Visiting a school for LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spottedcory

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be worth paying a visit to a campus, honoring COVID guidelines ofc, that I'm waitlisted at so that I have a more compelling LOI? (My parents are pushing to do this but I feel like it's super extra)

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be worth paying a visit to a campus, honoring COVID guidelines ofc, that I'm waitlisted at so that I have a more compelling LOI? (My parents are pushing to do this but I feel like it's super extra)
It's not just super extra. In a world where ALL in person application activities have been cancelled (interviews and second looks) it is extremely likely that it would be forbidden.

What makes your parents think that administrators would have any interest at all in hosting you, as someone who did not even receive an initial A, while not offering the opportunity to actual, presently admitted candidates? What makes them think that the school has the same interest in your demonstration of interest that you and your parents have?

Do what you think is right. I think it would totally backfire if you tried, because it would show a total lack of awareness of the global pandemic and its impact on everyone, including you and your application, and such a demonstration of selfishness and inability to read a situation could only hurt you. JMHO as a human being also adversely impacted in my daily life by an inconvenient situation that has resulted in over 500,000 American deaths, including 2,266 YESTERDAY.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not just super extra. In a world where ALL in person application activities have been cancelled (interviews and second looks) it is extremely likely that it would be forbidden.

What makes your parents think that administrators would have any interest at all in hosting you, as someone who did not even receive an initial A, while not offering the opportunity to actual, presently admitted candidates? What makes them think that the school has the same interest in your demonstration of interest that you and your parents have?

Do what you think is right. I think it would totally backfire if you tried, because it would show a total lack of awareness of the global pandemic and its impact on everyone, including you and your application, and such a demonstration of selfishness and inability to read a situation could only hurt you. JMHO as a human being also adversely impacted in my daily life by an inconvenient situation that has resulted in over 500,000 American deaths.
A long drive, maintaining distance, not staying in a hotel, etc is what I meant by honoring COVID-19 guidelines. We'd just be touring the surrounding city, not requesting a host, or eating in stores, or even going on campus, or anything like that. We'd also wait to be fully vaccinated (but still distancing and wearing masks). While I still think it might be a waste of effort, my family would not have proposed it if they thought they couldn't do so while keeping risk to a minimum. And I posted on here precisely because I'm not sure if the school would have the same interest in my demonstration of interest lol

Members don't see this ad :)
A long drive, maintaining distance, not staying in a hotel, etc is what I meant by honoring COVID-19 guidelines. We'd just be touring the surrounding city, not requesting a host, or eating in stores, or even going on campus, or anything like that. We'd also wait to be fully vaccinated (but still distancing and wearing masks). While I still think it might be a waste of effort, my family would not have proposed it if they thought they couldn't do so while keeping risk to a minimum.
I understand, and I'm honestly only trying to help you. I don't see how touring a city or a campus while on a WL demonstrates interest, as opposed to desperation, but you should definitely do what feels right. I just think telling the school about it in a LOI will be a terrible look, given the current situation, and will backfire.

I'm in the process of getting vaccinated now (one down, one to go!), and I definitely feel less vulnerable than at any time since last March, but that doesn't mean s**t in the scheme of things while most people are still not vaccinated and I could still be a spreader. As you said, masking, distancing, etc. are still in effect, and are still necessary, since while COVID stats are down 75% from the recent peak, they are still higher than during the first spike last spring. If schools had any desire to have us come out of our bubble to demonstrate interest, they'd host socially distanced second looks for admitted students.

Exactly what, other than desperation, do your parents think will be demonstrated by a long drive to a distant city, without a visit to campus, before you have a spot in the class? Again, do it if it makes you and your parents feel better prepared in case the A comes, but PLEEEZE don't tell the school about it! :)

Last edited:
I understand, and I'm honestly only trying to help you. I don't see how touring a city or a campus while on a WL demonstrates interest, as opposed to desperation, but you should definitely do what feels right. I just think telling the school about it in a LOI will be a terrible look, given the current situation, and will backfire.

I'm in the process of getting vaccinated now (one down, one to go!), and I definitely feel less vulnerable than at any time since last March, but that doesn't mean s**t in the scheme of things while most people are still not vaccinated and I could still be a spreader. As you said, masking, distancing, etc. are still in effect, and are still necessary, as COVID stats are down 75% from the recent peak and are still higher than during the first spike last spring. If schools had any desire to have us come out of our bubble to demonstrate interest, they'd host socially distanced second looks.

Exactly what, other than desperation, do your parents think will be demonstrated by a long drive to a distant city, without a visit to campus, before you have been a spot in the class? Again, do it if it makes you feel better prepared in case the A comes, but PLEEEZE don't tell the school about it! :)
I think the idea is that I can include more specifics and speak about the area from a personal POV as opposed to going online. I wouldn't be like "I was in the area visiting your campus," it would just be like "While in the city, I loved the vibe and could see myself hiking here or doing something over there."

Reactions: 1 user
I think the idea is that I can include more specifics and speak about the area from a personal POV as opposed to going online. I wouldn't be like "I was in the area visiting your campus," it would just be like "While in the city, I loved the vibe and could see myself hiking here or doing something over there."
I guess that could work, although there really is no reason you can't do that research and say those things without actually making the trip. As long as you don't mention that you made a special trip during the pandemic, this won't hurt. This morphed from what was in your OP to something that just doesn't seem necessary, but at least won't turn anyone off. Good luck!!!

Of course , as everything’s is, this is your decision, although I think there is much parental pressure involved. It might be a nice trip with your parents but I really don’t think it will matter one bit to the ADCOMS. When they look to pull someone off the waitlist , I think the primary consideration is fit for the currently accepted class. Whether you like the vibe of a particular area is secondary to how you will fill out the class. I suppose another consideration is when do you plan this adventure? Where I live it is still very hard to get the vaccine. As @KinghtDoc has repeatedly said, be very careful how you present this.

This is fine, and as far as I would go. I would be very, very wary of mentioning traveling during a pandemic -- even "safe" traveling. It demonstrates a certain flaunting of the rules and disregard for others that could have a net negative effect on your app.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a two-edged sword. My DO colleagues love it when people come visit and chat them up, as it shows true interest in the profession.

On the other hand I have seen wise adcom members common in these fora that this can come off as stalker-ish Behavior.