VMCAS Questions and Rants c/o 2030

Started by stinkydog
Tags Tags
gpa vmcas
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I have an interview for Washington State University in February and I’m trying to prepare. Does anyone have any sample questions that are likely to be asked during the interview? Everything I find online for mock interview questions are more geared towards job interviews, not school interviews and I’ve never done a school interview before so I have no idea what questions to expect.
 
Hey guys, I have an interview for Washington State University in February and I’m trying to prepare. Does anyone have any sample questions that are likely to be asked during the interview? Everything I find online for mock interview questions are more geared towards job interviews, not school interviews and I’ve never done a school interview before so I have no idea what questions to expect.
There is interview feedback and past interview questions for each school on here! The schools know these are on here and have changed them up a bit but the meat of the questions is still very much the same for most schools.

 
Hey guys, I have an interview for Washington State University in February and I’m trying to prepare. Does anyone have any sample questions that are likely to be asked during the interview? Everything I find online for mock interview questions are more geared towards job interviews, not school interviews and I’ve never done a school interview before so I have no idea what questions to expect.

 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is interview feedback and past interview questions for each school on here! The schools know these are on here and have changed them up a bit but the meat of the questions is still very much the same for most schools.


Ninja'd 🤣
 
Send them. They have no way of knowing if you
1. Actually took them.​
and​
2. That you actually passed them​
without you sending them. The VAST majority of schools will request fall transcripts if you took any classes, especially prereqs.
By any chance do you know if schools will request fall transcripts in the beginning of spring or just wait until the end of spring for both fall and spring transcripts?
I guess it may vary between schools too, right?
 
LNT (Late Night Thoughts): Vet School is 3 hours away and I am married with kids and a mortgage. The pickle!! We have a camper trailer. May stay at the local long-term campground or find a resident who has RV hookups… Otherwise, we will need to find a little apartment. The thought of renting my house gives me the ick but maybe that will change…. Anyone else relate?
 
LNT (Late Night Thoughts): Vet School is 3 hours away and I am married with kids and a mortgage. The pickle!! We have a camper trailer. May stay at the local long-term campground or find a resident who has RV hookups… Otherwise, we will need to find a little apartment. The thought of renting my house gives me the ick but maybe that will change…. Anyone else relate?

Depending on the tenants you get and the stability of the situation, renting your place may actually help you financially over the course of vet school.
- how much could you rent it for to cover the mortgage, escrow, utilities, etc.?
- how much would it cost to live in your camper?
- could you up the rent you charge to cover the camper in addition to the home?
- would you be comfortable living in the camper with your family for 4 years while attending professional school?
- is it viable to sell your house outright and buy in your vet school town? I honestly wish I had bought instead of rented as it wasted essentially 40k in just rent during vet school.
 
LNT (Late Night Thoughts): Vet School is 3 hours away and I am married with kids and a mortgage. The pickle!! We have a camper trailer. May stay at the local long-term campground or find a resident who has RV hookups… Otherwise, we will need to find a little apartment. The thought of renting my house gives me the ick but maybe that will change…. Anyone else relate?
What’s the long term plan? Are your spouse and kids moving too or would the camper/apartment just be for you on weekdays? Are you planning to move back to your current location after graduation?

If your spouse needs to stay in the current location, it’s not unheard of to rent a room or taking your camper for weeknights and then visit them back home on weekends might make sense. If they’re coming to school with you, I would recommend you consider selling your current home and buying in the vet school town if that is financially feasible. You can keep the house in vet school town as a future investment and rent to future vet students after you graduate or sell it. Keeping your current home and renting it out for a few years may make sense if you’re returning to that area after graduation though.

In an ideal investment world keeping the original house, renting that, buying one in vet school town, and then renting that one after you graduate is probably a great plan but requires a lot of cash most people don’t have and may be hard to qualify for a mortgage for if only one spouse is working.

I think it would be hard for a family to live in a camper for four years, but I know people do it. Good news is that if it didn’t work out and you needed to find a different rental, that’s likely an option.
 
