Vmrcvm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought I should add to those of you waiting for the hard copy rather than calling...my letter was in a small envelope (but there were three pages). So don't panic!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

gone

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I was so excited to call Joyce Massie this morning to determine my status... ACCEPTED! I'd love to chat with anyone else in the same boat... I started a facebook group: "VMRCVM 2013" if others would like to do the same!

Congratulations to those accepted, and best of luck to those that aren't or haven't been yet! :D

So this guy was tall, white, bald, older, and wore glasses (i.e. that would be how I'd describe Dr. Turnwald)? I don't know who was on which team but I saw many of the professors that were down there interviewing so I know names at least. :)

Congrats to those who were accepted! If you can, try to make it out for the Open House weekend in April. There are special events, including housing information, for accepted students at that time, plus you get to meet some of your classmates, purchase VMRCVM gear, etc. It's a good time. :)

He was definitely tall, white, older, wore glasses. But I can't remember if he was bald :confused:. I was so nervous, everyone's faces became blurry after the interview. But I do remember him having SOME gray hair... I wrote Joyce asking who interviewed me, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet...(i guess she's very busy with all the acceptance and so on...)

Congrats to all that's accepted!!!!

rusty, we're in the same boat! are you planning on applying again next year? congrats to those who were accepted :)

Congrats to everyone accepted, especially pandacinny, who was there for both of my cycles :) There are people in our class who are superstars who did not get in the first or second time so you'll be just fine! I include myself in that category of course, ha ha!

For those of you rejected, I feel your pain, but remember next year will come quicker than you think. Make sure you contact Joyce and see what she says to change and DO it! It worked for me.

Yes, please do contact Joyce like Fargeese said. Alsobe sure to follow the advice you're given! Next years application will come faster than you think, so be sure to start working on any holes in your experience ASAP.

P.s. If you're in MD and need large animal, try Days End Horse Farm in Lisbon. It's a great place!

Well, the first time i was rejected, i decided to go to graduate school to get my masters. so i'll graduate with my masters this summer, then i have no clue. i want to apply again, but i also don't want to be almost 30 when i graduate. maybe i'll get a job at a clinic or something. whooo knowwss.

Ugh I really hope not. I have a good waitlist number for Ohio State so I am hoping that works out and I absolutely loved their school so I would be more than happy going there. I didn't want to have to put all my eggs in that one basket, but it looks that is how it is going to play out. I still haven't heard from Penn, but I don't really put much stock in them. How bout you?

Well, the first time i was rejected, i decided to go to graduate school to get my masters. so i'll graduate with my masters this summer, then i have no clue. i want to apply again, but i also don't want to be almost 30 when i graduate. maybe i'll get a job at a clinic or something. whooo knowwss.

Out of curiosity, What is your vet experience like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, What is your vet experience like?

I have been an animal owner my entire life (cats, dogs, snakes), worked one summer (>400hrs) at a small animal vet clinic, worked for 3 summers as a student intern at the FDA, CVM (center for veterinary medicine), and for my masters research, I have learned how to use transrectal ultrasonography to monitor bovine reproductive cycles.

Wow, livefor32, that sounds like pretty good experience to me! I understand being reluctant about starting later - I think it's something all of us who aren't fresh out of undergrad think about. If you are still interested though, definitely set up an appointment to talk about your application. It's good to be able to target your efforts. If you're looking for any specific experience, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help you out. I don't know a ton of people, but I may be able to put you in touch with someone useful - you never know.

Thanks Pandacinny! yea, i actually think my limiting factor is my GPA. my undergrad gpa was a 3.22 (my grad gpa is a 3.77, but i don't think it's enough to make up for my undergrad work). right now i'm reluctant to apply again, just because the rejection stings so much, but i wouldn't be surprised if did apply in oct. i want to talk about my application, but i didn't know if it required me to go to UMD. I'm in New Hampshire right now, so it'll be kind of difficult to get down for that. Hopefully i'll be able to call instead.

anyway, i'm so happy for you that you got in. i guess the 3rd time really is the charm - hopefully it'll be that way for me too!

I did my rejection talk over the phone, just call Joyce and ask her to set up a phone interview with you, and she'll get all the materials together and you can go over it. Be sure to take notes as well, and find out what they thought of each your components (GPA, experience etc.) so you can figure out what to work on. I would also not wait too long, since you don't have that many more months until you have to turn in your next application!:laugh:

I called today and received a big fact REJECTION. I feel so horrible. I still have to hear from two schools for interviews and one school for acceptance (crossing fingers!), but I feel so discouraged. I really was hoping I was accepted.

I was so hoping that I could get just one acceptance and relax for the rest.

When I gained some composure (tomorrow) I will call Joyce and set up an appointment to see what I can improve on.

Agh. The disappointment.

I'm so excited for you, Pandacinny!
Congratulations to you and all the others who were accepted, and best of luck with your other schools to those who weren't (yet).

Congrats to you all that got accepted!!! I will be applying hopefully for the class of 2015, seems like such a long way from now. Does anyone know if the open house in April is only for students who already got accepted? I was planning on attending with my bf, I don't want to be the only there who isn't an already accepted student, do you think it will be ok if he tags along too????

I called today and received a big fact REJECTION. I feel so horrible. I still have to hear from two schools for interviews and one school for acceptance (crossing fingers!), but I feel so discouraged. I really was hoping I was accepted.

I was so hoping that I could get just one acceptance and relax for the rest.

When I gained some composure (tomorrow) I will call Joyce and set up an appointment to see what I can improve on.

Agh. The disappointment.

I know how you feel! it really stings when you've come this far just to be rejected. i'm going to call joyce eventually to figure out what i need to improve on, then i'll consider moving on to round 3. i am still waiting to hear back from 2 schools also, but i believe that if i can't even get into my in-state school, i wont be able to get into any other schools as an OOSer. good luck!

Last edited:
i believe that if i can't even get into my in-state school, i wont be able to get into any other schools as an OSSer. good luck!

this is so not true! The two don't really have any correlation--especially when you're talking about VMRCVM (I speak from experience!). Keep your chin up!

btw, I remember when I was an undergrad/VP of the pre-vet club there, they told us over and over again that it was virtually impossible for a VA resident to get accepted to a school west of the Mississippi...man, I so wished I had looked into that for myself instead of just believing them. ! Hope they're not still teaching that.

Anyways, good luck--you will both get there--I promise! Other schools have more flexible/holistic admissions criteria, that's for sure....! :luck: :love:

The open house is for everyone from students to the general public. Bring anyone, that's fine!!

Congrats to those who got in and, seriously, *hugs* to those who didn't - don't give up.

I'm waitlisted... does anyone have any experience with the IS (VA) wait list? I'm thinking with the economy so bad that there won't be many ISers going to an OS school if they got accepted IS :(

Could any current VMRCVM students tell me what life is like there? Is the cost of living any more or less than, say, the DC or Baltimore metro area? Do most students rent apartments or homes or trailers? Are many rentals pet friendly? Things like that!

Also, my SO is thinking of moving with me for a year or so before starting grad school. Anyone know about job availability in the area (nothing specialized - just typical interim jobs after college like working at a store or restaurant, etc.) I'm concerned that, what with it being a college town, he'll have trouble finding work around Blacksburg because there are so many students who want jobs.

gone

Last edited:
And a pretty good local music scene too, once you find it. If you're into old school punk (we have some GREAT local punk bands), metal, folk rock, bluegrass, anything really....it's here.

Blacksburg is a really nice close knit community, both students and townies (after living here for almost 8 years I practically consider myself a townie, heh). Everyone says hi to each other, everyone's very friendly...good laid back Southern VA hospitality. I currently rent a cute little trailer with 2.5 acres of fenced land for 550/mo. I agree though, heat can be very expensive in winter.....I use my wood stove a LOT. Its quite easy to find pet friendly apartments. I have a dog, a cat, and multiple reptiles and only had to do a little bit extra searching to find a place (I lived in apartments my 6 years here). Most require a deposit of around 200 bucks, but that's about it. And there are always lots of vet students looking for roommates, usually in 3 bedroom houses and that sort of thing.

Last edited:
not that I think anyone would want to live there, but Foxridge has free heat. I lived there for 3 years during my undergrad and it was really nice being able to leave the heat on 65 24-7. The complex is a little removed from campus/other apartments, so that can kind of suck.

I went to undergrad in Blacksburg, and I plan to stay here after vet school too.

The cost of living is incredibly reasonable, I think. Our rent is only 635/mo for a 2br 1ba, which includes heat, water, sewage, trash, and gas. It also includes 15/mo in pet fees. I think the more expensive places to live in the area run around 800 for a 1br 1ba.

Electric bill runs from about 28/mo in the winter to about 35 or 40 in the dead heat of summer. Winters can get really windy and cold so I would really recommend trying to find a place with free heat.

I love that everything is so close together. Most everything is within walking distance (if you like to walk), and all of the bigger companies (like Wal-Mart) are a few miles away in Christiansburg.

The people are generally incredibly friendly, and it's definitely a town that is college student-friendly.

Hope this helps! My husband and I definitely plan on raising a family in this little college town.

Did any Marylanders on here get selected as alternates? I would have thought there was at least one of us on here...

So, I am considering VMRCVM vs. Penn right now. Obviously a major factor is cost (IS vs. OOS)!! But I was wondering if any current students or people who know more about the program than I do could give me some insight into a few questions!

I am definitely planning on tracking equine at either school. How strong would you say VMRCVM's program is for equine? How diverse/large is the caseload? Any sense of how graduates place for internships? Basically, any input in this area would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!! :D

Our equine load is pretty good - I know many of the clinicians/residents and they are always busy (and very friendly). http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/vth/la/index.asp

The people in Equine Field Service are great, too. They go out and do all the field stuff, the medicine/surg people take the in house stuff, but there is a great deal of overlap.

The majority of our "Large Animal Clinical Services" caseload is equine. Our mobile PMM (Production Management Medicine) takes care of all of the food animal cases (a lot of them too). If you wanted to ask any questions, try Dr. David Hodgson or Dr. Crisman (Crisman is awesome but not the best email returner)

we have our "sister teaching hospital", the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center, up in Leesburg that is purely equine and is pretty impressive also: http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/emc/index.asp Eq trackers do some rotations there.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone accepted, especially pandacinny, who was there for both of my cycles :) There are people in our class who are superstars who did not get in the first or second time so you'll be just fine! I include myself in that category of course, ha ha!

What are you talking about? I got in the first time :D

And SUPER Congrats to Pandacinny! Can't wait to meet you in person (maybe I have?).:thumbup:

I'm waitlisted... does anyone have any experience with the IS (VA) wait list? I'm thinking with the economy so bad that there won't be many ISers going to an OS school if they got accepted IS :(

I know at least one person in our class that got his acceptance 2 weeks before school started (or less?). Don't want to give you false hope, but it does move. I don't know about everyone, but at least two people got waitlisted last year and got in (IS).

Can any current students shred some light as to where is a safe area to live close to campus? Is area within walking distance around campus safe to live?

When would be a good time to start looking for a place to live? :confused:

Honestly, I can't think of any UNsafe place to live in the 'burg (despite the recent crazy incident).....

I've lived here for seven years and in various different places, from 15 miles off campus to right on Main Street. The only real difference in places is how much "town noise" you can deal with (and except during football games, it isn't really bad

I feel just as safe out here in a house as I did living right in the middle of town (ie in walking distance of school). The vet school is on the far end of campus from where all the apartments are, so even if you live right on Main Street it is a good walk. A bike would be helpful. But we have tons of buses of course, as well.

Start really looking near the end of this semester because that is when people will be moving out.

How early do most people move in or start renting? I have a lease here that ends in July. I can't break it early unless I find someone to replace me (which I'm working on - I rent with a family member and don't want her stuck alone!) I'd rather not pay two sets of rent any longer than I have to, you know?

Also, I'm planning to fill out my FAFSA this weekend. How soon do most people get financial aid disbursed? Is it not until August or is more like June/July? (Sorry to ask such dumb questions! I've only had to do FAFSA once before and it was like three years ago. I'm kind of clueless about student loans.)

I remember getting my first refund during Orientation week, so early August (yeah sucks I know). People generally don't move in until right before school, although you can definitely move in summer if you want in order to enjoy the quiet (the burg is SO nice in the summer). I can't really speak much on that point cause I already lived here....but most people arrive in late July/easy Aug I believe...

