Volunteer Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canine_equine13

Ohio State c/o 2022!!
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone on or heard of GoEco volunteer abroad trips?? I am toying with the idea of going abroad not affiliated with a program through my university, but am having a hard time finding a program truly veterinary based, and also, that's legitimate and not a scam. I've heard Loop Abroad is a popular one too?

I am also at a crossroads because even if I spend thousands of dollars on a volunteer trip, that doesn't guarantee that I'll get in...but if I do spend the money and go, that also doesn't mean I won't get in....kind of where my head is at.

Thoughts on "volunteering abroad" in general and if you truly think it'll have this huge impact on my VMCAS? Or if it's just kind of looked at as another thing...

Did any of you go abroad somewhere and feel like it truly is what "got you in?" If so, where did you go?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gone on or heard of GoEco volunteer abroad trips?? I am toying with the idea of going abroad not affiliated with a program through my university, but am having a hard time finding a program truly veterinary based, and also, that's legitimate and not a scam. I've heard Loop Abroad is a popular one too?

I am also at a crossroads because even if I spend thousands of dollars on a volunteer trip, that doesn't guarantee that I'll get in...but if I do spend the money and go, that also doesn't mean I won't get in....kind of where my head is at.

Thoughts on "volunteering abroad" in general and if you truly think it'll have this huge impact on my VMCAS? Or if it's just kind of looked at as another thing...

Did any of you go abroad somewhere and feel like it truly is what "got you in?" If so, where did you go?

Thanks!

So many people do these trips, that I honestly don't think schools view them as anything extraordinary. I had a friend do a Loop Abroad trip and had an amazing time....but it was also crazy expensive. Another friend went on a couple VIDA trips, which I think are cheaper. I never went on any of these trips...couldn't really justify the cost while in undergrad (definitely more economical ways to study abroad). If you do it, do it because you want to go and have a good time and maybe learn some stuff, don't do it because you want a huge application boost.

Reactions: 4 users
Admission committees are also seemingly starting to know which are legitimately helpful volunteering and which are make you feel good voluntouring. I never went on one myself, but I've heard people who have tried different trips say that some are more work while others are more play.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't really go through a vet specific abroad program, but I have been to Honduras 3 times, each a one week trip over the summer. These were more community outreach trips than anything to do with animals.

I also did a two week study abroad over January last year to the Galapagos Islands for a 3 cr. Sustainability and biodiversity class, which was amazing.

I definitely think that my abroad experience helped me get into schools, and I connected with several interviewers through these experiences, especially at Purdue which emphasizes abroad experiences in vet school. However, I don't think it's necessarily a make-or-break either.

I agree with @batsenecal, abroad veterinary programs are definitely becoming more common, so I would maybe consider other types of programs that will help you build a strong application and also fill areas on your application you may be currently lacking. You don't need to go abroad to get veterinary experience, although for some people that may really help their application. I think it's a personal call, but I hope my rambling was helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks!
There are many legitimate veterinary based volunteer programs abroad. I won't comment on whether or not it will help you get in, but if you're looking for legitimate programs there are several. When you are looking these up, ask if they have any previous volunteers who are willing to email with you about past experiences.......There's Veterinarians Without Borders https://www.vetswithoutborders.ca/ (Canada) or Vets Without Borders US http://vetswithoutbordersus.org/, World Vets http://worldvets.org/, Christian Veterinary Mission http://cvmusa.org/, ViDAS http://vidas.org/, Esther Honey Foundation (http://estherhoney.org/)

Reactions: 1 user
I went on wildlife veterinary experience, also called African conservation experience about 5 years ago. It was absolutely one of the best times of my life and was very legit. They put us up with a host family that ended up being like my second parents and it was extremely hands on. Got to help palpate cows for pregnancy, give vaccines to tons of different wildlife animals, go up in a helicopter while the doctors darted the animals, among many other things.

It was amazing and I highly recommended it. There are several different programs you can do and some are better than others so you may have to do a little research on which one best fits your interests. It was pretty expensive, but I fundraised extensively and raised almost the whole amount for the trip including spending money.

Lesley University owns a company called Broadreach that does veterinary-related trips to Costa Rica. I went last summer and thought it was a lot of fun, but not really sure it helped me vet experience-wise. You can get college credit for it though, which is nice. The Broadreach Foundation offers a scholarship that will discount the tuition by a big chunk so you can look into that as well.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

So many people do these trips, that I honestly don't think schools view them as anything extraordinary. I had a friend do a Loop Abroad trip and had an amazing time....but it was also crazy expensive. Another friend went on a couple VIDA trips, which I think are cheaper. I never went on any of these trips...couldn't really justify the cost while in undergrad (definitely more economical ways to study abroad). If you do it, do it because you want to go and have a good time and maybe learn some stuff, don't do it because you want a huge application boost.

I am curious to know how many applicants do go on these trips. Someone once told me it's "so rare" but I feel like it's more common then I was initially told. And oh even though I came across that way, I definitely would not just be doing it as an application booster, I am super interested in this African one, but it's just soooo expensive. Even though it would technically in the end be worth it for the experience, I just don't want to spend alllll that money and then it also not even help me into vet school, kind of like a lose-lose situation (lose money, lose not getting into vet school...)...technically "win" experience. :/ I was also thinking, even though it looks great on a resume or application, I honestly don't have much interest in trying to pursue wildlife vet medicine, I just think it'd be an awesome experience and would be really cool to say I helped do procedures on a lion and such. Ah, still torn..

I didn't really go through a vet specific abroad program, but I have been to Honduras 3 times, each a one week trip over the summer. These were more community outreach trips than anything to do with animals.

I also did a two week study abroad over January last year to the Galapagos Islands for a 3 cr. Sustainability and biodiversity class, which was amazing.

I definitely think that my abroad experience helped me get into schools, and I connected with several interviewers through these experiences, especially at Purdue which emphasizes abroad experiences in vet school. However, I don't think it's necessarily a make-or-break either.

I agree with @batsenecal, abroad veterinary programs are definitely becoming more common, so I would maybe consider other types of programs that will help you build a strong application and also fill areas on your application you may be currently lacking. You don't need to go abroad to get veterinary experience, although for some people that may really help their application. I think it's a personal call, but I hope my rambling was helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First off, congrats on getting accepted into the c/o 2021!!! If you don't mind me asking, where are you attending? Wow, you have been all over! I also have a personal anxiety about flying, so that's another factor holding me back on going abroad for something. But yeah, hah, your rambling was insightful - thanks!

I am curious to know how many applicants do go on these trips. Someone once told me it's "so rare" but I feel like it's more common then I was initially told. And oh even though I came across that way, I definitely would not just be doing it as an application booster, I am super interested in this African one, but it's just soooo expensive. Even though it would technically in the end be worth it for the experience, I just don't want to spend alllll that money and then it also not even help me into vet school, kind of like a lose-lose situation (lose money, lose not getting into vet school...)...technically "win" experience. :/ I was also thinking, even though it looks great on a resume or application, I honestly don't have much interest in trying to pursue wildlife vet medicine, I just think it'd be an awesome experience and would be really cool to say I helped do procedures on a lion and such. Ah, still torn..
Don't do it to just "get in." If you want to travel and have those experiences, sure, but adcoms absolutely know that most of these things are basically buying an experience.

I did a couple things abroad as a pre-vet and vet student, and I love traveling. But those things aren't what gets you into vet school or a job - they're an interesting talking point, sure, but good grades, understanding of the profession and experiences does that much better (and more cheaply).

Reactions: 4 users
I went on wildlife veterinary experience, also called African conservation experience about 5 years ago. It was absolutely one of the best times of my life and was very legit. They put us up with a host family that ended up being like my second parents and it was extremely hands on. Got to help palpate cows for pregnancy, give vaccines to tons of different wildlife animals, go up in a helicopter while the doctors darted the animals, among many other things.

It was amazing and I highly recommended it. There are several different programs you can do and some are better than others so you may have to do a little research on which one best fits your interests. It was pretty expensive, but I fundraised extensively and raised almost the whole amount for the trip including spending money.

Hmm...this sort of sounds like one I am interested in. I have already palpated cows and given injections to them, so that's why I'm stuck because I don't want to spend all that money to go to another country just to do something I have already done. The African one I was looking at involves more work with lions and antelope though...Ah, I'm still stuck, thanks for your reply. It sounds like you had a great time! I also have to get over my personal anxieties with flying if I really want to pursue an abroad trip. :/

First off, congrats on getting accepted into the c/o 2021!!! If you don't mind me asking, where are you attending? Wow, you have been all over! I also have a personal anxiety about flying, so that's another factor holding me back on going abroad for something. But yeah, hah, your rambling was insightful - thanks!
Thank you! I have been accepted to LMU and Purdue and am still waiting to hear back from Illinois. I am still undecided but am leaning toward Purdue! And as far as flying goes, it really isn't bad! Just make sure you get to the airport early, security is definitely the worst part.

I agree with what other people are saying, don't just go abroad for a vet application, go somewhere because you want to. Also look and see if you can take a course that fills a major requirement if you do decide to go, you might as well make it worth-while for your current studies.

Don't do it to just "get in." If you want to travel and have those experiences, sure, but adcoms absolutely know that most of these things are basically buying an experience.

I did a couple things abroad as a pre-vet and vet student, and I love traveling. But those things aren't what gets you into vet school or a job - they're an interesting talking point, sure, but good grades, understanding of the profession and experiences does that much better (and more cheaply).

Hmm..I never thought about it that way. Thanks. It's like I don't want them to not consider me just because I didn't want to spend the money for these trips (nor do I have a liking for flying)...(wow so many double negatives in that sentence). But I'm not naive to think there could be a person next to me who did go on all these trips who does have a better chance of getting in because of them:shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm..I never thought about it that way. Thanks. It's like I don't want them to not consider me just because I didn't want to spend the money for these trips (nor do I have a liking for flying)...(wow so many double negatives in that sentence). But I'm not naive to think there could be a person next to me who did go on all these trips who does have a better chance of getting in because of them:shrug:

Two of my friends did not have abroad experience and still got accepted to multiple schools, so abroad is not a make-or-break thing. If you are well rounded in other areas of your application, I honestly don't think it's necessary.