LNT (Late Night Thoughts): Vet School is 3 hours away and I am married with kids and a mortgage. The pickle!! We have a camper trailer. May stay at the local long-term campground or find a resident who has RV hookups… Otherwise, we will need to find a little apartment. The thought of renting my house gives me the ick but maybe that will change…. Anyone else relate?
I bought a house in Gainesville for my Son and rented out 2 of the other bedrooms that covers a good portion of the costs. So many variables for you so hard to truly lay it out. Go to Tufts in Boston, probably not buying a house. Go to Mizzou or UF, houses are more affordable. But still require some investment like closing costs and down payment. What I have seen with every Vet school applicant I have talked to though is they face their challenges head on and come up with a solution that works. Impressive group of people who aspire to be a Veterinarian!
 
LNT (Late Night Thoughts): Vet School is 3 hours away and I am married with kids and a mortgage. The pickle!! We have a camper trailer. May stay at the local long-term campground or find a resident who has RV hookups… Otherwise, we will need to find a little apartment. The thought of renting my house gives me the ick but maybe that will change…. Anyone else relate?
One of the girls in my class is renting her house out via Airbnb during vet school. It’s constantly booked and she says it helps pay for some things since she doesn’t have an income to support her husband and two kids on. I can send you her Instagram if you want.
 
LNT (Late Night Thoughts): Vet School is 3 hours away and I am married with kids and a mortgage. The pickle!! We have a camper trailer. May stay at the local long-term campground or find a resident who has RV hookups… Otherwise, we will need to find a little apartment. The thought of renting my house gives me the ick but maybe that will change…. Anyone else relate?
If moving is possible, I would either rent or sell the home. It was hard to sell our house and move for vet school, but we bought in our new city and I’m happy we did (though I’ll be happier now that my house is free of knob-and-tube, it was not fun having home be a construction zone this semester!). That being said, if your spouse’s job isn’t flexible, your options are more limited. I’d just say that vet school is exhausting, and being 3h away from your support system WILL drain you. A camper is probably too small long-term for the whole family, and may start to feel claustrophobic even for just you.

I know it seems like 3h isn’t that far, but I have barely driven anywhere longer than 30 min unless forced to this semester. Just some things to keep in mind. Set yourself up to be as comfy as possible during vet school to limit burnout risk - live close to school, make sure you’ve got a great support system, and make your home cozy and comfy. I think you’ve got several good options, weigh what works best and go from there! Aside from buying a home, nothing would be too permanent so you could pivot if needed.
 
I know it seems like 3h isn’t that far, but I have barely driven anywhere longer than 30 min unless forced to this semester. Just some things to keep in mind. Set yourself up to be as comfy as possible during vet school to limit burnout risk - live close to school, make sure you’ve got a great support system, and make your home cozy and comfy. I think you’ve got several good options, weigh what works best and go from there! Aside from buying a home, nothing would be too permanent so you could pivot if needed.
This is of course very personal but I want to chime in with my experience too-- I'm 2.5 hours away from my support system and it's been manageable. It's hard, not going to sugar coat it, but it's definitely doable. It's just a matter of how much you are willing to sacrifice. I alternate weekends with my partner and/or parents so the travel load is more equal. I can't speak for how it is with children, just another experience to take into consideration.

You could also try one of these options out and see how it works. You can always switch gears after your first year depending on how things go.
 
LNT (Late Night Thoughts): Vet School is 3 hours away and I am married with kids and a mortgage. The pickle!! We have a camper trailer. May stay at the local long-term campground or find a resident who has RV hookups… Otherwise, we will need to find a little apartment. The thought of renting my house gives me the ick but maybe that will change…. Anyone else relate?
@Zenge142 and I own our house in in the state I went to vet school in, and we rent it while I'm doing my specialty training elsewhere. It made me really nervous too, but I started out by renting it to someone I knew (+ her roommate) and now just rent to people within the CVM I graduated from.

It's stressful, but it's been a nice way to keep an anchor somewhere we want to return to, and it covers our rent while we live elsewhere (we charge way below market rate; we just want the house to be cared for and to cover our rent/its property taxes). I do think hiring a property management company is the way to go though - we've not done that for the last 2 years and it's been markedly more stressful, whereas now we're looking into it so someone closer can help with maintenance stuff.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think i know the answer to this, but if i took fall prerequisites, i do not need to send transcripts to schools unless they specifically request them right?
My school said they will need updated transcripts if I am offered a seat. However, I sent them an email last week that I had successfully completed my courses for Fall semester — this helps them understand where I am at in terms of completing my in-progress classes.
 
Does anyone know if the following schools require fall transcripts before admissions decisions? Don't want to miss anything but also don't want to send transcripts if they don't want them😀
- UTK
- Purdue
- Illinois
- Auburn
- Florida
 
Does anyone know if the following schools require fall transcripts before admissions decisions? Don't want to miss anything but also don't want to send transcripts if they don't want them😀
- UTK
- Purdue
- Illinois
- Auburn
- Florida
Illinois requires them. I believe by Feb 1st? They do send out interview invites prior to getting them though so the actual grades don’t matter, but they want to make sure you passed the classes.

Edit: Feb 2nd this cycle. The 1st is a Sunday 😂
 
How is everyone describing their experiences? Are you just listing responsibilities in a bullet point format? Are you writing whole paragraphs?
I am working with an admissions advisor and coach I paid for with Inspira advantage, she recommended to write meaningful small blurb about the experience and how it shaped you vs just resume style bullet points 🙂
 
I don't know if this is an appropriate question to ask. English is not my first language. I was looking at the PS prompt. I did not quite understand the first question in the prompt. Are they asking what kind of vet we want to be (small, large, exotic)? They said based on our understanding of the careers in vet med at the start of the question, so I am a little confused on that.
Also, since this year's prompts asked two questions. Is it recommended to have two body paragraphs, one for each question? But then the second question asked for quality and perspective, so should I write them in separate paragraphs? I have read this prompt so many times, and I am just scared that I will be writing something completely off the topic, or maybe I am just thinking too much.
 
I don't know if this is an appropriate question to ask. English is not my first language. I was looking at the PS prompt. I did not quite understand the first question in the prompt. Are they asking what kind of vet we want to be (small, large, exotic)? They said based on our understanding of the careers in vet med at the start of the question, so I am a little confused on that.
Also, since this year's prompts asked two questions. Is it recommended to have two body paragraphs, one for each question? But then the second question asked for quality and perspective, so should I write them in separate paragraphs? I have read this prompt so many times, and I am just scared that I will be writing something completely off the topic, or maybe I am just thinking too much.

I'm reading it more of as they're asking what qualities, traits, experiences, etc you have that could make a positive long-term impact on the field. For example, you could say something like you want to contribute to the field by doing more research into exotic care since a lot of the times, it's guesswork and approximation when it comes to calculating med doses or xyz for exotic pets/wildlife. You don't need to have any grand aspirations, but it needs to be more than, "I want to help animals," and your entire answer shouldn't be as simple as, "I want to be a large animal vet to contribute to the field since there's a shortage of LA vets."

I would suggest 3 body paragraphs or more, depending on the length of said paragraph.
 
unfortunately I have to reapply and since the next cycle doesn't have a page yet, I figured I would ask here.

Should I include CE hours/Certificates on my Application?

If you did, how did you do it? I would love to read an example
 
unfortunately I have to reapply and since the next cycle doesn't have a page yet, I figured I would ask here.

Should I include CE hours/Certificates on my Application?

If you did, how did you do it? I would love to read an example
I did
 
Has anyone on here that already applied shown horses? I showed for 4 years at open shows and APHA shows, and I need some advice on how to include those experiences in my application! I would love to talk to someone who has a similar experience.
 
