VMCAS Questions and Rants c/o 2030

Started by stinkydog
Tags Tags
gpa vmcas
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a thread on here someone can link/recommend for good interview tips, potential questions, and info I should just have on hand (ie. why I wanna be a vet, why this program, etc)?
I’ve put together a list of potential questions and know some will be unpredictable but any tips are appreciated🙂

Edit: I wanted to add that I’ve done mock interviews with my schools pre health committee but it was in a general interview format but the schools I’m interviewing with are mmi format
General word of caution, but if you catch wind of any current interview questions, try not to rehearse them too much. We can tell when you've heard the question already. We can also tell if you are reading something or giving AI a few seconds to catch up and spit out a paragraph for you to read (for virtual interviews)...your eyes move when you read no matter how slick you think you're being, and cadence naturally changes when you are reading something lol.

Nervousness, stammering, brief pauses to collect thoughts, asking me to repeat the questions, etc do not bother me in the slightest. What tends to come across poorly is giving a very superficial answer to a question, or barely answering the question at all and ending with '....and stuff like that.' Also, in MMI settings, you are allotted a chunk of time but you don't necessarily need to take up the entire time. Not taking up the whole time leads to awkward silence (we literally cannot make small talk) but it doesn't mean you'll get dinged. Same for taking up the whole time - if you're just blabbing random stuff without substance, taking up the whole time doesn't benefit you either.

Some schools may ask you some really hard hitting and uncomfortable questions (think ethical/morality questions, euthanasia situations, etc.) and barring any really 'out there' or concerning answers, they aren't looking for you to say yes vs. no as much as they are looking for your thought process and how you approach your decisions.
 
I cannot emphasize enough not to read off a screen if it's virtual.
I bring it up because last year (I did interviews for two schools, and one of those schools I did several days of their MMIs) someone would take a deliberate pause after I read the question, and then I can all but guarantee they were reading a paragraph that AI spit out. You could see their eyes moving, and they paused a few more times and it seemed they were waiting for the paragraph generation to catch up before continuing. Several others later in the interview day/weeks of interviews, for both schools, likely got a hold of the questions through peers and had drafted their answers ahead of time and were reading from those because the content was more sincere.

With the number of applicants that are using AI to complete VMCAS/supplementals, this doesn't surprise me at all, but if we have suspicions we are absolutely reporting those instances to the adcoms. What they do with it, idk, because we can't definitively prove anything of course, but it's not a good look to be so obviously reading something off during an interview. If you really can't get through the interview without help, you're not ready for vet school.

ETA: And I guess another tidbit...if you have experience in something that could be seen as controversial, I'd avoid bringing it up during the interview unless directly asked about it. I still remember the applicant that repeatedly brought up their experience involving what very much sounded like a roadside zoo/pay to play type facility, and they did not know that they were being interviewed by myself (zoo) and a very prominent zoo faculty member at that school. And that was not even an open file interview, so they volunteered that info repeatedly and in very certain contexts that did not do them any favors. Like bringing up situations that as a zoo person, were so clearly sketchy and dangerous (free contact with certain species, for example). Interviews are as objective as possible, but that does not mean interviewers don't use their own backgrounds/experiences/opinions to decide on your rating. The hard part is knowing whether or not you've got something controversial, I guess, but that would take some self-reflection and awareness I suppose. Also if it's not open file or you aren't being asked to share about a specific experience/'time where you did....' it's because we don't need that info.
ETA x2: And I mean they were using these situations they described to back up certain things they were saying, or to flaunt their experience (which you should do, when appropriate!) but it just took a lot for us not to cringe the whole time. I wouldn't necessarily ding a person just because of the experience they have, it was moreso how they were utilizing it to answer the questions being asked. It makes less sense when I try to keep it vague lol.

