Volunteering Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinkocopies3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any good programs to volunteer abroad at a reasonable cost? Most of the programs that I have seen so far are just ridiculously expensive. I would love to volunteer abroad (Africa or Asia) if I come across a good program with a fair fee. Has anyone done this before or has experience in this area?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

kinkocopies3 said:
Are there any good programs to volunteer abroad at a reasonable cost? Most of the programs that I have seen so far are just ridiculously expensive. I would love to volunteer abroad (Africa or Asia) if I come across a good program with a fair fee. Has anyone done this before or has experience in this area?

Thanks!

Volunteering abroad is quite expensive if you are doing it through a program and so I suggest that you contact an NGO in the field of your interest and arrange an internship that way. (I went to South Africa with the assistance of a non-governmental organization and so only paid for airfare.) Another option, is to look into whether your college offers grants to students wanting to go abroad and to apply for one.

Good luck! :)

www.peacecorps.gov

Here's a quicktime video ad for Peace Corps

Sure it's two years of your life, but you won't pay a dime (in fact you get ~ $6000 when you finish). One of the greatest experiences I've ever had. Getting that first med school acceptance in the mail was cool, but it can't hold a candle to the feeling I get when thinking about my time in Africa.

Lot's of premeds freak out over the two years ("gotta go to med school as fast as I can!"), but it's worth every minute.

Good Luck,
BDT
RPCV Zim 97-99

Members don't see this ad :)
You could always do a semester abroad of ecology field research in an african country. Thats what I am plan on doing next year. Some programs have volunteer work encourporated into them.

fullefect1 said:
You could always do a semester abroad of ecology field research in an african country. Thats what I am plan on doing next year. Some programs have volunteer work encourporated into them.

thanks for all the advice everybody. i've actually always wanted to do peace corps, and if i weren't 29 and engaged, i probably would.

i'll look into NGOs...a great idea. do you have any advice on a particular organization to start with, TigerLillies? when i did some volunteer work abroad last summer, i did it all through personal contacts, so i have no idea where to start.

thanks again.

I would love to join the peace corps. I also wouldn't mind joining the military as a medic or something medical related (don't know much about it), just not at this day and age with the Iraqi "conflict".