Volunteering Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tayaki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to volunteer abroad this coming spring semester for veterinary charity work.

Unfortunately, most places that are found online are gap year programs are the like, asking for extravagant amounts of money, and my feeling uncomfortable as to where that money is going.

Has anyone volunteered abroad for a long period of time, such as a semester period? If so, would you mind sharing your contacts?

I don't mind where I end up: India, Africa, etc. I just feel as if I need to give back.

I'm currently at third year veterinary student.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Try RAVS (Rural Area Veterinary Services)

http://www.ruralareavet.org/

I'm pretty sure that most of the trips are free (except airfare). Although they work you very hard and accomodations are usually less-than-luxurious (tent, floor etc).

I plan on doing it when I'm a third year or so :D. You can spay/neuter if you pass certain tests/competencies.

ravs was great - i did 4 weekend clinics in 2005 as a pre-vet and a week-long clinic in 2007 as a vet student. you will work hard, but the experience is well worth your efforts.

guam animals in need also host a sterilisation clinic (see "The Annual SNAP Clinic" at the bottom of the page) sometime in february. i did it last year; again, you'll work pretty hard, but the experience is great. pm me if you would like more details.

i have classmates who do all sorts of work in southeast asia, too. i couldn't name the programmes, but i do know they exist.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
regarding RAVS, they only do week trips though, right?

it's just that i'm looking for something for a few months (spring semester)

thanks in advance!

regarding RAVS, they only do week trips though, right?

it's just that i'm looking for something for a few months (spring semester)

thanks in advance!

They normally do week or two week trips but there was a "intern" that I believe did two two week trips. I don't know how you get that position though. I would also check the pre vet student site there was a list of trips abroad I don't know how long they are.

I'm going to India next week for 10 days for a christian vet mission trip through christian veterinary missions (cvmusa.org). I am a part of them through my christian vet fellowship at Auburn's vet school. AU students travel all around the world through our club. It's pretty sweet.

I found this wildlife sanctuary a while ago. They don't have anything specific for veterinary students on their website, but an email might get you more info. You have to pay for some of your food, but housing is free. (And it's on an island in Greece!)

Last edited:
I'm thinking of voluteering at Pac Thailand animal hospital ---> http://pacthailand.org/
A vet nurse friend of mine volunteered there last year and loved it. I'm hoping to volunteer at the end of 2010 or mid 2011 in the uni breaks.

I also know a couple of vet students that had a great time volunteering at the Elephant Nature Park, also in Thailand ---> http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/

Have you also looked at worldvets? They do regular volunteer trips that look like a great experience.

I guess it just depends on the type of organisation you're looking for. Have fun!

World Vets has week-long volunteer programs where students get the opportunity to learn and practice surgery. Current programs are to Nicaragua, Mexico, Panama, Honduras, Belize, Tonga, Samoa, Jamaica, Peru and Romania. It cost $40 to join World Vets and all members are eligible to sign up for trips. Average trip cost is $500-$1000. Any student who has been on a trip will tell you the experience was well worth the investment. Large and small animal projects available. Trips typically fill up pretty quickly, but new trips are posted every few weeks. http://www.worldvets.org

Do you know how strict these people are in terms of Christianity? Do you have to proselytize all the time? Are you allowed to help someone without ever mentioning God? Do they test your Bible knowledge? What would they do if in the middle of a trip they found out you were atheist or Jewish?

To do a mission trip through CVM you have to fill out an application and it includes a LOR. The application asks you a lot about your Christianity and there is also a form for a pastor to fill out about you (in addition to having an LOR). As far as 'evangelizing' on these trips, that level varies greatly. I am not very comfortable 'forcing' people my religion on them, and for the most part I haven't heard of that happening on any of these trips. Some trips you are given the opportunity to talk to the locals about your religion, some have formal gatherings where locals come (willingly) to learn about it, and other times you are just out there in the world doing good in the name of God. In India we worked with a group (IGL- India Gospel League) and did purely vet stuff. We went to villages and associated with a Christian church (planted by IGL) in that village. The pastor was there with us and we had a list of the villagers that brought their animals to us. After we leave that village the pastor will go and visit those people. So technically we didn't do anything but treat animals, although it does go deeper than that. We travel around the world because we, as Christians, love everyone and (hopefully) they were able to see God's love through us- and that is why I went. But, like I said before, every trip is very different and I would recommend finding out more about the specific trip you want to go on.
They don't really test your 'bible knowledge.' They are more about sharing God's love with people all around the world. Our tshirt at our school says "Spreading God's love through veterinary medicine" and that is just what we do!
Because of the extensive application, I don't think there have been any times that a nonChristian will go on the trip. Also, the group that goes together usually meets and has bible studies before, during and sometimes after the trip.
CVM is a great organization that does a lot of good around the world. IGL is doing wonders in India. These are two really amazing groups :thumbup:

Last edited: