volunteer abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolislife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting to plan my summer, and I'm wondering how best to spend it. specifically, whether or not volunteering abroad is worthwhile.

I'm a sophomore in college and I have plenty of research experience from high school and last summer. 2 publications. Plus in high school, I volunteered in a hospital for 8 hours a day for almost 2 months.

That said, I feel good about the amount of "extra stuff" i have for a med school app. I will continue to do research throughout college and maybe I will get in a little more volunteering work, but if I want to travel abroad, this is the only summer to do it.

How helpful to a med school app would it be to have spent a month or more abroad doing volunteer medical related work? (assume i can apply and make it to such a program). Would it be more helpful to do other things?

also, on another note, does my high school volunteer/research count? tbh, shadowing doctors step for step is the only reason i was convinced to be a doctor. I followed them from the clinic to the operating rooms, so i personally think it was quite the experience. would med schools not feel the same given it was in high school?

research wise, im fearful med schools will not take my high school publication seriously, but the project was in computational biology, and i knew a ton of programming, so I actually contributed a fair amount.

Sorry about the long message, I planned just to ask about summer abroad, but this is my first post on sdn, and I realized I have a ton of questions about applying to med school. If you read this whole thing, I really appreciate it. i know you can do this **** on collegeconfidential, but being unfamiliar with sdn, sorry if this is a stupid post.

Members don't see this ad.

Avoid the checkbox mentality.

If you enjoy something like helping people or advancing scientific knowledge, why stop doing it?

You can list what you did in HS on your application but if there is a lot of HS activity and little college activity, the question becomes "what have you done lately?"

Have you volunteered in your local area or in an impoverished area of the US? You need not go abroad to see poverty and help people in need. Consider that. With the skills you have, there isn't much you can do for poor folks overseas. This isn't to say that you can't go abroad as a physician or surgeon after you are licensed as a physician.

I had a lot of great activities on my app, but the one that I was asked most about at interviews was my 2 weeks volunteering abroad. I was surprised, since it was only 2 weeks, but they seemed really interested in what I did and learned. I'm not saying that it necessarily got me in places, but based on their interest, I strongly would recommend it!

really? that's kinda surprising.

a lot of ppl on SDN claim that adcoms look down on short term international experiences

but good for you!

also, was your abroad volunteering medical related?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a lot of great activities on my app, but the one that I was asked most about at interviews was my 2 weeks volunteering abroad. I was surprised, since it was only 2 weeks, but they seemed really interested in what I did and learned. I'm not saying that it necessarily got me in places, but based on their interest, I strongly would recommend it!

Don't confuse what you are asked about in an interview with what adcoms are impressed by. Those of us who are doing 100 interviews per year want to talk about something other than the same old, same old (tutoring chemistry, volunteering in the emergency room, working for Kaplan). Getting someone to talk about anything makes it possible to assess their communication skills and personality which is a big reason for the interview.

Don't confuse what you are asked about in an interview with what adcoms are impressed by. Those of us who are doing 100 interviews per year want to talk about something other than the same old, same old (tutoring chemistry, volunteering in the emergency room, working for Kaplan). Getting someone to talk about anything makes it possible to assess their communication skills and personality which is a big reason for the interview.

Wowww I never thought of it that way. Mind = Blown

Starting to plan my summer, and I'm wondering how best to spend it. specifically, whether or not volunteering abroad is worthwhile.

I'm a sophomore in college and I have plenty of research experience from high school and last summer. 2 publications. Plus in high school, I volunteered in a hospital for 8 hours a day for almost 2 months.

That said, I feel good about the amount of "extra stuff" i have for a med school app. I will continue to do research throughout college and maybe I will get in a little more volunteering work, but if I want to travel abroad, this is the only summer to do it.