Thank you! I have been accepted to LMU and Purdue and am still waiting to hear back from Illinois. I am still undecided but am leaning toward Purdue! And as far as flying goes, it really isn't bad! Just make sure you get to the airport early, security is definitely the worst part.

I agree with what other people are saying, don't just go abroad for a vet application, go somewhere because you want to. Also look and see if you can take a course that fills a major requirement if you do decide to go, you might as well make it worth-while for your current studies.

Oh nice, I know a few doctors who went to Purdue and they are doing excellent in their careers and have only said great things about it. My university does offer this one South Africa trip for credit but it's more conservation based with a small splash of veterinary experience thrown in there, and if I'm going to go to spend all that money, I want to make it worth my while and get all the veterinary experience I can get. Although, starting to lean towards not going....no matter how amazing the program I have researched looks and how cool it would be to do all that, maybe it's just not for me.

You do not have to go abroad to get into vet school, period. They're something to talk about, and I do personally think traveling is something that makes people better in general, but it's absolutely not a hard requirement and I'd say that the majority of people who get in don't have some sort of trip like that.

I started the VIDA trips at my undergrad (they're still going yearly to this day), and when I talked about that experience I didn't focus on the actual vet experience in Costa Rica... I focused on coordinating people, holding info sessions, things like that. Because anybody can spend the couple grand and go help spay animals, but the other soft skills are honestly more applicable to day to day as a vet. Those sorts of trips are amazing experiences, but they're usually only a couple dozen vet experience hours and its nothing like veterinary practice in the US.

Reactions: 5 users
It's a 'cool' thing to do but it certainly won't be a tipping point on anyone's application. Like Trilt said, you pay for it, you get in. There's no basis of merit, no very competitive admissions process or really a whole lot of veterinary experiences. You can be assured that working a full time job as a vet assistant over the summer would be worth more. That's far more selective, based on merit and worth more veterinary hours. Bonus too, in the future you have a great place to get references from.
Still, they're fun and insightful but I wouldn't put too much bank on it. I would say a lot of my classmates probably haven't been on them but they have far more diverse experiences, working in a zoo for example.

It's like any volunteer job -- you should do it if you want to help the charity and/or enjoy the experience. Don't do it for what you might get out of it.

You do not have to go abroad to get into vet school, period. They're something to talk about, and I do personally think traveling is something that makes people better in general, but it's absolutely not a hard requirement and I'd say that the majority of people who get in don't have some sort of trip like that.

I started the VIDA trips at my undergrad (they're still going yearly to this day), and when I talked about that experience I didn't focus on the actual vet experience in Costa Rica... I focused on coordinating people, holding info sessions, things like that. Because anybody can spend the couple grand and go help spay animals, but the other soft skills are honestly more applicable to day to day as a vet. Those sorts of trips are amazing experiences, but they're usually only a couple dozen vet experience hours and its nothing like veterinary practice in the US.
Right.....I can't think of a single person in my vet class that had any international vet volunteer experience - it's flashy, but that could just as easily work against you as for you. It's also not really applicable experience (to what you'll be doing in school or in practice), so there are really better ways to get applicable experiences than going to Africa or South America to spay dogs or help with goat herds.

If you really want to volunteer in order to help but can't travel far, you could work in the US with a group like RAVS; if you really want to travel abroad, there are several groups like VIDA or VWB that you can work with; if you want to improve your application, probably neither of those will look any better and won't give you as many hours as what you can do locally.

We have several people who went on these trips. Which is why think it's no longer a flashy part of an application. It's a "trendy" thing to do (especially if you look at the APVMA facebook page) which no longer makes it special.

I did go on a Go Eco trip to Australia, but that was after I had already gotten into vet school so I did not use it on my application. It was animal related but not really veterinary related, and was the first time I could ever afford to leave the country (and Go Eco was the cheapest I could afford that interested me). I think vet schools recognize that you're paying for the experience and you can make it however you wish, so there's really no guarantee to them that it made you more well rounded (we actually had people on my trip that were basically there for the pictures).

I know a few people that went on trips that did not get into vet school the first time. I did it for both the trip experience and to get experience with animals I don't get to see much here. I think adcoms know many people are just doing it to have a good time traveling. While there's nothing wrong with that, it probably won't help you to stand out much on your application.

Reactions: 1 users
What about RAVS? It's not abroad but it's pretty legit, also not as costly.

http://www.ruralareavet.org/

Edit: I did VIDA, but I in no way think that's what got me in. In fact, I applied for try #2 after VIDA and didn't get in. I got in on apply #3, which involved more coursework, more experience, better references, and a rewritten PS. So it's not like some magic thing, yanno?

Thanks for all of your guys' inputs! It really makes me feel a little better knowing it's not as a big deal as I was originally under the impression it was.