Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Volunteering at a Family Practice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BUmiken12, Aug 23, 2001.

1. BUmiken12

BUmiken12 Senior Member

What kind of jobs were some of you given when volunteering at a family practice? Also, in return for this volunteer work, I'd like to be able to shadow the doctor for a little while. How do I go about in asking this? Thanks a bunch...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

I haven't volunteered in a family practice, but I have shadowed in one. I will also be working for this physician next summer. Basically all you can do, considering our lack of training, is get files, take patients to rooms, learn to take vitals, and other stuff like this.

I also want to let you know that you don't have to "pay" for shadowing opportunities with volunteer work. I have shadowed several doctors, and none ever even hinted at any type of repayment, much less volunteer work. I'd advise you to just start calling doctors in your area and let them know you are interested in shadowing them. Most are very helpful, and none that I have ever heard of ask for volunteer work as payment.

If you don't want to randomly call physicians, try a pre-med advisor, or another health professions office. Most places like this can steer you in the right direction. Also, it's their job. :)