How helpful to a med school app would it be to have spent a month or more abroad doing volunteer medical related work? (assume i can apply and make it to such a program). Would it be more helpful to do other things?

also, on another note, does my high school volunteer/research count? tbh, shadowing doctors step for step is the only reason i was convinced to be a doctor. I followed them from the clinic to the operating rooms, so i personally think it was quite the experience. would med schools not feel the same given it was in high school?

research wise, im fearful med schools will not take my high school publication seriously, but the project was in computational biology, and i knew a ton of programming, so I actually contributed a fair amount.

Sorry about the long message, I planned just to ask about summer abroad, but this is my first post on sdn, and I realized I have a ton of questions about applying to med school. If you read this whole thing, I really appreciate it. i know you can do this **** on collegeconfidential, but being unfamiliar with sdn, sorry if this is a stupid post.

go for it, and i hope you learn a thing or two
in the end, regardless of the interview, people will be able to see your growth in character and maturity from what you learn and take in as you expand your perspective

in my own experiences, i took a year off and went on medical missions for about 10 months after my sophomore year - and it was one of the most rewarding and eye opening experiences i've had in my life

still when i reflect about that time, i learn new things from the different struggles, new experiences, and most importantly people i've met

:) hope that is a good response

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=939427

That is a good thread to look at for some perspectives on Medical Missions. There is input there from:

- An Adcom member
- Med students who participate in interviews
- People who have gone on medical missions
- A link to an article by a doctor who is heavily involved in medical missions and has some interesting questions to pose
- Someone who has been on the "local" end of medical missions.

One thing to keep in mind is that medical missions are not (or should not be) only about you and what you get out of it. You are having an impact and it is not always in a good way.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=939427

That is a good thread to look at for some perspectives on Medical Missions. There is input there from:

- An Adcom member
- Med students who participate in interviews
- People who have gone on medical missions
- A link to an article by a doctor who is heavily involved in medical missions and has some interesting questions to pose
- Someone who has been on the "local" end of medical missions.

One thing to keep in mind is that medical missions are not (or should not be) only about you and what you get out of it. You are having an impact and it is not always in a good way.

well said.

my undergrad has plenty of these types of medical missions led/run entirely by students. they are pretty disastrous, to put it kindly.

however, this is not to discredit all medical missions. i am sure that there are excellent medical missions run by PROFESSIONAL organizations that both serve the local community and offer a valuable experience for students.

if you are considering a medical mission, make sure to do your research before committing time and well over $1000 of your hard earned money.

well said.

my undergrad has plenty of these types of medical missions led/run entirely by students. they are pretty disastrous, to put it kindly.

however, this is not to discredit all medical missions. i am sure that there are excellent medical missions run by PROFESSIONAL organizations that both serve the local community and offer a valuable experience for students.

if you are considering a medical mission, make sure to do your research before committing time and well over $1000 of your hard earned money

Precisely the problem. Why pay $1000 to go volunteer abroad when you have an abundance of people and organizations here in the US who could use your hands and your money? Does helping African children in some remote village make you more of an altruistic humanitarian than if you helped black kids in the inner city? And why aren't more professionals in those poor countries organizing these ventures? Likely because they are moving in droves to the US and other western countries since there is too much to do and few people are willing to bite the bullet.

Why is the focus not in programs which enable the local people to take care of themselves? Is it impossible for college students in African universities for example to go volunteer in their own local communities? And have you considered that what you are coming to do as a volunteer could be a job opportunity taken away from a local because you would do it for free?

And what about when some kind of conflict breaks out (as they almost always do) and your embassy evacuates you and other foreign aid workers, who provides the medical care then?

Go read that thread again carefully.

Yeah... I never thought about it like that!!! Wow

Thanks for providing a very critical point. Activities are done with interest, and it's essential to avoid emphazing cliched activities...

Also, let's steer away from medical mission trips argument.

Thanks for providing a very critical point. Activities are done with interest, and it's essential to avoid emphazing cliched activities...

what would you consider as cliched activities? things that everyone does?

arent these cliched activities some of the most important as well?

B, sweetie...
In case you missed it, this thread is about the "medical mission trip argument"

How helpful to a med school app would it be to have spent a month or more abroad doing volunteer medical related work?
(assume i can apply and make it to such a program). Would it be more helpful to do other things?

Avoid the checkbox mentality.

If you enjoy something like helping people or advancing scientific knowledge, why stop doing it?

You can list what you did in HS on your application but if there is a lot of HS activity and little college activity, the question becomes "what have you done lately?"

Have you volunteered in your local area or in an impoverished area of the US? You need not go abroad to see poverty and help people in need. Consider that. With the skills you have, there isn't much you can do for poor folks overseas.
This isn't to say that you can't go abroad as a physician or surgeon after you are licensed as a physician.

really? that's kinda surprising.

a lot of ppl on SDN claim that adcoms look down on short term international experiences

but good for you!

also, was your abroad volunteering medical related?

I agree. But it was a good thing to discuss.

It was medical related. I guess I can't say- as LizzyM pointed out- what they thought of it for sure. But I think because when I described my experience, I was realistic in saying what I accomplishment and focused more on what I learned than what I achieved, and did so in a thoughtful way, it was a very positive part of my application. Also, I explained how I was planning another trip with a group for this coming summer.

go for it, and i hope you learn a thing or two
in the end, regardless of the interview, people will be able to see your growth in character and maturity from what you learn and take in as you expand your perspective

in my own experiences, i took a year off and went on medical missions for about 10 months after my sophomore year - and it was one of the most rewarding and eye opening experiences i've had in my life

still when i reflect about that time, i learn new things from the different struggles, new experiences, and most importantly people i've met

:) hope that is a good response

well said.

if you are considering a medical mission, make sure to do your research before committing time and well over $1000 of your hard earned money

what would you consider as cliched activities? things that everyone does?

arent these cliched activities some of the most important as well?

Many of the cliched activities are important (clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, research, tutoring, shadowing) but they might not be discussed at interview; the interviewer may want to talk about something out of the ordinary even if it isn't "as relevant to medicine" as some of your other activities. I've learned about making silver jewelry, being a baseball game hotdog vendor, buying, repairing & selling cameras and electronics on ebay, and bunches of other interesting stuff through interviews.

Many of the cliched activities are important (clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, research, tutoring, shadowing) but they might not be discussed at interview; the interviewer may want to talk about something out of the ordinary even if it isn't "as relevant to medicine" as some of your other activities. I've learned about making silver jewelry, being a baseball game hotdog vendor, buying, repairing & selling cameras and electronics on ebay, and bunches of other interesting stuff through interviews.

all things i have (most fairly substantially)

that's good news i guess :D

B, sweetie...
In case you missed it, this thread is about the "medical mission trip argument"

Oh. I thought the thread was about how to be unique in the interviews. :shrug: LizzyM's advice was very helpful and important, so I was focusing on that, rather than on the redundant controversy of mission trips (which is a useless debate).

Oh. I thought the thread was about how to be unique in the interviews. :shrug: LizzyM's advice was very helpful and important, so I was focusing on that, rather than on the redundant controversy of mission trips (which is a useless debate).

You can afford to call it redundant and a useless debate... I can't. ;)

The OP asked a bunch of questions, one of which referenced medical missions specifically. I commented on that aspect because that is where I feel i can legitimately say anything. It was that simple. I can't help it if people get defensive or insist on doing things even while being made aware of the potential harm they could be causing.

Oh yeah... check the thread title...

Last edited:
You can afford to call it redundant and a useless debate... I can't. ;)

The OP asked a bunch of questions, one of which referenced medical missions specifically. I commented on that aspect because that is where I feel i can legitimately say anything. It was that simple. I can't help it if people get defensive or insist on doing things even while being made aware of the potential harm they could be causing.

Oh yeah... check the thread title...

Sigh... you win (again). :bow:

whiteflag.jpg

Sigh... you win (again). :bow:

whiteflag.jpg

:laugh: I really wasn't trying to pick a fight with you. I think it is hilarious that I almost always find myself in tussles when on this forum...