Volunteer Work Selections come see...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmacistApril

Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am starting at Suny Albany this fall for pre-pharmacy, I since have applied to Albany Medical Center for some volunteer work. I wanted to find out which would be the better choice to choose from for volunteer work to put on my pharmacy application.
Here are some of the departments I can choose from:

*Ambulatory Surgery

*Amenities Station

*Clerical

*Day Care Center

*Emergency Dept

*Lab Data

*Library Cart

*Nursing Units

*Pet Therapy

*Physical Therapy

*Special Assignments

*Thrift Shop

*Transportation
 
PharmacistApril said:
I am starting at Suny Albany this fall for pre-pharmacy, I since have applied to Albany Medical Center for some volunteer work. I wanted to find out which would be the better choice to choose from for volunteer work to put on my pharmacy application.
Here are some of the departments I can choose from:

*Ambulatory Surgery

*Amenities Station

*Clerical

*Day Care Center

*Emergency Dept

*Lab Data

*Library Cart

*Nursing Units

*Pet Therapy

*Physical Therapy

*Special Assignments

*Thrift Shop

*Transportation

I think it depends on what kind of a pharmacist you want to be--clinical, retail, ect. If you're intersted in becoming a clinical pharmacist, then I think nursing units, Ambulatory Surgery, Physical Therapy or something along that line would be better. These positions allow you to work with patients hands-on or atleast you'll be able to observe how other health care professionals interact with patients. Hope that helps
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sdn1977 said:
Emergency Dept!


I fully agree with sdn1977. No where else are you going to see people in desperate need of meds. Sure, you can work in a nursing unit or in a department, but you're just going to be stuck filing papers, giving ice to patients, and not seeing any action. The closest you would probably get to medication, I would think, is when they're tubed up to the floor and distributed...but you're not going to learn much of what's used for what, dosage, etc. At least in the Emergency Dept, you'll get to see what they use to resuscitate someone, for example, see crash carts, etc etc.