I was absolutely grilled on my zoo experience during my UF interview (an open file interview) back in the day, and they grilled me about Blackfish (very hot at the time), my thoughts on it, and why I was still interested in zoo after that came out. In hindsight, they probably went too far, but I had enough practice dealing with off the wall questions thanks to my job at the time that I did well enough to get accepted. I knew the zoo faculty at UF at the time and it wasn't them, so I've always assumed it was someone who held specific opinions about zoos/aquariums.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was absolutely grilled on my zoo experience during my UF interview (an open file interview) back in the day, and they grilled me about Blackfish (very hot at the time), my thoughts on it, and why I was still interested in zoo after that came out. In hindsight, they probably went too far, but I had enough practice dealing with off the wall questions thanks to my job at the time that I did well enough to get accepted. I knew the zoo faculty at UF at the time and it wasn't them, so I've always assumed it was someone who held specific opinions about zoos/aquariums.
I have been very anxious about this going into my interviews. I am coming from a well-known animal welfare org with strong stances on lab animals.
I’m not a vegetarian, I love an accredited zoo, etc. but I was part of the Envigo beagle rescue and even have a few of them as clients at my clinic now. I left that off of my application.
I feel comfortable speaking about what I do know, but I don’t know how to speak favorably about lab animals because the only side I have seen has been horrific.
 
I feel comfortable speaking about what I do know, but I don’t know how to speak favorably about lab animals because the only side I have seen has been horrific.
No one is asking you to change your opinion for an interview or to lie about your stance, but you should be able to give your point of view and reasons why AND ALSO keep in mind that the person you’re talking to may be a lab animal vet who has made it their career caring for and protecting lab animals to the best of their ability, a researcher who’s research requires animal models, or just someone who has the opposite stance as you. Same for vegetarianism/veganism you might be talking to a food animal veterinarian who eats meat, anti-zoo people, etc etc etc. Share your opinion as you’d like when asked, but remain respectful of other people’s views as you answer, stay open minded if possible, and maybe acknowledge the other side or the possibility that the group you’ve aligned yourself with may be providing only part of the picture. Part of the interview “game” is often seeing how someone handles their opinion being challenged or asked to explain further.
 
I have been very anxious about this going into my interviews. I am coming from a well-known animal welfare org with strong stances on lab animals.
I’m not a vegetarian, I love an accredited zoo, etc. but I was part of the Envigo beagle rescue and even have a few of them as clients at my clinic now. I left that off of my application.
I feel comfortable speaking about what I do know, but I don’t know how to speak favorably about lab animals because the only side I have seen has been horrific.
I would be honest, but without personal bias if it were me (and you are asked). Explain what you do know, acknowledge what you don't. Especially if your only experience is one event.

Along the lines of vegetarian/veganism - you have made choices for yourself, but that does not mean that others have to follow suit/does not discount the importance of veterinary involvement in food safety/welfare of food animals.
 
I have been very anxious about this going into my interviews. I am coming from a well-known animal welfare org with strong stances on lab animals.
I’m not a vegetarian, I love an accredited zoo, etc. but I was part of the Envigo beagle rescue and even have a few of them as clients at my clinic now. I left that off of my application.
I feel comfortable speaking about what I do know, but I don’t know how to speak favorably about lab animals because the only side I have seen has been horrific.
As a little aside, I wasn’t sure if I’d be grilled or questioned about my particular specific knowledge/experiences because I have some niche interests and built my app around it. It made me nervous, but honestly, if a school says closed file, they mean it! If that helps at all to put your mind at ease.

I think re: lab vets, I think you don’t have to focus on favorably speaking, but not passing judgment. You’ve only seen one facet of the industry, but you haven’t seen all of it. So, as others have said, if asked, focus on your own personal experiences, use “I” statements, and avoid making sweeping arguments. I think you’ll be fine!
 
As a little aside, I wasn’t sure if I’d be grilled or questioned about my particular specific knowledge/experiences because I have some niche interests and built my app around it. It made me nervous, but honestly, if a school says closed file, they mean it! If that helps at all to put your mind at ease.

I think re: lab vets, I think you don’t have to focus on favorably speaking, but not passing judgment. You’ve only seen one facet of the industry, but you haven’t seen all of it. So, as others have said, if asked, focus on your own personal experiences, use “I” statements, and avoid making sweeping arguments. I think you’ll be fine!
Thank you!! This was my plan- not to pass judgement but to explain the parts that I have seen, only based on my experience, if asked. I just didn’t know if I was “expected” to know the other side of what I have seen!
 
