1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Visiting schools....worth it?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by VenusFlyTrap, Apr 13, 2007.

1. VenusFlyTrap

VenusFlyTrap New Member

Psychology Student
    Hello everyone.... I was wondering if any of u have plans on visiting any of the schools u r applying to? the ones that r within driving distance that is. When I say visit i don't mean just a tour. Have you visited the director of admissions? or the dean or some one of some sort of importance? I am thinking about visiting a couple but am not so sure wut exactly i should write in the e-mail. any input is greatly appreciated. Wish u all the best on the application process.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EmanUT

EmanUT Senior Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    It's up to you. In my pre-dental club, we tour a dental school each semester. We meet with a D1, D2, D3 and D4 and talk about their experiences. Someone from the admissions office also gives a presentation and we are allowed to ask questions. If you are in your pre-dental club, then ask and see if there are any organized trips.

As for going on your own, I don't know have effective that would be. In order to be accepted to dental school, you must attend an interview. You are given a full tour of the school, interact with students, meet with financial aid and talk with the admissions office at your interview. Remember, these are very busy individuals with schools receiving between 2000-4000 applications. Taking time out of their busy schedules for someone who isn't even applying might not be high on their priority list. I am sure they are open to answering any questions by e-mail, so that might be a good way to get in touch with them.

4. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    If you are meeting the director of admission for a one on one meeting, I don't see how that can hurt you. If anything it should help get your foot in the door.

5. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero

Dental Student
    i would just wait until you get interviews.

6. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member

Dentist
    If it is within driving distance call the school and ask if you can come and how much they are willing to accomodate you. Ask if you can shadow a D3 or D4 in the clinic for an hour or meet with an admissions officer to ask questions. Depending on how accomodating they are, it may be worth your time. I know that having gone to some schools, I wrote them off as not worth applying to.

I agree just getting a tour isn't all that helpful, but it can be nice. But sitting down with a D3 in clinic can tell you a lot about the school.

7. 92CamaroLS1

Dentist
    I visted ASDOH, but it was just cuz i was on vacation near there...wasnt a formal tour just looked around a little (very nice BTW). Also toured another school....nice to just check it out if you have some free time and its not too far.

8. VenusFlyTrap

VenusFlyTrap New Member

Psychology Student
    thank you all for replying..... i will e-mail the schools and take it from there. Take care