I just found this board. I got in too (got my letter Saturday)! It was my fourth time applying (3 interviews) so if you don't get in find out why and try again.

Anything we should watch out for when finding apartment? Seems like whether it includes heat is a big concern...any other things???

I'm so clueless.....:rolleyes:

I have to put in a vote for Christiansburg. I bought a house, and there is no way I could afford Blacksburg, which is ridiculously expensive to buy in. I love Christiansburg because I am a bit older and like how it is a "normal" town, instead of the transient feeling that Blacksburg has, not that Blacksburg isn't nice too :) . The drive is also really nice because it is straight up the bypass to school, so time-wise it is the same as if I were in some parts of Blacksburg because of the lights and traffic there. Houses are also cheap here in Cburg, so I actually pay less in mortgage every month than I would to rent, because I rent out my basement to a graduate student.

I can't think of any unsafe areas in Blacksburg either, but you might want to avoid university row, which I don't know where is, but I am sure that someone else on the board can tell you the streets. Apparently it is full of undergrads and quite loud on weekends.

As for cost of living, it is quite cheap to live here, and why I ultimately decided to stay IS instead of accepting that oh so tempting WI spot (with the $1000 parking!). I think your education is what you make of it, so I don't know that I would get too worked up about the caseload differences. Those things would be more important when looking at residencies in my opinion.

You can get a spot close to when the semester starts or earlier, there is lots of turnover all summer. You can get on the VA tech website and find the graduate housing board and look there.

PS: my roommate is moving out after finishing his dissertation in May and my basement will be up for rent. 1200 sq. feet, your own bathroom, private entrance, and dog (1) friendly. PM me if you want more details :)

Last edited:
Okay, another question: Do most people at VMRCVM get a part time job while in school, or is it just impossible to balance school with work? Also, do student loans pay enough to cover school costs AND let you buy and pay rent, or will you basically need some extra income/extra savings?

Man, I'm sorry I ask so many basic questions, but thanks SO much to everyone for patiently answering them!!

I have a part time job, and many other students do too, but it's also possible to live just off of loans if you're careful to keep rent and bills low. I've just always had at least one part time job during school since I was 16 or so, so I feel weird not having one. It's definitely possible to have a low stress part time job during school. Plus I live alone (550/mo in just rent) so my costs are greater than some.

Another good key is getting good health insurance! There is a specific deductible required by the school in terms of your insurance plan, so you need to make sure your plan fits that...but I have insurance through Va tech right now and it is damned expensive (about 580$ per quarter), I definitely recommend shopping around.

Another good way to keep costs down is in terms of books. I haven't had to buy tooooooo many books, but it is always good to look for used ones. My Internal Medicine and Surgery books are all slightly earlier editions too, which are just as good but MUCH cheaper.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Is it easy to get a vet tech job in or outside of school?

gone

Last edited:
I'm a first year and I will be looking for a roommate for next year. I lived by myself this year, but I just can't afford to do that again. I do have 2 dogs and 2 cats though... But I'm about a 7 min drive from the vet school. Just thought I'd put it out there.

And for jobs... I work in the SA ICU twice a week. It's just nice to have a little extra cash coming in and I feel that working a few nights a week helps me budget my time a little better when I study. I was wondering if any other current students on here had any suggestions for summer jobs in the area? I have a feeling that it would be really hard to find a job down here and, ideally, I do not want to pack up my stuff and head to another town for the summer just so I can have ajob... ideas?

I'm going to the open house in April. Any suggestions on cheap hotels for a night?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all the information and suggestions, exp. WhtsThFrequency, Shipfleeper and Jochebed. It's just scary moving so far away for me, and all the info sure helped. :thumbup:

I won't be going to the orientation at April, it just cost too much money to travel for me. Hopefully I won't miss out too much.

As for "Vet Tech" jobs, in the state that I'm in, you don't necessary need to be licenced to do tech work, you just need to have the training. I just want to find a part time job that could give me some hands-on experience while making a little $$. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm under the perception that the first 1-3 years of the curriculum is mostly classroom base and doesn't have a lot of hands on training. And how many hours do you guys work, I'm a little worry about the course-load too.

gone

Last edited: