Volunteer or Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpticDean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently volunteering at a hospital pharmacy. I have a chance to become employed there, but I prefer to volunteer because it is more flexible as far as schedule goes. I plan to remain at that pharmacy until I am admitted to a pharm school. My question is: would it make a difference if I was employed for some time, or am I fine just volunteering, and I mean to the admissions committee? I wouldnt mind becoming employed, its just that I have no reason to, I'm not desperate for money or anything. I get just as good experience by volunteering. Gimme some advice. :)

Dean

Members don't see this ad.

Just is just my opinion, but all other things equal, I would take the applicant with the job over the volunteer. While flexibility is nice, I would view the applicant with a job to have time-management skills. That, and perhaps a better knowledge of what working in the profession is like.

That's just an opinion, and your volunteer position may blow paid positions out of the water. But keep in mind that this opinion came from someone who knows just about nothing about you-kinda like your admissions committee will know little about you.

FWIW. Good luck with whatever way you decide.

Ok, thanks man. Who knows, maybe I'll get employed for a while when things get closer to finish, I will have less classes to take then so it might work out OK. That way I will have volunteering and employment under my belt. Now THAT'S gotta satisfy everyone, right? :)

Thanks for your opinion!

Dean