Virginia Tech (~60% Scholarship) vs UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queenbeee

Reaction score
This may seem like a silly thread to post but I am having a hard time with this decision. For reference, I am from the southwest/currently live in CA. However, I don't necessarily have a desire to match here.

Virginia Tech
Pros

• 130k scholarship + low COL
  • Very supportive admin
  • P/F all four years
  • Seem to match pretty well considering their rank?
  • I like their curriculum set up (and special studies week which is essentially a week off after each block)
  • Smaller class size
  • NMBE exams

Cons
  • 2500 miles away and expensive to fly to/from- mom is not in great health and I worry about how fast I could get home if something serious happened
  • Lower rank/newer school, may or may not hinder me doing match
  • They don’t have a lot of in-house residency programs (anesthesiology specifically which I am interested in but not 100% committed to)
  • Very research-based but I’m unsure of how many service opportunities there are which is something I want to do

UCLA (Geffen)
Pros

• Very prestigious, seems like I could match wherever I want
  • Closer to family and support system
  • Enthusiastic student body and admin
  • Lots of groups/opportunities (ie service)/research/mentorship
  • P/F for pre clinical (unsure if the tiered grading system has changed for clerkships)

Cons
  • I don’t have a FA package but very high COL (hoping I could get need-based aid)
  • Old and cranky and not thrilled about living in LA
  • Admin didn’t seem very responsive during the cycle- may be because of covid? Current students say otherwise
  • I’m worried about being a guinea pig for the new curriculum
    • At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I’m worried about getting left behind in regards to the shortened preclinical years- imposter syndrome I guess
    • The calendar seems very busy- not sure when I am supposed to study?

Summary: I really liked VTC and I was very set on going there, but getting pulled off the waitlist for UCLA seems like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (especially because I was a definite underdog during this cycle). I am worried about the increased debt load though despite the large prestige and rank difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UCLA all the way. You won't regret going to the higher-ranked school close to your support system. UCLA pulled you because they thought you exemplified what they want in a student. You earned your spot and will excel.

Reactions: 2 users
Comparing costs...
VT seems like $340k - $130k tuition = $210k out of pocket
UCLA = $320k in state
Difference = $110k more for UCLA

More in-house programs and closer to family which seems important.

Reactions: 1 users
This may seem like a silly thread to post but I am having a hard time with this decision. For reference, I am from the southwest/currently live in CA. However, I don't necessarily have a desire to match here.

Virginia Tech
Pros

• 130k scholarship + low COL
  • Very supportive admin
  • P/F all four years
  • Seem to match pretty well considering their rank?
  • I like their curriculum set up (and special studies week which is essentially a week off after each block)
  • Smaller class size
  • NMBE exams

Cons
  • 2500 miles away and expensive to fly to/from- mom is not in great health and I worry about how fast I could get home if something serious happened
  • Lower rank/newer school, may or may not hinder me doing match
  • They don’t have a lot of in-house residency programs (anesthesiology specifically which I am interested in but not 100% committed to)
  • Very research-based but I’m unsure of how many service opportunities there are which is something I want to do

UCLA (Geffen)
Pros

• Very prestigious, seems like I could match wherever I want
  • Closer to family and support system
  • Enthusiastic student body and admin
  • Lots of groups/opportunities (ie service)/research/mentorship
  • P/F for pre clinical (unsure if the tiered grading system has changed for clerkships)

Cons
  • I don’t have a FA package but very high COL (hoping I could get need-based aid)
  • Old and cranky and not thrilled about living in LA
  • Admin didn’t seem very responsive during the cycle- may be because of covid? Current students say otherwise
  • I’m worried about being a guinea pig for the new curriculum
    • At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I’m worried about getting left behind in regards to the shortened preclinical years- imposter syndrome I guess
    • The calendar seems very busy- not sure when I am supposed to study?

Summary: I really liked VTC and I was very set on going there, but getting pulled off the waitlist for UCLA seems like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (especially because I was a definite underdog during this cycle). I am worried about the increased debt load though despite the large prestige and rank difference.
VT and less debt all the way. Your salary as an attending will be the same as any UCLA grad in your specialty.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was your award from VTC need-based ? If so, might you get a similar-sized package from UCLA ?
That's a good question. Everyone gets 30k (15k off M1 tuition + 5k for M2-M4). However, I received their IMPACT scholarship which required me to write two essays. So no I don't think it was strictly needs based, but they did require FAFSA + parental info, so maybe it was a factor.

I am a FAP recipient so I am hoping to get some aid from UCLA. However, I can't initiate that process because the tab for me to enter my SSN (and thus release my FAFSA to UCLA I guess? I sent my FAFSA to all my schools months ago but idk how that works) only pops up after I accept the UCLA acceptance, and my understanding is that I would have to drop the VTC acceptance immediately afterward. So if I pick UCLA I am kind of going in blind in regards to the FA package.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a good question. Everyone gets 30k (15k off M1 tuition + 5k for M2-M4). However, I received their IMPACT scholarship which required me to write two essays. So no I don't think it was strictly needs based, but they did require FAFSA + parental info, so maybe it was a factor.

I am a FAP recipient so I am hoping to get some aid from UCLA. However, I can't initiate that process because the tab for me to enter my SSN (and thus release my FAFSA to UCLA I guess? I sent my FAFSA to all my schools months ago but idk how that works) only pops up after I accept the UCLA acceptance, and my understanding is that I would have to drop the VTC acceptance immediately afterward. So if I pick UCLA I am kind of going in blind in regards to the FA package.
I believe you immediately accept the Acceptance, and then get the five business days to PTE for UCLA (yes holding two for those five days). This let's then start fin aid eval and you immediately calling them to indicste you have limited time and hope they can please complete it asap for your decision.

I believe you immediately accept the Acceptance, and then get the five business days to PTE for UCLA (yes holding two for those five days). This let's then start fin aid eval and you immediately calling them to indicste you have limited time and hope they can please complete it asap for your decision.
Thanks for this. I plan on calling them on Monday to double check.

UCLA. You have some very important family reasons to be there and it is a completely different tier of school. Be confident in yourself. You are not an imposter. You earned this.

Reactions: 1 user
UCLA I think.
You want to feel good where you're at. And plus 100K in the grand scheme of things isn't much. Especially if you choose a higher paid specialty.

Thanks everyone! I ended up choosing UCLA based mainly on location/proximity to family and needs based aid.

Reactions: 2 users