I would be honest, but without personal bias if it were me (and you are asked). Explain what you do know, acknowledge what you don't. Especially if your only experience is one event.

Along the lines of vegetarian/veganism - you have made choices for yourself, but that does not mean that others have to follow suit/does not discount the importance of veterinary involvement in food safety/welfare of food animals.
That was my plan!

Also I’m not a vegetarian or vegan. I actually worked on legislature for veterinarians to have more authority in food animal welfare. I just mentioned that as perspective that I have been able to understand two sides of the coin for a lot of “animal welfare” issues, I just haven’t had the opportunity to see anything for lab animals other than the worst of the worst, which made me nervous to speak on it if I’m asked.
 
Thank you!! This was my plan- not to pass judgement but to explain the parts that I have seen, only based on my experience, if asked. I just didn’t know if I was “expected” to know the other side of what I have seen!
You can't know what you haven't seen! I think it would be very mature and self-aware to say something like "well I've seen this and it sucked, but I do know that's not the whole story.'
 
That was my plan!

Also I’m not a vegetarian or vegan. I actually worked on legislature for veterinarians to have more authority in food animal welfare. I just mentioned that as perspective that I have been able to understand two sides of the coin for a lot of “animal welfare” issues, I just haven’t had the opportunity to see anything for lab animals other than the worst of the worst, which made me nervous to speak on it if I’m asked.
Just to chime in on lab animals real quick, I was nervous about switching to research after working as a zookeeper. Quite the change from personal connections to animals to give them the best life to impersonal research procedures and euthanasias. I learned that there is actually a LOT that goes into determining what can actually be done to lab animals and it is quite regulated. That said, some people will decide to do things off protocol but if they get caught, there are actual severe consequences. And the regulations are in place to limit suffering and numbers of animals used etc
 
I bring it up because last year (I did interviews for two schools, and one of those schools I did several days of their MMIs) someone would take a deliberate pause after I read the question, and then I can all but guarantee they were reading a paragraph that AI spit out. You could see their eyes moving, and they paused a few more times and it seemed they were waiting for the paragraph generation to catch up before continuing. Several others later in the interview day/weeks of interviews, for both schools, likely got a hold of the questions through peers and had drafted their answers ahead of time and were reading from those because the content was more sincere.
During one of my MMI's (it was a pre-recorded question and response) I was asked a question that involved looking at a photo. The photo on my screen was small and grainy, so I leaned in and squinted a bit to try to see it better. Now I'm worried they might have thought I was reading from a prompt 😬 I didn't even think about that possibility in the moment. I did mention in my interview/response that the photo was small and I was trying my best to analyze what details I could see, hopefully that helps?
 
During one of my MMI's (it was a pre-recorded question and response) I was asked a question that involved looking at a photo. The photo on my screen was small and grainy, so I leaned in and squinted a bit to try to see it better. Now I'm worried they might have thought I was reading from a prompt 😬 I didn't even think about that possibility in the moment. I did mention in my interview/response that the photo was small and I was trying my best to analyze what details I could see, hopefully that helps?
I think if they asked you a question that involved looking at a photo, interviewers know what they’ve asked and are going to expect you to look at the screen. Plus you can tell a difference in someone looking at an image vs continued reading from a screen. And finally they’d be able to compare your behavior to everyone else they asked that question to and see that your behavior was normal. Don’t create imaginary problems for yourself to worry about.
 
I have been very anxious about this going into my interviews. I am coming from a well-known animal welfare org with strong stances on lab animals.
I’m not a vegetarian, I love an accredited zoo, etc. but I was part of the Envigo beagle rescue and even have a few of them as clients at my clinic now. I left that off of my application.
I feel comfortable speaking about what I do know, but I don’t know how to speak favorably about lab animals because the only side I have seen has been horrific.

My family owned pet stores that sold animals. Straight up the traditional mall pet store. We were in the business for over a hundred years. It was brought up in an open file interview at K State. It's obviously a unique experience and perspective to put it mildly.

