy so i lurked on to this pre-pharmacy section. i come from pre-dental.

hopefully my dental school will have fine pharmacy girls

love vietgirls

no im not viet. im krn
:laugh:
dude, good news for you: I know some Viet girls/guys really dig krn drama. Maybe you can bait them!? LOL

I am so happy that I found this forum :) I'm Viet too. Can't believe that there are many Viets in such a American Forum. Anybody from East Coast ? :)

lol... soo funny with the roll call.

I'm an ABV! :laugh:
from Southern California

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, yes they are ;) The only Dave Matthews I like is when Paul Oakenfeld or whatever his name is is involved. Nothing wrong with techno remixes. However, if we're talking Matrix music, Rob Dougan takes the cake.

I don't really hate Dave Matthews, it's just that 99% of his fans make me want to die. You know, the teenybopper "omfg lyke <3 d4ve <3 is soOoOoO hawt! i lyke totally would make out with him!!!!!!!1 omfg!!!!!!1" fans, or the "let's go the concert to smoke pot!" fans. That, and I went to Bonnaroo (no, I don't smoke pot or do mushrooms or even drink alcohol!) and I had to decide between Bob Dylan, Mike Doughety (one of the guys from Soul Coughing), Yo La Tengo, and String Cheese Incident because they all had the same time slot so stupid Dave Matthews could have the 8.30 - midnight all to himself. That should have been Dylan's spot!!!!! Nobody will ever convince me that Dave Matthews is superior to Bob Dylan.

Hah, so yeah, that's my problem with Dave Matthews.

Aww...I miss seeing my wife post from across campus. Good times. She is as opinionated and spiteful towards humanity as me. *wipes tear*

aww, I'm glad there's a great number of vietnamese people spread out all over the country! :D

I was born and raised in Monterey Park, CA, which is predominantly Chinese. So I have to drive 30+ minutes to Little Saigon in OC county for some good PHO. :love:

im vietnamese too...n i was wondering if anybody got accepted and planning to notre dame of maryland? let me know:)

im vietnamese too...n i was wondering if anybody got accepted and planning to notre dame of maryland? let me know:)

So far, I got accepted to Notre Dame of Maryland and Jefferson, and I can't decide which is better for me yet :(

aww, I'm glad there's a great number of vietnamese people spread out all over the country! :D

I was born and raised in Monterey Park, CA, which is predominantly Chinese. So I have to drive 30+ minutes to Little Saigon in OC county for some good PHO. :love:

Ahhhh, I'm from Little Saigon! :D

:) vietnamese in da house. lol
From Northern California

Sullivan University, College of Pharmacy ( in Kentucky) class of 2014
hmm. i think there are about 50+ vietnamese students there right now ( all years combined)..

Ahhhh, I'm from Little Saigon! :D

That's cool! Hey D, is there anything going on for TET this year? I usually go there for the TET festival at one of those High Schools and Phuoc Loc Tho! :laugh:

My boyfriend lives in monterey park and we usually go eat pho at noodle city on garvey and new avenue. its pretty good so you dont have to drive all the way to bolsa for pho. he usually gets the dac biet xe lua and i get the bun bo hue. then we would order 2 orders of suong sa hat luu. we go there so often they know what we always get lol

yay! viet pride!..i guess that mean more competition with my fellow Vietnamese...jk

My boyfriend lives in monterey park and we usually go eat pho at noodle city on garvey and new avenue. its pretty good so you dont have to drive all the way to bolsa for pho. he usually gets the dac biet xe lua and i get the bun bo hue. then we would order 2 orders of suong sa hat luu. we go there so often they know what we always get lol

LOL.. I live down the BLOCK from there! Not Kidding. You're referring to the one on Florence/Garvey right? Yeah that place is alright. There are some better ones in El Monte ( another town more east that's Viet/Hispanic populated)
But then again I use a LOT, I mean LOTS of hoisen& Spriracha sauce with my pho, so PHO everywhere just taste the same to me. The only way I know if it's GOOD or not is from the after effect, Whether or not it makes me extremely dehydrated signify their usage of MSG.

