Volunteering at a Family Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUmiken12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of jobs were some of you given when volunteering at a family practice? Also, in return for this volunteer work, I'd like to be able to shadow the doctor for a little while. How do I go about in asking this? Thanks a bunch...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by BUmiken12:
•What kind of jobs were some of you given when volunteering at a family practice? Also, in return for this volunteer work, I'd like to be able to shadow the doctor for a little while. How do I go about in asking this? Thanks a bunch...•

I haven't volunteered in a family practice, but I have shadowed in one. I will also be working for this physician next summer. Basically all you can do, considering our lack of training, is get files, take patients to rooms, learn to take vitals, and other stuff like this.

I also want to let you know that you don't have to "pay" for shadowing opportunities with volunteer work. I have shadowed several doctors, and none ever even hinted at any type of repayment, much less volunteer work. I'd advise you to just start calling doctors in your area and let them know you are interested in shadowing them. Most are very helpful, and none that I have ever heard of ask for volunteer work as payment.

If you don't want to randomly call physicians, try a pre-med advisor, or another health professions office. Most places like this can steer you in the right direction. Also, it's their job. :)