VIRMP Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistoffeles

RVC c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a repeat (and slightly silly) question, but I'm not really finding the information anywhere, so better to ask now than later, right? :)

VIRMP has a standardized application for all the internship programs to which you apply, which makes perfect sense. Part of this is your CV and intent letter. That makes sense as well.

However, most of the "sample" letters online are personalized - is this really possible? Or is there a recommendation to send an additional letter to each of your preferred programs? Or is it best to just have a strong generic letter of intent, and use the interview to personalize your application (and how does that work for Cornell, which doesn't do interviews)?

Thanks to anyone with thoughts or advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished writing a first draft of mine, and I kept it generic. Granted, it may be a bit different since I'm applying for lab animal residencies (rather than an internship), but I haven't heard of people writing letters directly to the programs.

Normally, I'd procrastinate more on something like this, but Lab Animal application materials are all due Nov. 3rd :eek:. That gives me ~2 weeks from the time it opens until everything needs to be in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not applying through VIRMP, but I wrote a very generic letter of intent for my internship applications (then tweaked it depending on the internship).

My set up was -
Paragraph 1: intro to me and my interest in the internship
Paragraph 2: why I want the internship/why it would be a good fit for me
Paragraph 3: goals for the internship

Simple, one page, to the point. Whether or not it will be successful...? I've got my fingers crossed.

However, most of the "sample" letters online are personalized - is this really possible?

Just curious were you found "sample" letters online? I've been looking and would love to see some but the closest I've found are med school letters which are a little less helpful... Thanks!