Visa for Australia Externship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exotic birb

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a current 3rd year student in the US with two externships lined up in Australia. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on what visa to apply for? I'll be staying for about a month. Curious if other people just did a general tourism visa and shadowed at different clinics, or did they do the Work and Holiday Visa -- which costs $510 AUD!! I want to be sure to apply for the right one.

Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am a current 3rd year student in the US with two externships lined up in Australia. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on what visa to apply for? I'll be staying for about a month. Curious if other people just did a general tourism visa and shadowed at different clinics, or did they do the Work and Holiday Visa -- which costs $510 AUD!! I want to be sure to apply for the right one.

Are you receiving any pay or compensation like free housing? If you are than you would need a work visa. My suggestion would be to call the Home Affairs Global Service Centre in Australia and ask them. You want to make sure you have the right visa so you don't get turned away at immigration.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you receiving any pay or compensation like free housing? If you are than you would need a work visa. My suggestion would be to call the Home Affairs Global Service Centre in Australia and ask them. You want to make sure you have the right visa so you don't get turned away at immigration.

No, I’m not receiving any type compensation (that’d be nice). I did more reading on the general holiday visa (ETA) and I think it actually works for my purposes. I can study/train in Australia with it just can’t do it for more than 3 months. If I was being paid it’d qualify as work and I’d need something different. Thank god because those visas get pricy and take a while to process! You’re right though, I should probably double check. Thanks so much for responding :)

Hi everyone,

Hello! Could I ask where your Australia externships are and what you think of them if you've now completed them? I'm a third year student looking to schedule an Australia externship. Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user