I was wait listed every year I applied to K State. So it obviously wasn't an app killer. You just have to be straightforward.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve heard small animal faculty speak poorly about LAM when they we’re asking about my research so there’s that 😃
What was the context for this? I feel like I've only ever heard superficial griping (like "ugh I hated doing cow dystocias in vet school") or lamenting about the state of the equine veterinary industry if they previously pursued equine, but not genuinely disparaging the practice of large animal medicine itself.
 
LAM as in lab animal medicine. Sorry if that wasn't clear. They said it was cruel but still necessary
I mean...it can be depending on how you look at it and your personal opinions on it. It's not always as simple as testing a drug/product and ensuring there are no negative outcomes. Some of these labs are experimentally infecting animals with various diseases, there could be surgical experiments, etc.

At a previous job, I worked with a vet who had previously worked on Plum Island and he had some interesting stories to tell. We've come leaps and bounds from even 20-30 years ago. I mean some of the old zoo papers I've read....you have to ask what people were thinking back in the day, and that was just zoo people trying to figure these animals out. It does make for a good discussion on ethics and morality in research and what limits should exist.

I don't have personal experience in lab animal though, @KCgophervet is our lab animal person here. It is a good thing to start thinking and wrapping your head around as we enter interview season because it's a perfectly valid question that could come up at any school. Not to derail this thread necessarily, but yeah. Same with ethics surrounding zoos/aquariums, hunting, breeding for game ranches, etc.
 
One could also argue that many procedures are cruel but necessary. As one small animal example, we surgically break a dogs leg with a bone saw in order to fix the biomechanics of a torn cruciate ligament. We just think the ends justify the means and the suffering for those 6 weeks in order to live a more normal long term life, but an animal can’t really consent so the ethics of that choice are on the humans. All of veterinary medicine is a balancing act, and that’s why lab animal has things like IACUC and lab animal vets providing oversight and tries to use the least complex models whenever possible. And a lot of things we used to do are no longer considered ethical and would never be repeated today.
 
I have been very anxious about this going into my interviews. I am coming from a well-known animal welfare org with strong stances on lab animals.
I’m not a vegetarian, I love an accredited zoo, etc. but I was part of the Envigo beagle rescue and even have a few of them as clients at my clinic now. I left that off of my application.
I feel comfortable speaking about what I do know, but I don’t know how to speak favorably about lab animals because the only side I have seen has been horrific.
I encourage you to look further into it. There are bad apples in every industry but there are also amazing things that are being done in the lab animal world as well. There are a few websites that might be helpful if you (or anyone) is interested: Home Page - Come See Our World , NC3Rs , and HOME | BRAD - Biomedical Research Awareness Day - animal research education
I mean...it can be depending on how you look at it and your personal opinions on it. It's not always as simple as testing a drug/product and ensuring there are no negative outcomes. Some of these labs are experimentally infecting animals with various diseases, there could be surgical experiments, etc.

At a previous job, I worked with a vet who had previously worked on Plum Island and he had some interesting stories to tell. We've come leaps and bounds from even 20-30 years ago. I mean some of the old zoo papers I've read....you have to ask what people were thinking back in the day, and that was just zoo people trying to figure these animals out. It does make for a good discussion on ethics and morality in research and what limits should exist.

I don't have personal experience in lab animal though, @KCgophervet is our lab animal person here. It is a good thing to start thinking and wrapping your head around as we enter interview season because it's a perfectly valid question that could come up at any school. Not to derail this thread necessarily, but yeah. Same with ethics surrounding zoos/aquariums, hunting, breeding for game ranches, etc.
I was summoned, and thus I appear. Happy to answer questions about lab animal medicine to anyone who is curious to learn more.
 