Has anyone on here that already applied shown horses? I showed for 4 years at open shows and APHA shows, and I need some advice on how to include those experiences in my application! I would love to talk to someone who has a similar experience.
Yes! Included all my personal horse stuff as an extracurricular under something like “equestrian athlete in eventing” with a description of the sport and how that experience made me a stronger applicant. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about this!
 
Posting here because I can't think of a better place to put it (maybe shorty can move it it if it should have gone somewhere else), but it looks like VIN has updated their in-school loan estimator to show what repayment might look like with the new student loan limits and need for private loans. I'd encourage everyone deciding where to attend and those students who are preparing to choose what schools to apply to to explore the tool and really see what the loan repayment options may realistically cost you with the currently available programs and borrowing limits. It now lets you put in separate government loans and adds in a separate private loan section and you can edit the loan parameters.

 
Posting here because I can't think of a better place to put it (maybe shorty can move it it if it should have gone somewhere else), but it looks like VIN has updated their in-school loan estimator to show what repayment might look like with the new student loan limits and need for private loans. I'd encourage everyone deciding where to attend and those students who are preparing to choose what schools to apply to to explore the tool and really see what the loan repayment options may realistically cost you with the currently available programs and borrowing limits. It now lets you put in separate government loans and adds in a separate private loan section and you can edit the loan parameters.

im following along with VIN’s 40 schools in 60 days series where they are sharing how much money you would need in private loans depending on your school and tuition status (IS vs OOS). one is already 151k in private loans on top of the 200k in federal….

oh we are so screwed.

 
im following along with VIN’s 40 schools in 60 days series where they are sharing how much money you would need in private loans depending on your school and tuition status (IS vs OOS). one is already 151k in private loans on top of the 200k in federal….

oh we are so screwed.


Saw this in my inbox the other day. Gotta say, Tony Bartels is a badass and should get whatever vet med equivalent there is to the medal of honor. Exaggeration? May be. But he is a solid barometer and if Tony says, "Ah ****," then I know it's bad
 
Saw this in my inbox the other day. Gotta say, Tony Bartels is a badass and should get whatever vet med equivalent there is to the medal of honor. Exaggeration? May be. But he is a solid barometer and if Tony says, "Ah ****," then I know it's bad
yeah this series is fantastic and seriously eye-opening. i dont think people understand just how MUCH money this is..especially private loans with insane interest on them.

if you're an incoming student, please follow along with this and start formulating your plan yesterday.
 
im following along with VIN’s 40 schools in 60 days series where they are sharing how much money you would need in private loans depending on your school and tuition status (IS vs OOS). one is already 151k in private loans on top of the 200k in federal….

oh we are so screwed.

That 40 in 60 was what I saw first that led me to the updated calculator thing.

I looked at the cost for some of the most expensive schools and the payments for both the privates+the income based governmental costs were more than half my takehome pay as a specialist with base salary of 200k. Not counting housing and bills and all that. Idk how people are gonna make it work. But I hope they figure it out beforehand.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That 40 in 60 was what I saw first that led me to the updated calculator thing.

I looked at the cost for some of the most expensive schools and the payments for both the privates+the income based governmental costs were more than half my takehome pay as a specialist with base salary of 200k. Not counting housing and bills and all that. Idk how people are gonna make it work. But I hope they figure it out beforehand.
i was concerned before- now i’m just gobsmacked.
 
Posting here because I can't think of a better place to put it (maybe shorty can move it it if it should have gone somewhere else), but it looks like VIN has updated their in-school loan estimator to show what repayment might look like with the new student loan limits and need for private loans. I'd encourage everyone deciding where to attend and those students who are preparing to choose what schools to apply to to explore the tool and really see what the loan repayment options may realistically cost you with the currently available programs and borrowing limits. It now lets you put in separate government loans and adds in a separate private loan section and you can edit the loan parameters.

Just an FYI: anyone using this should double check for COA accuracy on the school’s website. I noticed VIN has WSU’s tuition as $110k for residents, but it’s $125k on the WSU website.