Visiting Admissions Office Tomorrow: What to Ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JubJub603

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be visiting my top choice school's admissions office tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had done this before / had any recommendations on what to ask them. Basically I want to let them know that they are my top choice and that I will go there if I get accepted. I also figure it can't hurt to show a little face and extra interest.

What should I ask though? So far I just plan on asking for more information about the school, being friendly, and asking them how I should inform them of my intention to go there should I be accepted (they do not have an ED program). Is there anything else you would ask/say?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't ask how you inform them if you get accepted. I'd guess that's the same for most schools and by asking that, it may seem a little presumptuous and make you come off as being a little arrogant (like that you already assume you will get in). I would make your interest in the school clear, but I don't see any point in telling them that they are your top choice. I'd just say that they are one of your top choices and that you are very interested. A couple questions I would ask:

What features set you apart from other similarly ranked institutions?

Are students considered "in-state" after the first year?

Look over the pre-reqs and, if you don't meet some of them outright, ask about possible other classes that may work.

How do your students do in the match?

I wouldn't ask how you inform them if you get accepted. I'd guess that's the same for most schools and by asking that, it may seem a little presumptuous and make you come off as being a little arrogant (like that you already assume you will get in). I would make your interest in the school clear, but I don't see any point in telling them that they are your top choice. I'd just say that they are one of your top choices and that you are very interested. A couple questions I would ask:

What features set you apart from other similarly ranked institutions?

Are students considered "in-state" after the first year?

Look over the pre-reqs and, if you don't meet some of them outright, ask about possible other classes that may work.

Good advices. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does this mean? I'm not familiar with this wording... do you mean residence matching?

Thanks for the previous advice as well; you made some good points.

So have you made an appointment or something? Or are you going to show up unannounced expecting someone who's probably busy doing a million other things to drop everything to answer your vague questions. I'm not saying don't do it, but also don't overestimate how much benefit this unsolicited show of interest will actually help you. I might just save the "face time" and questions for the interview, should you get one. (sorry if any of this sounded unduly harsh. I just have a hard time believing that an admissions office really looks forward to this type of interaction...)

So have you made an appointment or something? Or are you going to show up unannounced expecting someone who's probably busy doing a million other things to drop everything to answer your vague questions. I'm not saying don't do it, but also don't overestimate how much benefit this unsolicited show of interest will actually help you. I might just save the "face time" and questions for the interview, should you get one. (sorry if any of this sounded unduly harsh. I just have a hard time believing that an admissions office really looks forward to this type of interaction...)

+1 I had the same concern/question upon reading this post.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does this mean? I'm not familiar with this wording... do you mean residence matching?

Yep, you got it. See if they have any statistics/insight into how many students matched into their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for residency. Also, I'd suggest calling or emailing ahead before you visit to set up a meeting time. I've stopped by 2 schools (I was in the areas and thought it would be a good use of a few hours), once with an appointment and once without. The one with the appointment went much more smoothly, but both were helpful.

What the...? May I ask WHY you thought this was a good idea?

For one, if you made an appointment(which I'm hoping not), you're taking up someone's precious time out of their busy day to talk to one dude that they haven't even offered a secondary application to to talk about information you could find on the school's website. Your meeting is going to be awkward and you might even catch whoever your host is staring at his watch from time to time. Best case scenario: they think you're okay and forget about you as soon as you leave. Worst case scenario: they are frustrated that they took an hour out of their day to give some college dude some easily-accessible information.

If you were planning on dropping in, DON'T! Just walk around the school if they let you! You don't need to talk to ANYONE who has decision-making abilities at that school. Your presence can only hurt you.

Why oh why are you doing this? You're essentially setting yourself up for an on-the-spot interview completely unprepared with a faculty member who isn't excited to see you. What are you going to wear? A suit? That seems a little formal. Just a shirt and tie? Wow...you're sure night trying hard enough. It's a freakin' lose-lose situation.

You'll see the school when/if you interview, dude! You'll have an opportunity to tell them how great they are at your interview! Just calling and inviting yourself over is presumptuous and I don't think you're helping yourself.

But anyways, good luck.

What the...? May I ask WHY you thought this was a good idea?

For one, if you made an appointment(which I'm hoping not), you're taking up someone's precious time out of their busy day to talk to one dude that they haven't even offered a secondary application to to talk about information you could find on the school's website. Your meeting is going to be awkward and you might even catch whoever your host is staring at his watch from time to time. Best case scenario: they think you're okay and forget about you as soon as you leave. Worst case scenario: they are frustrated that they took an hour out of their day to give some college dude some easily-accessible information.

If you were planning on dropping in, DON'T! Just walk around the school if they let you! You don't need to talk to ANYONE who has decision-making abilities at that school. Your presence can only hurt you.

Why oh why are you doing this? You're essentially setting yourself up for an on-the-spot interview completely unprepared with a faculty member who isn't excited to see you. What are you going to wear? A suit? That seems a little formal. Just a shirt and tie? Wow...you're sure night trying hard enough. It's a freakin' lose-lose situation.

You'll see the school when/if you interview, dude! You'll have an opportunity to tell them how great they are at your interview! Just calling and inviting yourself over is presumptuous and I don't think you're helping yourself.

But anyways, good luck.

I disagree. I made appointments to meet with the dean of admissions to my top two medical schools and they were both extremely beneficial. I think that both of the deans saw the genuine interest that I had in their school and enjoyed giving me personal advice on how I could be a more attractive candidate at their particular school (I scheduled this meeting one year before I actually applied). I ended up gaining acceptance at both of these schools, and although I can't say that the meetings were the sole reason for this, they definitely did NOT hurt me. So don't get discouraged, go to the meeting, and good luck! :luck:

If it's an open house event, you won't have much time to ask many questions anyway. Just ask a few questions about match rates, student life, rotation options etc.

I will also recommend that you DON'T tell them they are your top choice at this point.

It is very very early in the process and a lot can change. What happens if you fall in love with another school on the interview trail? What happens if someone offers you a scholarship? etc.

Don't make a statement you can't keep so early on.

I will also recommend that you DON'T tell them they are your top choice at this point.

i concur. you would come off as an over-eager kid.

instead, ask questions to assure yourself they are your top choice.