Volunteerin other health settings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snake Doctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, is it okay to volunteer in other health settings like rehab for pod. schools? I'm not interested in the PT route but I think it'll be nice to understand other areas since podiatrists do refer patients to PTs and we're all ultimately a team of health professionals.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're trying to get your volunteer hours up then it's definitely okay, and in fact would give you a better understanding of the medical field by being exposed to various health care professionals. It would also look good on your applications because it shows that your decision to pursuing podiatry is legitimate because of all the experience that you have gained.

However, most pod schools will require you to have shadowing experience with a podiatrist.

If you're trying to get your volunteer hours up then it's definitely okay, and in fact would give you a better understanding of the medical field by being exposed to various health care professionals. It would also look good on your applications because it shows that your decision to pursuing podiatry is legitimate because of all the experience that you have gained.

However, most pod schools will require you to have shadowing experience with a podiatrist.

Thanks for your input! Yep, I have already shadowed one in a hospital setting and will shadow another one next month. I'm still a year from applying.