I was summoned, and thus I appear. Happy to answer questions about lab animal medicine to anyone who is curious to learn more.
How would you communicate your passion for research (that includes lab animals) to a faculty interviewer (with a more clinical position) who may have strong opinions on animal testing? I feel like this is more relevant for open-files but also could show up on MMI/SJTs
 
How would you communicate your passion for research (that includes lab animals) to a faculty interviewer (with a more clinical position) who may have strong opinions on animal testing? I feel like this is more relevant for open-files but also could show up on MMI/SJTs
Key points that I would focus on:
1. Animal research is currently happening, those animals deserve to be treated well and have veterinary care
2. Animal research and testing is necessary for biomedical scientific progress, there are not currently non-animal alternative models that can fully emulate the in vivo condition. While non-animal models are slowly increasing, we are not there yet.
3. Biomedical research is necessary and is improving the quality of life and lifespan of people every day. Pancreatic cancer 5 year survival rates jumped from 5% to 13% in the last 5 years. HIV/AIDS is no longer a death sentence. New gene therapies are coming out every day. This matters.
4. Animal research benefits both humans and animals. Drugs that are studied for human conditions that don't pass clinical trials can go on to become veterinary specific drugs or treatment options.
5. Animal research and testing is highly regulated, with layers of federal protections including institutional oversight committees to ensure welfare is prioritized with the research needs
6. My role is to be the advocate for the animals and their welfare while ensuring that scientific progress continues. I believe this role is essential and honors my oath as a veterinarian to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health and welfare, the prevention and relief of animal suffering, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.

You may find your own key points that matter most to you.
 
I will be re-reading this entire thread page to prepare for these questions for my interviews... a lot of info here. I had a question like this about lab animals and I stuttered a LOT. Caught me off guard. I also did not have time to prep for the interview so there's that. Have another one in Jan this time I really want to do well!


BTW im am stressing A LOT for that interview (and another school which I hope invites me soon for in-person interview). Not because of the meeting, but because of the flight/stay/transport costs... like I come from the caribbean so its like literally 1k to travel for interviews is insane (summed up if I end up attending both interviews in different states in one weekend)... anyway. Might need a second job to get through this app cycle.
 
Last edited:
Speaking of the research side of things, has anybody here witnessed or dealt with animal welfare concerns? And if so, how did you bring it up or speak about it to vet schools? It was one of the biggest challenges I have had in this field as the reporting and meetings that I was a part of for speaking up lasted for a year, but it also taught me a lot. I feel like I might be overthinking it, but it's just a tricky subject that I don't quite know the best way to navigate discussing it.
 
Speaking of the research side of things, has anybody here witnessed or dealt with animal welfare concerns? And if so, how did you bring it up or speak about it to vet schools? It was one of the biggest challenges I have had in this field as the reporting and meetings that I was a part of for speaking up lasted for a year, but it also taught me a lot. I feel like I might be overthinking it, but it's just a tricky subject that I don't quite know the best way to navigate discussing it.
Do you mean like being a whistleblower for a lab animal situation? Sorry, having trouble following.

If it is, whistleblowing is a necessity and I support it, but it can be a controversial topic for something like an interview. I’d probably avoid it unless asked directly about it.

It’s not a reflection of you- sounds like what you did required a lot of bravery - but you don’t want to let interviewers’ opinions about whistleblowers confound their opinions about you. Especially since I’m also sure you won’t have the time to go into the details in such depth.
 
Do you mean like being a whistleblower for a lab animal situation? Sorry, having trouble following.

If it is, whistleblowing is a necessity and I support it, but it can be a controversial topic for something like an interview. I’d probably avoid it unless asked directly about it.

It’s not a reflection of you- sounds like what you did required a lot of bravery - but you don’t want to let interviewers’ opinions about whistleblowers confound their opinions about you. Especially since I’m also sure you won’t have the time to go into the details in such depth.
Yes, I was a whistleblower along with a couple other workers. The situation itself is somewhat unique because the facility wasn't just for research, it had multiple uses so there were several aspects to the welfare concerns beyond solely the research side.

I think that makes a lot of sense though because it is very complicated and discussing it in a concise manner would be challenging. I was also worried about the perception of whistleblowing leading to a negative reflection so I am glad you mentioned it too. That helps a lot since I had been going back and forth on what to do for a while, so thank you!!
 
