Virmp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StealthDog

U of MN 2010
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else applying for the match this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No but I will be next year. Any suggestions on narrowing down the list will be happily received! I am interested in small animal and have no geographic ties which is making things difficult--too many options!

Next year for me, too...

StealthDog, what are you going to go for? Are you definitely planning on pursuing a residency, or still thinking about it, or definitely deciding against it? Details, details! :)

Angelo84, I think it greatly depends on why you want to do an internship...plenty of places/things to consider depending on what your career goals are (or how narrowly or broadly they are being defined at the moment)...I think you could get a bunch of help if you let us know what you're thinking of doing after an internship. :) i.e., what options are still on the table.

Very exciting! Wow, SDN will have seen us through all the way from pre-vets to applying for the match...!! Jeez.

I'm looking for a private practice small animal rotating internship at a clinic that at least sees exotics- ideally, it would be a clinic that offers a rotation through their exotics service. I don't think I want to do a residency, but I'd like to eventually get ABVP boarded in exotic companion mammals (I love me my bunnies :) ). But who knows, that could always change partway into an internship!

How about you? Any thoughts yet or still deciding on what you're aiming for?

Whoo-hoo! Sounds like you could be happy in a lot of different places--which is both a blessing and a curse! :) Nice to have all the choices, hard to narrow down...

Eep, I barely even want to say it because I don't want to jinx it...but I want to do a neuro residency. :)

My reasoning is probably the same as many others. I am hoping the internship will push me toward or away from residency. If I go for the residency ECC or Internal Medicine. If not general practice that sees emergencies with an interest in medicine!

I like the cases in ECC, the long(er) term relationships in IM/GP, and the hours are clearly better in GP/IM.

We are currently working out our schedules for clinics (start in March!)--I may only have four weeks of elective time to check places out before apps are due so I am trying to come up some sort of list sooner rather than later. I have talked to professors and plan on talking to the residents I work with to see where they went and what are good questions to ask of current/past interns about internships.

I will likely apply to both academic and private internships. So I'm still at what 200 options??

Do any of you know if there is a difference between the internships listed under internship emergency-small animal and the internship-small animal medicine/surgery?

Allie-- have you considered doing an externship at Tufts--our neuro service is busy! We are having a run on wobblers at the moment.

An internship in small animal medicine and surgery is a typical rotating internship. You spend time on medicine and surgery services, sometimes also specialties such as neurology, ophthalmology, derm, etc. along with a variable amount of emergency duty ranging from occasional to a lot.

An internship in emergency medicine focuses on emergency and in some cases critical care. In some cases you also rotate with medicine, surgery and specialty services but not always and not as much as with a rotating internship.

So if you are committed to emergency medicine, an emergency internship may be the way to go. Otherwise, a rotating internship will provide a more balanced exposure.

For the details, you need to look at the individual program's description. In many cases though, I would also talk with someone who has recently completed the program. What's in the written description may or may not be particularly accurate, especially when it comes to private practice programs.

Angelo, your plan sounds great--I know a lot of folks who use their internship to decide their specialty of interest. In fact, that's what I had planned on doing during my internship; however, I was lucky enough to have an experience this summer (in the other field I was considering) that defined my direction.

Tufts neuro department is awesome--one of my friends is a medicine resident there and I've heard many good things!! However, I'm looking at doing externships at the most likely places I'll be applying for internships--and all my externships will be neuro, since we don't have a neurologist here at K-State. (I worked with one for three years, which is how I grew to be obsessed with it.)

I'm not brave enough to say where I'm applying for my externships/internships especially with Bill on here and not knowing what institution/specialty he's affiliated with. ;)

It's so exciting to hear about everyone's plans...we just got our fourth-year schedules and I know what you mean about fitting externships in before applications are due. :(

btw, if you're looking for a tremendous private practice ECC externship, I spent a fabulous two weeks at a well-known place in Milwaukee. I highly highly recommend it--PM me if you're interested.

I'm not brave enough to say where I'm applying for my externships/internships especially with Bill on here and not knowing what institution/specialty he's affiliated with. ;)

Don't worry. 5 minutes after I log off I can't even remember what I posted, much less what everybody else posts.

