Vmrcvm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone!

I am new to the forums, but thought I would join to meet some of my (potential) VMRCVM classmates!!

Congratulations to everyone who got it and best wishes to those who are still in the running.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome and congrats! :D:D

Where else are you deciding about?

Thank you!!! :D

I am waiting to hear from Illinois, and I just got an interview invitation today from Penn. So everything depends a bit on how things turn out with those two schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I am new to the forums, but thought I would join to meet some of my (potential) VMRCVM classmates!!

Congratulations to everyone who got it and best wishes to those who are still in the running.

I'll be going!

Is anyone here definitely attending the open house in April? I'll be going for sure - my mom wants to see the campus badly and I thought it would be a good opportunity for her to explore the area a little. She worries about me. :rolleyes:

Are there any information sessions about vet school itself? None of my family members (except my twin) have ever attended college, so they don't quite understand what this vet school stuff is all about. I keep getting questions like "Will you live in a dorm?" or "Does it only take a year or two?" and things like that. It'd be great if there were info sessions about vet school that my parents could go to so they could see what it was all about!

I'm almost definitely going! They have the 2008 schedule up on the website:http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/acad/dvm/openhouse.asp

I actually had it open in the other window :laugh: They haven't posted the 2009 schedule yet but it will be something similar I'm sure!

Is anyone here definitely attending the open house in April?

I'll be there and I'll probably bring my mom and my sister with me too. I went a couple of years ago when I was an undergrad (before applying) and they had a session for prospective students that was mostly about the application process and requirements. I don't exactly remember (it's been 6 years) but I'm sure they talked about the program too (I'm sure I had to get my information somewhere). I also believe they have something for the incoming class.

Are there any information sessions about vet school itself?

Dr. Pelzer usually does a presentation along the lines of "A day in the life of a vet student". He is an absolute riot, very funny guy. Everyone loves his classes/presentations.

If anyone wants to go grab a drink in April, hit me up! :)

I have been to the Open House for the past 3 years and the schedule is pretty much the same, so looking at the 2008 schedule will give you a good idea of what will be happening on the 4th. I remember going with a few classmates who were accepted and had separate activities, but I was very much focused on the prospective student information sessions and don't really remember what they did :)

There is a Facebook group "VMRCVM 2013" that has some more information that some current students have posted, including things that happened on the day BEFORE the actual Open House, like "Pie with Professors" and actually sitting in on classes. So maybe (hopefully!) more information will be sent out to accepted students about these things.

Apparently there will also be an information session on housing, which I hear will be at a premium this coming year in Blacksburg. Apparently only 75% of the undergraduates at Va Tech can be housed on campus next year. While I was at my interview, my mother and I looked at one apartment complex that was already completely booked for the next year! And of course, the name of the apartment complex escapes me right now... *sigh* So anyway, an info session on housing would be MOST welcome imo :D

Ok, so the emails are sent about open house. Is anyone going to sit in on a class? Which ones, if so?

Hey Panda, I am hoping to attend some of those classes myself! Right now, I am interested in either of the 10am ones (toxicology or neurobiology) definitely. As far as going to all of them, I am not sure until I get a firm handle on my travel arrangements. Which ones were you thinking about?

Anyone else planning on going?

gone

Last edited:
hey everyone!!!!!!!

anyone know the annual caseload at the vet school?
small and large animal?

Hey Jochebed! I'll put toxicology as my top choice then! :)

Hope to see a few more SDNers at the Open House!!

If anyone is in town on Friday night, come down to Gillie's at 9pm (our little organic /veggie/fish restaurant) for some local folky+classic+bluesy rock music, Bitter Hill. They are all great guys. A nice relaxing start to open house and intro to BBurg:thumbup:!

I don't know about the main campus, but the equine caseload at the EMC in Leesburg, VA (equine tracking students spend time up there) is between 2500 and 3000, although that number is probably dropping because of the economy. :(

I just got off the wait list!! :):):):) So I guess I'll be meeting some of yall next year! Wish I has known this a few days ago so I could have gone to the open house! For those who did go feel free to fill me in :)

Wow, congrats!! I don't think you missed too much at orientation. It was fun and a good time for my mom to come and get all the clingy-ness and overexcitement out of her system. Plus she got to see that Blacksburg looks much less scary than Baltimore.

The tour was nice to go on and the talk on housing was pretty good. Maybe someone else can fill you in on more. I didn't stay long either day because my mom has a medical condition and can't stand or walk around too long.

Hey, guys, just a quick question. Has anyone gotten financial aid package info from VMRCVM yet? I haven't gotten anything, but the finaid website says they'll send that out in early June. I'm beginning to think maybe I'm missing something?

Also, I looked at my account info in HokieSpa and they have me listed as (and charged a semester as) an out of state student. I emailed the bursar's office about it and haven't gotten anywhere yet, but I'll be making some phone calls on my lunch break tomorrow to see if I can get that sorted out. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm a MD resident and have never lived or attended school out of state, so I'm not sure where any confusion would be.

I haven't received a financial aid package either yet. I called the financial aid office last month to ask about this and they said that financial aid had not been awarded to vet students yet and they didn't tell me when it would be. On my account on Hokiespa it does show loans and says accepted beside each one (even though I haven't received anything to accept them yet). Also today I noticed I was billed and the loans were applied to the bill and there was a credit.

Actual financial aid money (as in the true *refund* money deposited to your bank account for you to use, not the tuition bill being automatically paid) is not distributed until early August for fall semester, right before class starts. During my first year I got it sometimes during orientation week. Sucks, I know. Plus things have been weird recently, we fourth years got our money very late because evidently the Department of Education itself was late. Summer distributions are in June and July but you guys are not enrolled in summer.

I was told that the loans are automatically accepted and that there is a form on the fin aid site that you have to fill out if you want to cancel them. I filled one out last month and it still hasn't been applied. Scholarships are supposed to show up mid July.