Speaking of the research side of things, has anybody here witnessed or dealt with animal welfare concerns? And if so, how did you bring it up or speak about it to vet schools? It was one of the biggest challenges I have had in this field as the reporting and meetings that I was a part of for speaking up lasted for a year, but it also taught me a lot. I feel like I might be overthinking it, but it's just a tricky subject that I don't quite know the best way to navigate discussing it.
I’ve had a few interview questions that dealt with ethics on reporting abuse or foulplay in a medical environment (research, a clinic, school etc). I’ve had a similar situation but didn’t bring up specifics in my interviews, I only discussed generalizations for that scenario
 
I’ve had a few interview questions that dealt with ethics on reporting abuse or foulplay in a medical environment (research, a clinic, school etc). I’ve had a similar situation but didn’t bring up specifics in my interviews, I only discussed generalizations for that scenario
Or they could throw random political questions at you like “do you believe there should be an official language in the US” or “how do you feel about servicing gay people as a vet?”
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Spoiler alert, going to professional school opens a wide variety of social doors, including meeting gay people. He definitely serves people of all types now.
It's almost like it's not higher education that's "brainwashing" people, it's that you're finally exposed to the people you've spent your whole life being told to hate and they're *gasp* just people.
 
I had a friend in undergrad aiming for dentistry who said he absolutely would not treat gay patients.
Spoiler alert, going to professional school opens a wide variety of social doors, including meeting gay people. He definitely serves people of all types now.
Man he'd have a rough time in vet med where your colleagues are twice as likely to be lgbt 😅
 
Laughing like a goblin because I wanted to make a joke and y’all beat me to it.
How's your head? - GIF - Imgur
 
Hi I applied this cycle and recently received two recognitions from my university (Outstanding Graduating Senior award and being selected as a Commencement Success Story candidate by my campus Media Relations which I get to interview with multiple news stations in my local area).


I know some schools accept post-application updates and others don’t.
Does anyone know which schools are actually open to receiving updates?
The ones I still have active are:


  • Colorado State
  • Illinois
  • Kansas State
  • Mississippi State
  • Minnesota
  • Texas A&M (MMI invite)
  • Florida

Has anyone sent meaningful updates (new awards, recognitions, honors) to these schools and had them added to your file?
Or do some of these schools ignore/decline updates after submission?

I know some schools do not take them and I can not seem to find much information on this, or would this be where I just talk about it via interviews.
 
looking for ideas to pass the time waiting for acceptances/rejections and add to my next app... other than continuing to shadow, what else are y'all getting involved in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
looking for ideas to pass the time waiting for acceptances/rejections and add to my next app... other than continuing to shadow, what else are y'all getting involved in?

Honestly, do stuff you enjoy unless there's something you strongly need to improve in your app. Thank you for thinking about this though! Doesn't hurt to get ahead of the curve
 
Hi I applied this cycle and recently received two recognitions from my university (Outstanding Graduating Senior award and being selected as a Commencement Success Story candidate by my campus Media Relations which I get to interview with multiple news stations in my local area).


I know some schools accept post-application updates and others don’t.
Does anyone know which schools are actually open to receiving updates?
The ones I still have active are:


  • Colorado State
  • Illinois
  • Kansas State
  • Mississippi State
  • Minnesota
  • Texas A&M (MMI invite)
  • Florida

Has anyone sent meaningful updates (new awards, recognitions, honors) to these schools and had them added to your file?
Or do some of these schools ignore/decline updates after submission?

I know some schools do not take them and I can not seem to find much information on this, or would this be where I just talk about it via interviews.
Majority of schools will not accept updates, it is typically stated in the confirmation email you receive at the beginning of the cycle. Be sure to check those
 
I’ve had a few interview questions that dealt with ethics on reporting abuse or foulplay in a medical environment (research, a clinic, school etc). I’ve had a similar situation but didn’t bring up specifics in my interviews, I only discussed generalizations for that scenario
Thank you so much for your input, you and @indysadventures eased so much of my worries and uncertainty about that!! 🫶
 
I think i know the answer to this, but if i took fall prerequisites, i do not need to send transcripts to schools unless they specifically request them right?
 
I think i know the answer to this, but if i took fall prerequisites, i do not need to send transcripts to schools unless they specifically request them right?
Send them. They have no way of knowing if you
1. Actually took them.​
and​
2. That you actually passed them​
without you sending them. The VAST majority of schools will request fall transcripts if you took any classes, especially prereqs.