When do you typically do externships? There is a volunteer thing that I wanted to do possibly during August before my 4th year, but if that is going to interfere with externships then maybe I shouldn't. Do you do them during the academic year in your final year, or are they done on breaks in your 3rd and 4th years?

At this point (it could obviously change) I am sure I want to do an internship (likely a residency). How many different places do you extern at? Are externships typically 2 weeks, or are they longer? What exactly do you do as an extern?

Also, I am finiding that my courses are mainly taught by a bunch of different professors (maybe its only in 1st year). How do you get 3-6 LORs when you barely get a chance to interact/demonstrate your abilities to them?

Don't worry. 5 minutes after I log off I can't even remember what I posted, much less what everybody else posts.

Ah, yes, unless I said I was applying for an externship at your institution in hopes of doing an internship there.... ;) Then perhaps you'd look a little closer, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you typically do externships?
There is a volunteer thing that I wanted to do possibly during August before my 4th year, but if that is going to interfere with externships then maybe I shouldn't. Do you do them during the academic year in your final year, or are they done on breaks in your 3rd and 4th years?

Generally they are done during your clinical year. Most schools you don't get a break between your third and fourth year. We start clinics in March of third year and then go straight through until graduation.

At this point (it could obviously change) I am sure I want to do an internship (likely a residency). How many different places do you extern at? Are externships typically 2 weeks, or are they longer? What exactly do you do as an extern?

Depends on the place. Zoo externships are generally longer. You can do week long externships as well. What you do depends on where you go ranges from shadowing to actively participating in appointments/surgery etc.

Also, I am finiding that my courses are mainly taught by a bunch of different professors (maybe its only in 1st year). How do you get 3-6 LORs when you barely get a chance to interact/demonstrate your abilities to them?

You need letters from the faculty you work with during clinics not your lecture courses.

Thanks Bill that explains the overlap I was seeing. I had thought that the emergency small animal would be for people that had already complete a rotating internship but that didn't seem to be how the descriptions were written.

An internship in small animal medicine and surgery is a typical rotating internship. You spend time on medicine and surgery services, sometimes also specialties such as neurology, ophthalmology, derm, etc. along with a variable amount of emergency duty ranging from occasional to a lot.

An internship in emergency medicine focuses on emergency and in some cases critical care. In some cases you also rotate with medicine, surgery and specialty services but not always and not as much as with a rotating internship.

So if you are committed to emergency medicine, an emergency internship may be the way to go. Otherwise, a rotating internship will provide a more balanced exposure.

For the details, you need to look at the individual program's description. In many cases though, I would also talk with someone who has recently completed the program. What's in the written description may or may not be particularly accurate, especially when it comes to private practice programs.

You need letters from the faculty you work with during clinics not your lecture courses.

Oh ok. By clinics do you mean rotations? Don't they typically start in 4th year? If you don't do rotations until 4th year and the application is due in December...you have like 3 months to get letters? That doesn't really seem long enough...

Oh ok. By clinics do you mean rotations? Don't they typically start in 4th year? If you don't do rotations until 4th year and the application is due in December...you have like 3 months to get letters? That doesn't really seem long enough...

Remember you start clinics/rotations in May....so that's about 7 months. They recommend asking for letters before/by Oct 1 to give them enough time to write them.

Thanks Bill that explains the overlap I was seeing. I had thought that the emergency small animal would be for people that had already complete a rotating internship but that didn't seem to be how the descriptions were written.

That's a good point. Some of the emergency internships are designed for those who've completed a rotating internship, for example at UGA. This is also the case for the other specialty internships like surgery, oncology and neurology.

Ah, yes, unless I said I was applying for an externship at your institution in hopes of doing an internship there.... ;) Then perhaps you'd look a little closer, no?

Not really. It's hard enough can to get through the 100s of LORs, transcripts and applications. I doubt many people are going to spend time trying to track down everyone on the internet. Besides ... no offense, but I don't really care what anyone says on the internet.

Is anyone else applying this year? I need someone to commiserate with about writing yet another personal statement! I am stuck...

I applied to the 2010-11 internship programs in small animal medicine and surgery. Why the question?