Quantcast

Vmrcvm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpad40

Penn Vet 2013!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Dulles and Richmond are both *far*! I would think about 4 hours (maybe a bit more for Dulles). Have you tried using Kayak.com and clicking "nearby airports" for Roanoke? There are 2 or 3 small nearby airports in WV and VA that often have connecting flights (and are pretty cheap too!). Also consider Charlotte, NC or Greensboro, NC, I think they might be a little closer too.

If you are insanely fearful flyer like me, and have to fly direct and have to fly JetBlue, then you might have to go to Dulles for that, but otherwise I am sure you can find a closer option ;)

dreamvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input.

I did the kayak.com thing and found RT for about $200 to lynchburg, which is about 2 hours from V Tech.

Last edited:

slurpee711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So. . .I am trying to make travel arrangements for the interview
Coming from Fort Lauderdale, FL
for those that know the area, what's the best way to come in, economically?
I saw that there are cheap flights to DC and to Richmond, all the flights from here to Roanoke are in the $400 range already :eek:

Which airport would be the best to fly in to, then I'll just rent a car and drive to the campus. (distance?)

thanks!

Which campus is your interview being held at? College park or Vtech? =)

**sorry! i forgot out of state interviews are at tech! good luck!!

jenk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still haven't heard from them, no interviews nor rejections. Are they still sending out interview invitation??
:confused:

livefor32

VMRCVM 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from the DC area and attended tech as an undergrad. I would suggest flying into DC/Baltimore and then renting a car. The drive is about 4hrs, but once you get out of the DC area, it's very easy and pretty. Flights to Roanoke are so expensive because it's such a small airport. You may want to consider looking at flights flying into Charlotte - they may be cheaper and possibly closer (I'm not sure about that). Good luck!

livefor32

VMRCVM 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out today that someone I know had an interview with Va-Md over winter break!! She is a DC resident, but I thought everyone was finding out at the same time. Any thoughts?

jenk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just emailed them to check the status of of my application and they replied with an invitation for an interview. I strongly advice ppl who haven't heard to call them.

VAgirl

UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from the DC area and attended tech as an undergrad. I would suggest flying into DC/Baltimore and then renting a car. The drive is about 4hrs, but once you get out of the DC area, it's very easy and pretty. Flights to Roanoke are so expensive because it's such a small airport. You may want to consider looking at flights flying into Charlotte - they may be cheaper and possibly closer (I'm not sure about that). Good luck!

If you fly into BWI (Baltimore Washinton Airport) you're going to be an hour north of DC, so the drive will be more!

It took me closer to 5 hours from DC, so I'd say expect 6 hours from BWI. And watch out if you'll be driving through/around Baltimore/DC/Northern VA during rush hour (about 6am-10am and 3/4pm-6:30/7pm) because traffic could easily be bad bad bad.

eatpinkpenguins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview call today (OOS) so apparently they are still calling. Good luck!

fargeese

VMRCVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd fly into Charlotte, N.C. and rent a car, the drive is very quiet, interstate all the way and around 3 hours maybe, Richmond is 4-5 at least and I don't know about D.C. but I hate driving in all the NOVA crap, sorry. Lynchburg is easy too, but a small airport too. Charlottte however is a hub for U.S. Airways so you should be able to find cheap flights there. My roommate often flies out of Greensburo as well.

Good luck!

Ben and Me

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend flying into Raleigh or Greensboro. It's an easy drive from either city, and you aren't on I-81 for long (if you've never driven on 81 before, you're in for a treat.... :eek: ). When I drove up to tour the school this summer, it took me around 3 hours. I drove up and back in 1 day. JetBlue services Raleigh, as do AirTran and Southwest.

Greensboro would be even closer, but is a much smaller airport.

LVT2DVM

UGA-CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

dreamvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my goodness!

There are so many different travel options. . . . .now i really don't know which to do.

I just got an interview at auburn, and it's on the same week, but i don't know the date yet. so I have to wait till i get my interview date before i make my travel plans anyway.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)

WhtsThFrequency

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Just popped in to say that if anyone needs a place to crash for a day or 2 for interviews, I have an extra bedroom at my place. I have a dog and cat that are both really nice and some reptiles. Could give ya a little tour of the burg too if I have the time. Just PM me or [email protected]

fargeese

VMRCVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
FYI, they are going to be admitting 5 extra OOS for fall this year, though the number of IS admits will remain the same. They gave us some jazz about expanding the class to meet the need for more vets, and then finished the email with the real reason, which is that they need the OOS tuition money :)

Pandacinny

VMRCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my interview, too! I prepared for this one much more than I did for last years and think I did much better. I'm worried that I came off as a bit too nervous, but hopefully that won't hold me back too much. Now we just have to wait until the 16th!

mistifical

VMRCVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my interview, too! I prepared for this one much more than I did for last years and think I did much better. I'm worried that I came off as a bit too nervous, but hopefully that won't hold me back too much. Now we just have to wait until the 16th!

Glad to hear you are happy with your interview :) Good luck!

And good luck to everyone else who still has to interview...!

nymfn712

Penn c/o 2013!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
to any oosers who didn't receive an interview invite, don't give up hope! I literally got a voicemail on my cell phone a half hour ago to come for an interview next week.. however, i was already accepted into my IS school so i'll be declining the interview. maybe that will open up a spot to interview to someone else!

mjrabbitvet

UF CVM c/o 2013!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back from my interview this morning. I think it went reasonably well, but I'm so glad it's over. It was my first vet school interview, so very nerve wracking! Apparantly interviewees can call on Feb. 16th to find out if they made it

tpad40

Penn Vet 2013!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back from my interview this morning. I think it went reasonably well, but I'm so glad it's over. It was my first vet school interview, so very nerve wracking! Apparantly interviewees can call on Feb. 16th to find out if they made it

I had mine yesterday and it went pretty well/OK, not as well as I would have liked but hopefully good enough! Joyce Massie (who is VERY nice) said they are mailing letters on Friday the 13th (creeeepy) and you can call Monday the 16th if you have not recieved the letter yet! Good luck to everyone who is interviewing!!! :luck:

dreamvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is the friday the 13th date also for OOS'ers that are interviewing next week?

tpad40

Penn Vet 2013!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is the friday the 13th date also for OOS'ers that are interviewing next week?

I am IS, but she made it sound like all decisions were going out that day! Congrats on your OOS interview!! :)

dreamvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!! and good luck!

wow. . . .we're hearing from almost all the schools at the same time. . . :xf:

WhtsThFrequency

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did Sponenberg's beard come to life and try to eat anyone @ the Blacksburg interviews? :laugh: I love him I think he does interviews every year. Funny, weird guy...a pathologist who raises myotonic goats and loves to say that mummified fetuses make great paperweights, need I say more.

I hope everyone got cookies!! we (as in various classes) brought em for ya (although I admit I snuck a few myself..hey, I have an exam tomorrow ;) )

dreamvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
good luck to everyone interviewing! :luck:
I'm off to VA (interview OOS tomorrow morning) :xf:

Pandacinny

VMRCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I see an OOS student has received a call about acceptance (Congrats! :D)

Does VMRCVM usually call or contact the people they're accepting, or only some people? Do most people find out when they call the school themselves/when actual letters go out?

I know letters are supposed to go out in just three days, but waiting is sure tough!

livefor32

VMRCVM 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was bummed when i saw OOSers were getting calls because i really want them to notify us now!! i heard what i'm guessing everyone else heard...letters mailed on fri, can call on monday. i rreeaalllyyy don't want to have to call and then get rejected - that would suck!

Pandacinny

VMRCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, it sucks. The admin office is very nice when you call them, though, and willing to answer any questions you have. So at least there's that.

I'm glad they're sending letters out so soon this year. I'm hoping I'll get my letter soon enough and won't have to call!

dreamvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
greatttttt. . .

now i'm totally paranoid that i interviewed today and didn't get a "call the same day"
:(

jenk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone remember the name of the guy that was in the "cold team" today? I'm trying to sent them a note and couldn't remember his name.
:(

P.S. it was nice meeting some of the current students today! you were all very nice!!:D

FeatheredFriend

VMRCVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today was the last day of interviews, and I hope it went smoothly for everyone. I also hope the butterflies in your stomachs calmed down enough to enjoy the cookies provided with love from all of us! :love:

Don't fret if you didn't get a same day call. I think it was a little less than a week before they called me (I'm OOS). They call most people, but I do have a friend that never got a call! So he called them and found out he was accepted, they just missed his name when notifying people via phone. They should send out a letter of acceptance too, it just takes a little more time to get out.

dreamvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my acceptance call today!
I loved it there!!!!!!!!!!

Karlee83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh Gezzz, I can't believe they called already. I am so paranoid now. I haven't heard a thing since my interview. But I am instate. Do you think they will start calling everyone on Monday?

slurpee711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to share this, I totally called it today:

95% they would NOT call on Friday like they said they would
75% they aren't going to pick up on Monday because they will be flooded with calls
50% I'll get rejected when I get finally through on Tuesday... sighhh

Good luck everybody! :xf:

Jochebed

Ye Must Be Born Again
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
gone

Last edited:

jenk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Describe the "cold team" guy, we may be able to ID him.

Glad you had a good time. We really enjoy getting to welcome the interviewees - you're our future colleagues too! :)

He was not young and he seem to be pretty high up and he told me he decide who they interview. Everyone seemed to know him. I think he look remotely like Dr. Turnwald after searching online, but I really have no clue.
Do you know if Dr. Turnwald interviewed in the cold team? If he did, i think its him.

thanks ;)

Pandacinny

VMRCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, I have never had a problem with them answering the phone and this is my third time applying. They've always been reachable on the day they tell us to call. :)

livefor32

VMRCVM 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone from IS heard anything yet. I was hoping for the letter today, but since I'm in New Hampshire, I wasn't holding my breath. Is everyone in the same boat having to call on monday??? What's the earliest we can call? i really don't want to call lol - I rather be rejected in peace!

crewgal

VMRCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I contacted Ms. Massie Friday. Letters were sent out Friday morning, but emails were not. Good luck everyone!

livefor32

VMRCVM 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok now i'm confused lol. I interviewed in MD and all they told me was that they were sending letters on Friday and we could call on Monday. Are they sending out e-mails as well? If I could avoid calling on Monday, I would really like that!

Pandacinny

VMRCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, they Aren't sending emails as far as I know. You can either wait for your letter or call tomorrow. Calling is not nearly as scary as it sounds, either.

tpad40

Penn Vet 2013!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my letter...and it was the good kind!!! So excited, especially after my not so hot interview (anybody else feel that way?).

Any other ISers hear today?? I'm relieved I dont have to call Monday - I am phone phobic as it is!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Pandacinny

VMRCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woo! Congrats! I'll be calling in just a few hours. Keeping my fingers crossed!

livefor32

VMRCVM 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
aw yay! congrats :) i'll be calling pretty soon as well...in the mean time trying not to go crazy. good luck everyone! :luck:

tpad40

Penn Vet 2013!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:xf:I'm crossing my fingers for you guys!! :)

Pandacinny

VMRCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, three years of trying and they accepted me!! Hooray!!!

I think this is the best day ever.

:soexcited::highfive::clap::banana:

alliecat44

KSU CVM Class of '11
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yay Pandacinny!!!!! I'm so happy for you! :love: :love: Congrats!!! :)