So far, I got accepted to Notre Dame of Maryland and Jefferson, and I can't decide which is better for me yet :(

i have the same problem lik about a month ago when i got accepted at three different places n i lov all three campuses...i know how you feel...the best advice i can giv u is that can you see yourself living there for 4 years? or does the school cost less? n the living expenses is cheaper etc...? good luck on deciding

That's cool! Hey D, is there anything going on for TET this year? I usually go there for the TET festival at one of those High Schools and Phuoc Loc Tho! :laugh:

Yes! The festival will be going on for all 3 days during TET. Phuoc Loc Tho is started to get really crowded already!

Just study hard and smart. Took me 2 long months grinding everyday at barnes and noble. :eek:

I have a question. Did they ask you about your increase in PCAT scores? (did you have to show documentation to pearson since that's over 50% increase?) I just took mine yesterday and I think I did terribly. I'm worrying about my chances at admission now if I were to get a bad score on the first pcat. T____T blahhhhhhh!

how's everyone after Tet holiday :)...:laugh: wanna come to visit CA somedays

What's up guys!! Love the thread :). I am Vietnamese, French, and Chinese (weird I know) living in Southern California and I loveeeee kdramas lol :p

Hi everyone!

I'm viet/chinese as well, from Fresno CA, and will be attending University of the Pacific in Stockton this August.

My mom is Vietnamese, with some Cambodian, and my dad is Tri&#7873;u Châu Chinese. I don't speak Chinese at all, but I can speak Vietnamese conversationally, and not sound as awkward as most ABVs. I'm not ABV myself, but I was born at a refugee camp in Indonesia, and moved to Canada when I was 1. Somehow I ended up in Fresno though... :confused:

Anyways, nice to see us doing something other than working at nail salons. (I kid, my mom owns a nail salon.... )

Hi, I am also Vietnamese..from California.
Happy Valentine's Day from moi nguoi..hehe :)

how's everyone after Tet holiday :)...:laugh: wanna come to visit CA somedays

Tet o day buon qu'a.
or I dont see the spirit of TET in california where i live.
I hope to celebrate TEt in Vietnam someday..haven't been back there for 10 years..miss my country

____________________________________-
Sullivan University, College of Pharmacy, Kentucky
Class of 2014

What's up guys!! Love the thread :). I am Vietnamese, French, and Chinese (weird I know) living in Southern California and I loveeeee kdramas lol :p

wow, je parle und peu francais aussi. je susi de vous rencontrer...i took french for 5 years, but havent been practicing for about 3 years, so forgot alot..
I am 100% vietnamese and like Kdrams too.hehe

Hello, I'm Vietnamese :) Does anyone here study in Shenandoah University?

ok about the change in verbal,etc. but you still need to be able to be clear when you communicate to others(drs,pts,nurses,research coordinators),esp. with references to time.

Chinese Vietnamese here. I think most Vietnamese have got some Chinese in them from sometime or another ages ago ;) Nguoi Viet la so mot!!!

hey guys,

I am Vietnamese.
Are there any Vietnamese or Asian American pharmacy students from Northern California?... Just wanted to know more pharmacy students from the bay Area.hehe

I will be attending Sullivan University, College of PHarmacy in Kentucky this July as a first year pharmacy student. How about you guys?:) hmm, I heard that there are going to be about 10 Vietnamese students in my class for Class of 2014. The previous class has about 20 Vietnamese!

Last edited:
hey guys,

I am Vietnamese.
Are there any Vietnamese or Asian American pharmacy students from Northern California?... Just wanted to know more pharmacy students from the bay Area.hehe

I will be attending Sullivan University, College of PHarmacy in Kentucky this July as a first year pharmacy student. How about you guys?:) hmm, I heard that there are going to be about 10 Vietnamese students in my class for Class of 2014. The previous class has about 20 Vietnamese!

Dear all
I m 1st yr pharm student in the USN. Just tracked down my username n PW to log on seeing what's going on in admission this year. I forgot info of my account here.
My class now has 31 VN students..and we re doing pretty well.
PharmD2Be, you re going to SU ...you will see the school President , he 's VN too lol
Pharm. career is mostly of Asian guys...working hard n ofcourse smart too=)
I still have memory of last year waiting for any acceptance letters..now in school have to study a lot at this school of 3 yrs, but 1st almost gone...hope you guys at 4 yr program might be less busy...
Good luck :love: